Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

OT : Samsung Smart TV App Virus?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT : Samsung Smart TV App Virus?

I've got a Samsung PN63C8000 smart tv and this morning the smart apps update ran itself automatically.

It deleted all my existing apps and installed 45 new ones, including a TON of Russian named apps.

I'm not happy. This seems very shady.

Anyone else have this issue? I will do some searching online now to see what's going on.

Re: OT : Samsung Smart TV App Virus?

After the nutty install I mentioned above, only 6 apps showed up in the GUI - I didn't see the Russian ones. I tried to navigate between them and that triggered another update which is now installing 57 apps.

These new apps look like they're mostly American / English.

Apps are slowly appearing in the GUI now. Luckily it seems HBO Go is working... that and Netflix are my only concern. My bigger concern was a virus on my TV that could attack my LAN.

Comment

Ugh... seemingly endless cycle of updates :(.

It almost seems like a Russian virus is battling it out with the standard Samsung automated updater. Like they keep deleting eachothers apps and reinstalling their own. What a bummer.

I emailed Samsung tech support, but I fear they will not respond because my TV is rather old and is not listed on their drop-down-menu when selecting your product.

Comment

If you have an older 'smart tv' then you may not be affected by this one.

Just thought people should be aware of this despicable practice on Samsungs' part.

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2015/02/...u#.VOx0LE10zQk

Comment

Joe,

I have a Samsung Smart DVD player and it updates when it wants to... I can't control it that I know of. Unlike computers, I guess these things don't save a previous "state" to revert to like a system restore on a windows machine... what you're describing could seemingly disable the 'smart' aspect of the unit by always being in the process of updating. I use my DVD player so infrequently that every time I turn it on, it seems to update... and it's not like you can disconnect it from the internet, then it wouldn't work at all.

Thanks for reporting/posting this.

TomZ
          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

I posted in AVSForum in the thread dedicated to my model line of TVs but no responses yet.

I also have a Samsung bluray player that I use every night to watch Netflix on another tv. I turned that on this morning to see what it would do... I got a prompt to install updates.... in German. I declined the update but then it kicked me out of the "Smart Hub" screen. Something is definitely wrong. Considering no similar experiences reported on this thread or the AVS thread (or via google search), I'm very worried that its just my house that got attacked. That seems very odd since I don't do anything crazy.... I use only Netflix and HBO Go apps. I wonder if one of my computers got infected somehow and it pushed a virus to the Samsung devices on my LAN.

Still got my fingers crossed that Samsung tech support will get back to me. I might end up calling them if I can find a contact number. I've heard nothing but horror stories about Samsung support :(

Maybe i'll just quit watching TV and build something :p

Comment

Geesh, sorry to hear that.

Just imagine if all the bad guys out there stopped trying to muck up the world and actually started doing things that would help society instead of create chaos and mayhem.

TomZ
              *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
              *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Ouch,

Just think, if your smart tv also had a built in camera hackers might have been watching you.

Besides a virus coming via one of your pc's there's also the possibility that your router was hacked.

Maybe consider disconnecting the pc's from your lan, and doing a hardware/factory reset on the TV and blueray if they have one.

Comment

I never have owned a "smart" product so I never really considered they might get viruses :eek: Kind of scary considering that companies probably don't even care.
                  I also didn't know that some of these devices have to always be connected. That is stupid IMO. Xbox was going in this route but the people complained and xbox backpedaled.

Comment

Just youtube "defcon"...then you will know fear, and those guys are the good guys. You can hack a light bulb with network access. Wireless cameras are even scarier.

But on a funny hacking note, youtube "defcon weaponizing your pets" hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by lowpolyjoe View Post
                      I've got a Samsung PN63C8000 smart tv and this morning the smart apps update ran itself automatically.

It deleted all my existing apps and installed 45 new ones, including a TON of Russian named apps.

I'm not happy. This seems very shady.

Anyone else have this issue? I will do some searching online now to see what's going on.
                      http://www.darkreading.com/vulnerabi...d/d-id/1318348
                      "Our Nation’s interests are best served by fostering a peaceful global system comprised
                      of interdependent networks of trade, finance, information, law, people and governance."
                      - from the October 2007 U.S. Naval capstone doctrine
                      A Cooperative Strategy for 21st Century Seapower
                      (a lofty notion since removed in the March 2015 revision)

Comment

I haven't really heard of TV hacking (live in the field, not what can be done). Yet. Honestly, I can't really see the point aside from the challenge or just screwing with someone. At least with a PC, chances are it will have personal information on it, accounting, etc. With a TV. What are they going to get? Your netflix password?

I myself would put the latest firmware update on a USB, disconnect the network and try a update. Also, see if there is a factory reset option.

Comment

Originally posted by MGrant1957 View Post
                          If you have an older 'smart tv' then you may not be affected by this one.

Just thought people should be aware of this despicable practice on Samsungs' part.

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2015/02/...u#.VOx0LE10zQk
                          That is disturbing. I have a very early model Smart tv. To my knowledge there is no camera or mic - there is no Skype capability as there is with newer Smart models. So I think I'm safe from that particular issue. I did cave in and get an XBOX One with is 100% definitely spying on me tho.

I wanted to update everybody. I heard back from Samsung support with a very comprehensive response. I am VERY impressed. Less than 24 hours and I think they have resolved my issue. Their suggests:

1) Go into network settings, change DNS to "Manual" and set it to 8.8.8.8. Unplug the TV, plug it back in. This seems to have solved my problem so I didn't do any stuff below. I did some digging and found that this is the explicit address of Google's DNS server, which will then override/prevent your device from using your ISP's DNS.
                          2) Same as above but try DNS 8.8.4.4 (Google's alternative DNS)
                          3) Reset the internet settings via [email protected]>Settings->SystemSetup->Reset (you may need the tv password, default is 0000). This will delete your downloaded apps.
                          4) Rest the TV to factory defaults from the main menu. This will clobber all your settings everywhere.

I have not tried these approaches on my Bluray player yet, but my TV seems to be working now.

I'm very relieved. I ran virus scans on my computers lastnight and everything looks good, so I'm hoping it was just some wonky with my ISP's DNS.

Comment

While you are at it, you might also want to test your router's WAN security too. This website makes it easy: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Just this past summer, I was having fits with my home network locking up every few hours. It turns out that my router was hijacked and was being used to launch attacks on other systems. I had to buy a new one because even after restoring it with new firmware, it still left a printer port open on the WAN side that was impossible to lock down. Mine was a Belkin but there are several more out there that have the same weakness.

Comment

Originally posted by generic View Post
                              I haven't really heard of TV hacking (live in the field, not what can be done). Yet. Honestly, I can't really see the point aside from the challenge or just screwing with someone. At least with a PC, chances are it will have personal information on it, accounting, etc. With a TV. What are they going to get? Your netflix password?
                              Not an IT security expert, but maybe they could gain a host for further attacks on other computers/devices in your home network. Scary.

Comment

Working...
                              X