Downward Firing Subwoofer Frequency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downward Firing Subwoofer Frequency

I have searched far and wide but cannot find the answer to this question. How high can a downward firing subwoofer rightfully play?

My assumption is not much past 150hz if that. I have been looking at some of the popular FAST designs and thought of the idea of a shallow woofer/subwoofer with a pair of small fullrange drivers in a slim compact tabletop/soundbar/blose wave radio.

If it can be crossed to say 300-500hz, this could work quite well, but I dont believe it can

Re: Downward Firing Subwoofer Frequency

I believe you're correct.

Comment

If you used a woofer could you reach a higher crossover point? Anyone?
      "If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it? - Dogen

"Why are you wearing that stupid human suit" - Frank

"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back" - Roland

Comment

You could probably run to at least 300Hz, but the question is why would you? That would make it easily directionally locatable.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

I think for closely spaced mains, like in a small desktop/soundbar, imaging and soundfield concerns are reduced. So as long as the sub driver is happy at the desired cutoff it should not drastically impact overall sq up to about 300hz or so. Much above 300 and you are getting into midrange territory and that could degrade the experience to a noticeable level. I would make a test enclosure for anything above 300hz and anything above 150 if the mains are spaced farther apart than 12-18" or so.

Originally posted by ameuba10 View Post
          I have searched far and wide but cannot find the answer to this question. How high can a downward firing subwoofer rightfully play?

My assumption is not much past 150hz if that. I have been looking at some of the popular FAST designs and thought of the idea of a shallow woofer/subwoofer with a pair of small fullrange drivers in a slim compact tabletop/soundbar/blose wave radio.

If it can be crossed to say 300-500hz, this could work quite well, but I dont believe it can
          ~99%
          Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
          Make me a poster of an old rodeo
          Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
          To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

Working...
          X