No announcement yet.

OT. Wild game hunting is BIG business!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT. Wild game hunting is BIG business!

Snowed in again so channel surfing at its finest. Came across outdoorTV and hunting shows. Can't believe the merchandising, marketing, and unsportsmanlike products out there for hunting. Remote cameras and motion sensors!......really guys? So much for a man at one with the wilderness.

Re: OT. Wild game hunting is BIG business!

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
    Snowed in again so channel surfing at its finest. Came across outdoorTV and hunting shows. Can't believe the merchandising, marketing, and unsportsmanlike products out there for hunting. Remote cameras and motion sensors!......really guys? So much for a man at one with the wilderness.
    Mmm... nothing better than 'smores from portable battery-powered microwaves and cold beer from portable fridges. Hunting isn't about the free meat. It's about GETTING AWAY FROM THE MISSES!! How else do we re-acquire our manhood??
    "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
    ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Originally posted by Tin_Ears View Post
      Mmm... nothing better than 'smores from portable battery-powered microwaves and cold beer from portable fridges. Hunting isn't about the free meat. It's about GETTING AWAY FROM THE MISSES!! How else do we re-acquire our manhood??
      Nothing wrong with hunting. Tracking game with cameras and motion sensors?.......can't see the sport in that. Sorry. If I hunted, I'd take my wife with me to boot. Nothing out there I can't get in the supermarket so I've been catch and release fishing for 20 years now. Personal choice I guess.

Comment

There was a time when hunting was a rite of passage into manhood - fathers to sons. Today kids don't see it that way, it's just not relevant in their world. Knowing that hunting is a dying sport our State Legislature has taken upon themselves to do something about it....move the licensing age from 12 to 10. Yup, High Powered Rifles in the hands of 10 year old kids. I can't imagine putting a rifle in the hands of someone too small to handle a 29" baseball bat. FWIW, the Legislatures move accomplished nothing.

Camera's to find fish under the ice, 1550 hp engines to get your $60k bass boat around the lake, rifles in pink to attract girls. It stopped being a sport and family event about the same time it became a profit center.

Comment

Are speakers and amplifiers a for profit endeavor for the vendors? Why not firearms and boats?

If it's about killing animals or killing them in an "unsportsmanlike-like" way......what did you have for dinner last night? Did someone profit from it?

I may actually agree to a point but sometimes it's difficult to be logically consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Tin_Ears View Post
            It's about GETTING AWAY FROM THE MISSES!! How else do we re-acquire our manhood??
            By getting with the misses :D

Comment

There is a guy at my work that sets up all kinds of stuff to figure out where the game is. Thing is, he just ends up scaring the animals lol.

Comment

I grew up in hunting country - deer, pheasant, waterfowl, etc. I was raised not to take the shot unless it is a killing shot. You eat what you kill, and you respect the life of the animal.

The words "sport hunting" leaves a bad taste in my mouth - if we shot dogs for the same reasons we shoot deer, we would be arrested. Waste of a life when killing for pleasure.
                Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                  I grew up in hunting country - deer, pheasant, waterfowl, etc. I was raised not to take the shot unless it is a killing shot. You eat what you kill, and you respect the life of the animal.

The words "sport hunting" leaves a bad taste in my mouth - if we shot dogs for the same reasons we shoot deer, we would be arrested. Waste of a life when killing for pleasure.
                  +10000000000000

I recently found a nice buck on my property... dead from a gut-shot. It was a complete waste of a life and no telling how long it suffered before it finally died. Pi$$ed me off to no end.
                  ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

I have no issue with hunting, if it actually is hunting. When I see hunting on a "game farm" or preserve it turns my stomach. How can someone enjoy a "canned hunt". Take the
                    rich guy out, let the animal out of the pen and he has his trophy. Takes a lot of skill to get your kill. I don't hunt, but I eat venison that my friends using bow or shotgun in N.J.
                    are allowed to hunt.

Comment

I'm okay with hunting too... provided the hunter has trained himself/herself and won't take the shot unless he's sure he can make a quick kill. Hunting is far better than what our slaughterhouses do... if the hunter is any good and has a heart.
                      ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

In high school I killed a bird with a 22 rifle while out "hunting" with a friend on his grandfather's farm. When I saw the bird dead on the ground I was saddened and ashamed. I'm a meat eater but that's the first and last time I killed a living creature for "sport".
                        Paul

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post

Comment

i was taught to hunt by my father , grandfather and uncles from my earliest memories ... they are lessons i cherish . always ate what was killed and never killed anything just cause ... for my 12th birthday i received a 12ga. shotgun as i've been taught to handle high powered weapons since the age of 8 . i've killed several deer , rabbit and game birds . that said , i no longer hunt . sitting in my blind i saw the most beautiful 14 point buck one could imagine . first at about 80 yards , by the time i said boo and scared it away he was less than 20 . i just couldn't pull the trigger and haven't killed anything since ...
                          Paper Towers
                          RS180P/28F surrounds
                          Boombox

Comment

You guys must have some crazy bass boats up there...lol. The largest engine I have seen down here is 300hp, and tournament boats are limited to 250.

But I get the exaggeration...lol.

Originally posted by martyh View Post
                            Camera's to find fish under the ice, 1550 hp engines to get your $60k bass boat around the lake, rifles in pink to attract girls. It stopped being a sport and family event about the same time it became a profit center.

Comment

Good for you. There's not much that upsets and angers me more than to see a photo of a smiling teenager holding a gun and kneeling on the ground next to a beautiful deer he/she just killed.
                              Paul

Originally posted by filmslayer View Post
                              i was taught to hunt by my father , grandfather and uncles from my earliest memories ... they are lessons i cherish . always ate what was killed and never killed anything just cause ... for my 12th birthday i received a 12ga. shotgun as i've been taught to handle high powered weapons since the age of 8 . i've killed several deer , rabbit and game birds . that said , i no longer hunt . sitting in my blind i saw the most beautiful 14 point buck one could imagine . first at about 80 yards , by the time i said boo and scared it away he was less than 20 . i just couldn't pull the trigger and haven't killed anything since ...

Comment

Working...
                              X