No announcement yet.

OT. Wild game hunting is BIG business!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT. Wild game hunting is BIG business!

Originally posted by filmslayer View Post
    i was taught to hunt by my father , grandfather and uncles from my earliest memories ... they are lessons i cherish . always ate what was killed and never killed anything just cause ... for my 12th birthday i received a 12ga. shotgun as i've been taught to handle high powered weapons since the age of 8 . i've killed several deer , rabbit and game birds . that said , i no longer hunt . sitting in my blind i saw the most beautiful 14 point buck one could imagine . first at about 80 yards , by the time i said boo and scared it away he was less than 20 . i just couldn't pull the trigger and haven't killed anything since ...
    filmslayer, that's a great story. I was about twelve down in Texas on my first real MANS with my Dad, my Uncle, cousin, etc. Out comes this HUGE Muley, and I mean Texas size. My first shot took off his right antler right at the base, certainly not what I had intended. We musta' chased him for a good couple of miles, in Hill Country mind you. I had the job of finishing him off and have never hunted again. I do still like to fish though, and just plain old birdwatching is pretty cool around here. All the best, Mike

Comment

Almost as good as shooting fish in a barrel. I can feel my testosterone rising already.

Comment

I took a Black Hills buck one year. I was hiding behind a berm, upwind from a watering hole I knew the deer frequented. I large buck came down, facing directly at me. About 6 x 5 is what I counted, nice spread. I drew a bead in the middle of his chest, had his heart in my cross-hairs - and when I committed to the trigger squeeze he dropped his head to drink and I blew the top of his head off. Quickest, cleanest kill I ever managed - yet all my friends could talk about was what a waste of a mountable rack :rolleyes:

That depressed me almost as much as friend who unloaded five shells from his semi-auto shotgun to kill one pheasant. Inedible, but I suppose it made him feel good about himself.

Another friend of mine uses an AK-47 to go deer hunting. Another guy I know runs them down with his four wheeler before shooting them. I was given a deer by a friend who wasn't interested in the meat - I counted seven bullet holes in the dam thing, and managed to get about 25lbs of usable meat off of it.

These guys are still my friends, and they know what I think of their methods and why I no longer hunt with them. We are friends for other reasons.

Some of the things I have seen out fishing are depressing, too. It is illegal in most of this state to use electricity, explosives, nets, jug lines and trot lines. One afternoon, my friend and I were lazily catfishing on a local river and witnessed two men in a boat dropping jug lines about every 5 feet on every cut bank and snag. We were in a boat and slowly followed them, pulling every one of those juglines. When they saw us doing it, they brandished a firearm at us, so we stopped of course. We contacted GF&P, and found out they had them under aerial surveillance that day so they got busted - how many don't? We don't have the fish growing seasons here to support that kind of fishing. Those men did not care, and probably felt like their rights were trampled.

Poaching also leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Keep in mind, the whole show is a production. The products they show are likely in a advertises way. Kind of like car shows. Throw on these parts, get this much HP...

Your results might very....

Comment

Get a new job, Marty?
            Nice biking route around Sand L. and ****** Dam L. (or whatever those critters are called that cut down trees and dam up rivers so their lodges can be submerged). Sheesh !

Looks like it's 20mi closer to Grinnell, BUT . . . got to drive through the Cities - ouch!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
              Good for you. There's not much that upsets and angers me more than to see a photo of a smiling teenager holding a gun and kneeling on the ground next to a beautiful deer he/she just killed.
              Paul
              but when you eat that steak, pork chop, fried chicken, etc, doesn't it bring a smile to your face. if you are not a vegetarian, I think this statements show a little hypocrisy. after a good, clean, fair hunt you have a right to smile. if you are not a hunter you are never going to understand. I hunted for specific animals in Africa for weeks before finally taking them. yes, I smiled. it was more work and effort than almost anything I have ever done, and the hunts were accomplishments that most people will never understand.
              craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Craig, I was completely honest about eating meat (that is raised to be part of our food supply, of course). There is no hypocrisy in that. What I detest is hunting animals for only "sport", which is even worse when the victims are pursued and tormented in terrible ways like Johnny described.
                Paul

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                but when you eat that steak, pork chop, fried chicken, etc, doesn't it bring a smile to your face. if you are not a vegetarian, I think this statements show a little hypocrisy. after a good, clean, fair hunt you have a right to smile. if you are not a hunter you are never going to understand. I hunted for specific animals in Africa for weeks before finally taking them. yes, I smiled. it was more work and effort than almost anything I have ever done, and the hunts were accomplishments that most people will never understand.

Comment

Craig, I was completely honest about eating meat (that is raised to be part of our food supply, of course). There is no hypocrisy in that. What I detest is hunting animals for only "sport", which is even worse when the victims are pursued and tormented in terrible ways like Johnny described.
                  Paul
                  i do not like trophy hunting either. but how do we determine what is "part" of the food supply ? because I go into the woods in my back yard and shop, and you go the Krogers makes the act of killing and eating an animals no different. except I have direct control over my supply. some one still had to kill what ever you are eating is the point. it was a living, breathing animal, and I am sure would have preferred to have lived in the wild if given the chance.
                  craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Live a ways out of town, we get a lot of deer in our yard. I dread hunting season since seeing a three legged deer run past the kitchen window. She was getting along pretty good with one shot up leg swinging in the wind. Then had a real nice buck come through, he was shot but still going huffing and puffing. I quit hunting after that season, I believe it was 1992.

I have nothing against hunting, just some of the dumb ***** that think they're hunters.

Comment

Do you live in an area where the deer population is out of control?

The deer population in this area needs severe culling.

Good for you. There's not much that upsets and angers me more than to see a photo of a smiling teenager holding a gun and kneeling on the ground next to a beautiful deer he/she just killed.
                      Paul

Comment

If the deer population isn't managed they will die from starvation and disease. But at least no one is smiling about it, huh? What is it about these pictures that is so disturbing? I will admit, I am not a hunter, but I know a lot of them.

If you think this is bad, you should see the taxes and fees some of the African countries charge to hunters. It is big business to their countries.
                        -Dan
                        Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Originally posted by djkest View Post
                          If the deer population isn't managed they will die from starvation and disease. But at least no one is smiling about it, huh? What is it about these pictures that is so disturbing? I will admit, I am not a hunter, but I know a lot of them.

If you think this is bad, you should see the taxes and fees some of the African countries charge to hunters. It is big business to their countries.
                          I think that depends on geographic location. In central Indiana if the deer population is not managed, they will end up causing way too many road wrecks. They have LOTS of water sources. I'm sure a tipping point for food exist, but we can't reach that level. My friend has property that has so many deer on it, he can't have a garden. They aren't dying of starvation or disease, they are just all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by djkest View Post

Disease maybe, in fact blue tongue has hit SoDak herds pretty hard. Starvation is not nearly as likely - almost everything that grows out of the dirt is edible to the white tail, one reason they are so plentiful. The other reason is because throughout most of their range, their only predators are humans and their vehicles.

It isn't a noble thing to cull the herds through hunting, it isn't a good thing, it isn't the right thing - it is simply our responsibility because the expanding herd is 100% our fault. No sense in complaining about it - we are the ones who have reduced or outright extirpated the wolves and the mountain lions from almost every area that harbors white tail deer. We now have to shoot deer, many of which end up not being food - not even food for the critters that benefit greatly from a deer carcass or two.
                            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

All your chatter is making me want to get venison...
                              Unfortunately, it is not as common around here...
                              My Statement monitors
                              My Piccolatas
                              My LM3886 amp

Comment

It's time for this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eHr-9_6hCg

Comment

Working...
                                X