No announcement yet.

OT. Wild game hunting is BIG business!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT. Wild game hunting is BIG business!

If the resources are not abused, I do not see a problem with fishing or hunting . Shoot (no pun intended) I had to get rid of the kitchen table to make room for a deep freeze to keep our deer meat in a couple years ago. We still do not have a kitchen table but that mule buck fed us for almost a year,burger,loin,chops, deer sticks etc. Am I ashamed ? Not one bit. What is taken ( if legal ) ends up on the table and eh the kid actually eats it so win win.
    I also practice catch and release :applause: To the others who abuse the resources IE poaching etc , well ,I guess you are on your own AND it will catch up with you eventually.

Comment

Why is it upsetting? Hunting with my dad and granddads are some of my fondest memories. My two closest friends started their daughters hunting early and they still enjoy it as older teens. As for using cameras and motion sensors, I don't see the problem. When you have a large piece of land, knowing what, how many, and what condition the game is on your land is invaluable for making decisions on what you should kill. You have to manage the game. Making decisions like if there are not many bucks then you do things like up the minimum size you should take until you see the population get to a more sustainable level. You guys are selling hunters way short(at least the ones I know). The many hunters that I know or have known hunt in a very responsible manner. While I know it does happen, I personally have never seen someone not get their deer processed for meat. BTW the motion sensors are just to make the camera take the picture when something comes along, you don't use them to alert you to game so you can go shoot it.

If you had ever been to a slaughter house you probably wouldn't be upset by something as mild as hunting a wild animal. At least that animal lived a good free life for a while, way better than the life of most beef cattle much less a milk cow. If hunting upsets any of you then you sure don't want to go to your average chicken farm. The fanned outrage or disgust here is hilarious. My dad worked at a few slaughter houses when I was a young kid, not very pleasant. My dad never hid the sad/bad parts of life from us(within reason), he wanted us to know about consequences and there was a price to be paid for most everything. Now if your a vegan then you would have a leg to stand on.
      Chris

Goofing around since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
        Get a new job, Marty?
        Nice biking route around Sand L. and ****** Dam L. (or whatever those critters are called that cut down trees and dam up rivers so their lodges can be submerged). Sheesh !

Looks like it's 20mi closer to Grinnell, BUT . . . got to drive through the Cities - ouch!
        Cheryle did, Chris. Director of Pharmacy for a small hospital - her dream job. I begin my search for something this week. There aren't many options so a little creativity will be required. We are in no hurry and I won't jump at the first opportunity, so a little speaker building is in order and maybe become reacquainted with the golf clubs! I'm a 'kept' man!

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
          It isn't a noble thing to cull the herds through hunting, it isn't a good thing, it isn't the right thing - it is simply our responsibility because the expanding herd is 100% our fault. No sense in complaining about it - we are the ones who have reduced or outright extirpated the wolves and the mountain lions from almost every area that harbors white tail deer. We now have to shoot deer, many of which end up not being food - not even food for the critters that benefit greatly from a deer carcass or two.
          I agree that more natural predators would help balance our ecosystem, which would be an overall benefit, but lets not pretend it wouldn't have negative consequences also. I don't know if having grizzly bears, wolves, and mountain lions roaming just about the entire US would be all that fun for us humans, with that many around we would be their prey. We are way easier to catch than a deer or even a rabbit. Also, humans clearing land is probably more of a contributing factor to increased deer population than a lack of predators. The vast forest that once covered much of the eastern half of this country was very far from the optimum habitat for white tailed deer. Deer thrive on the perimeter of forest not in them.

I see people throw around the idea that many or most deer shot are wasted, I would like to see some data to back that up as it has not been my experience. Mind you I am not saying it isn't true, I just need to see some sort of proof beyond people just thinking it must be true.
          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by czag View Post
            I agree that more natural predators would help balance our ecosystem, which would be an overall benefit, but lets not pretend it wouldn't have negative consequences also. I don't know if having grizzly bears, wolves, and mountain lions roaming just about the entire US would be all that fun for us humans, with that many around we would be their prey. We are way easier to catch than a deer or even a rabbit. Also, humans clearing land is probably be more of a contributing factor to increased deer population than a lack of predators. The vast forest that once covered much of the eastern half of this country was very far from the optimum habitat for white tailed deer. Deer thrive on the perimeter of forest not in them.

I see people throw around the idea that many or most deer shot are wasted, I would like to see some data to back that up as it has not been my experience. Mind you I am not saying it isn't true, I just need to see some sort of proof beyond people just thinking it must be true.
            I made no claims about many or most deer being wasted - I pointed out specific examples of that behavior. It is naive to think it doesn't happen - and even more so to believe it doesn't happen with people you know. I see no real sweeping claims or condemnations by anyone else, either. In fact, what I see is a lot of agreement that the life meant something, and responsibility falls on our shoulders for that life. I just happen to think people that shoot animals for horns and sport are tools, that's all. That serves no purpose. It's stupid, and a waste of a life, and excruciatingly inefficient for population control purposes. It is like logging companies saying logging makes healthy forests - then they take the best and leave the scrunts behind. Predators targeting herd animals first attempt to take the weak and the young. Sport hunters do not obey that first law of predation.

Grizzlies and bears in general, are not a concern as a predator. Human beings are rarely on any predators menu - we probably die more often as a consequence of deer-car accidents than we do getting eaten by predators. Man eaters are extremely rare - that is an illogical argument against reintroduction of predators. Protecting sheep, maybe - but humans are simply not in danger from predation. Don't believe the stories you see on television - man eaters are rare even in areas where the predators are large enough and skillful enough to take down prey like humans (you do not give yourself enough credit for survival skills), and are almost unheard of in the New World. It is so rare, in fact, that much like strangers abducting children - it makes headlines. It was always rare, even when wolves and mountain lions ranged all over the country. For the most part, humans have to fear other humans.

Deer benefit from clearing land, obviously - that is implied within my statement explaining that almost everything that grows is edible to deer.

I did my tour in a slaughterhouse - from the moment the pigs were offloaded until they met the hammer at the top of what we called the "stairway to heaven", they were treated fine. Better than the workers, anyways. Knock 'em on the head, hang 'em up by their hind legs, cut their throats, slit their bellies, remove innards, scald, scrape, peel, freeze, bacon. It is a beautiful process.
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
              We now have to shoot deer, many of which end up not being food - not even food for the critters that benefit greatly from a deer carcass or two.
              Chris

Comment

Originally posted by czag View Post
                I agree that more natural predators would help balance our ecosystem, which would be an overall benefit, but lets not pretend it wouldn't have negative consequences also. I don't know if having grizzly bears, wolves, and mountain lions roaming just about the entire US would be all that fun for us humans, with that many around we would be their prey. We are way easier to catch than a deer or even a rabbit. Also, humans clearing land is probably more of a contributing factor to increased deer population than a lack of predators. The vast forest that once covered much of the eastern half of this country was very far from the optimum habitat for white tailed deer. Deer thrive on the perimeter of forest not in them.

AFAIK, this isn't the 'norm' for hunters but around here (the neighbors I've spoken to) waste most of what they kill. I've heard them claim, "I shot a deer behind the ear with a .22LR and it went down instantly. We ate the back straps and fed the rest to the dogs". And, "I shot a deer and took the head and left the rest for the vultures". I've seen many deer gut-shot and left to die a horrible/painful death. Perhaps it's just the turds that live near me who have no conscience and no heart.

FWIW, I do know there are hunters who have conscience and heart. And I do completely support hunting if done with skill and care.
                "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
                ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Iam sure the caveman scoffed at the Indians when they invented the bow and arrow to! come on people there just tools no different than the computer program you use to do all the hard work of designing speakers! have you ever seen a coyote eat a deer while they are still alive? there relentless and murderess. Humans pail in comparison. Some of you are watching to many Disney movies. Try controlling your emotions and use some logic and learn something about a topic before you comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear64 View Post
                    Iam sure the caveman scoffed at the Indians when they invented the bow and arrow to! come on people there just tools no different than the computer program you use to do all the hard work of designing speakers! have you ever seen a coyote eat a deer while they are still alive? there relentless and murderess. Humans pail in comparison. Some of you are watching to many Disney movies. Try controlling your emotions and use some logic and learn something about a topic before you comment.
                    Humans are supposed to be better than coyotes. Responsible hunting is good. Irresponsible hunting is bad. What's so difficult to understand about that?
                    ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Originally posted by Bear64 View Post
                      well said. there is no Thumper or Flower. Bambi does not talk. this anthropomorphic society we live in is not reality. I have traveled to numerous counties, and we, the USA, are one of the few countries that try and turn animals into humans. I am not into animal abuse or cruelly, but these are animals. they do not have arms they have legs, they are not Mommies and Daddies babies, they are animals.
                      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Regarding hunting/slaughter houses, the reason I personally don't hunt is I would be extremely upset if it was not a clean kill. The
                        thought of an animal having to suffer a painful death because I only wounded it is something I'm not willing to live with. When it
                        comes to slaughter houses or farms, if the animals are treated humanely I don't have issue with it. It is the stories of animal
                        cruelty when being raised on or in "factory farms" and mistreatment on the way to and at the slaughter house that disgust me. I
                        love the taste of veal but have not eaten in in 15yrs. after seeing a documentary on it. There is no reason other than greed that
                        animals cannot be raised and slaughtered humanely.

Comment

I started shooting firearms at an early age (about 4 or 5 I think), but it was always targets, never anything alive. My father used to develop loads for Dupont. When they came out with a new powder, they would send him a gallon plastic jug of it with a note saying 'This new powder has a burning rate between IMR4227 and Hogden H110. We think it will work well in Medium caliber rifles, or Magnum Pistols.' So, my father would decide on what cartridge to try it in, and we would load a batch using the same brass, same head stamp, same primer, all full length resized, trimmed to length, and chamfered. The ONLY thing that was different was the powder charge. We would load 5 rounds with 22 grains of powder, 5 rounds with 22.5 grains of powder, 5 rounds with 23 grains of powder, and 5 rounds with 23.5 grains of powder. When we went to the range, they were fired in that order, lowest to highest, and all were run over the chronograph, and we were constantly looking for signs of higher pressure.

In those days (early '60s to '70s) factory ammo was not very consistant, so all of the local Police/hunters/target competition guys came to my father for their ammo as it was KNOWN to be the most accurate in the area. A hunter friend of my dads would show up and say " I'm going to Montana next week for some Mule Deer, and need some ammo for my .338". Dad would make up a box of ammo and the Hunter would return 2 weeks later and through 20 lbs. of meat in our freezer. It wall all about accuracy, the 'One shot, One Quick Kill'

I have never been hunting myself and have never felt the need to do so, but I have no problem with those that do it to put food on the table. I hope there is 'A Special Hell' for those idiots that hunt and do not eat what they kill. A Special Hell reserved for bad hunters. child molesters, and people that talk on their phones at the movie theatre.

I don't have a problem with kids learning the PROPER way to handle a firearm,
                          Rule #1: ALWAYS point your firearm in a safe direction
                          Rule #2: any firearm is ALWAYS LOADED until you open and check the chamber
                          Rule #3: See Rule #1

my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
                            Regarding hunting/slaughter houses, the reason I personally don't hunt is I would be extremely upset if it was not a clean kill. The
                            thought of an animal having to suffer a painful death because I only wounded it is something I'm not willing to live with. When it
                            comes to slaughter houses or farms, if the animals are treated humanely I don't have issue with it. It is the stories of animal
                            cruelty when being raised on or in "factory farms" and mistreatment on the way to and at the slaughter house that disgust me. I
                            love the taste of veal but have not eaten in in 15yrs. after seeing a documentary on it. There is no reason other than greed that
                            animals cannot be raised and slaughtered humanely.
                            My thoughts precisely but I'll add that we have little control over what meat we buy other than to buy kosher. I'm not Jewish, BTW. Also, over the last few years I've cut my meat consumption by 70-80 percent. I'm considering becoming vegan.
                            ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Humans are supposed to be better than coyotes. Responsible hunting is good. Irresponsible hunting is bad. What's so difficult to understand about that?
                              This thread started as a complaint about using modern tools for increasing your odds of success as not being "sporting" and it decended to hunters are unethical idiots murdering meat. As a life long hunter I take offense to that. cherry pick your story about bad hunters if you want but its not the norm.

Ive crossed paths with non-hunters all over this country and the its the same conversation. People who dont hunt not knowing anything about hunting, making irrational hate speech based on there own ignorance.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVgbX_YeK-s

Comment

Working...
                                X