Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• martyh
    replied
    Re: OT. Wild game hunting is BIG business!

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
    Get a new job, Marty?
    Nice biking route around Sand L. and ****** Dam L. (or whatever those critters are called that cut down trees and dam up rivers so their lodges can be submerged). Sheesh !

Looks like it's 20mi closer to Grinnell, BUT . . . got to drive through the Cities - ouch!
    Cheryle did, Chris. Director of Pharmacy for a small hospital - her dream job. I begin my search for something this week. There aren't many options so a little creativity will be required. We are in no hurry and I won't jump at the first opportunity, so a little speaker building is in order and maybe become reacquainted with the golf clubs! I'm a 'kept' man!

Leave a comment:

• czag
    replied

Why is it upsetting? Hunting with my dad and granddads are some of my fondest memories. My two closest friends started their daughters hunting early and they still enjoy it as older teens. As for using cameras and motion sensors, I don't see the problem. When you have a large piece of land, knowing what, how many, and what condition the game is on your land is invaluable for making decisions on what you should kill. You have to manage the game. Making decisions like if there are not many bucks then you do things like up the minimum size you should take until you see the population get to a more sustainable level. You guys are selling hunters way short(at least the ones I know). The many hunters that I know or have known hunt in a very responsible manner. While I know it does happen, I personally have never seen someone not get their deer processed for meat. BTW the motion sensors are just to make the camera take the picture when something comes along, you don't use them to alert you to game so you can go shoot it.

If you had ever been to a slaughter house you probably wouldn't be upset by something as mild as hunting a wild animal. At least that animal lived a good free life for a while, way better than the life of most beef cattle much less a milk cow. If hunting upsets any of you then you sure don't want to go to your average chicken farm. The fanned outrage or disgust here is hilarious. My dad worked at a few slaughter houses when I was a young kid, not very pleasant. My dad never hid the sad/bad parts of life from us(within reason), he wanted us to know about consequences and there was a price to be paid for most everything. Now if your a vegan then you would have a leg to stand on.

Leave a comment:

• nicholas_23
    replied

If the resources are not abused, I do not see a problem with fishing or hunting . Shoot (no pun intended) I had to get rid of the kitchen table to make room for a deep freeze to keep our deer meat in a couple years ago. We still do not have a kitchen table but that mule buck fed us for almost a year,burger,loin,chops, deer sticks etc. Am I ashamed ? Not one bit. What is taken ( if legal ) ends up on the table and eh the kid actually eats it so win win.
    I also practice catch and release :applause: To the others who abuse the resources IE poaching etc , well ,I guess you are on your own AND it will catch up with you eventually.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied

It's time for this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eHr-9_6hCg

Leave a comment:

• Silver1omo
    replied

All your chatter is making me want to get venison...
    Unfortunately, it is not as common around here...

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Originally posted by djkest View Post
    If the deer population isn't managed they will die from starvation and disease. But at least no one is smiling about it, huh? What is it about these pictures that is so disturbing? I will admit, I am not a hunter, but I know a lot of them.

If you think this is bad, you should see the taxes and fees some of the African countries charge to hunters. It is big business to their countries.
    Disease maybe, in fact blue tongue has hit SoDak herds pretty hard. Starvation is not nearly as likely - almost everything that grows out of the dirt is edible to the white tail, one reason they are so plentiful. The other reason is because throughout most of their range, their only predators are humans and their vehicles.

It isn't a noble thing to cull the herds through hunting, it isn't a good thing, it isn't the right thing - it is simply our responsibility because the expanding herd is 100% our fault. No sense in complaining about it - we are the ones who have reduced or outright extirpated the wolves and the mountain lions from almost every area that harbors white tail deer. We now have to shoot deer, many of which end up not being food - not even food for the critters that benefit greatly from a deer carcass or two.

Leave a comment:

• generic
    replied

Originally posted by djkest View Post
    If the deer population isn't managed they will die from starvation and disease. But at least no one is smiling about it, huh? What is it about these pictures that is so disturbing? I will admit, I am not a hunter, but I know a lot of them.

If you think this is bad, you should see the taxes and fees some of the African countries charge to hunters. It is big business to their countries.
    I think that depends on geographic location. In central Indiana if the deer population is not managed, they will end up causing way too many road wrecks. They have LOTS of water sources. I'm sure a tipping point for food exist, but we can't reach that level. My friend has property that has so many deer on it, he can't have a garden. They aren't dying of starvation or disease, they are just all over the place.

Leave a comment:

• djkest
    replied

Leave a comment:

• winslow
    replied

Do you live in an area where the deer population is out of control?

The deer population in this area needs severe culling.

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
    Good for you. There's not much that upsets and angers me more than to see a photo of a smiling teenager holding a gun and kneeling on the ground next to a beautiful deer he/she just killed.
    Paul

Leave a comment:

• Dewmiester
    replied

Live a ways out of town, we get a lot of deer in our yard. I dread hunting season since seeing a three legged deer run past the kitchen window. She was getting along pretty good with one shot up leg swinging in the wind. Then had a real nice buck come through, he was shot but still going huffing and puffing. I quit hunting after that season, I believe it was 1992.

I have nothing against hunting, just some of the dumb ***** that think they're hunters.

Leave a comment:

• craigk
    replied

Craig, I was completely honest about eating meat (that is raised to be part of our food supply, of course). There is no hypocrisy in that. What I detest is hunting animals for only "sport", which is even worse when the victims are pursued and tormented in terrible ways like Johnny described.
    Paul
    i do not like trophy hunting either. but how do we determine what is "part" of the food supply ? because I go into the woods in my back yard and shop, and you go the Krogers makes the act of killing and eating an animals no different. except I have direct control over my supply. some one still had to kill what ever you are eating is the point. it was a living, breathing animal, and I am sure would have preferred to have lived in the wild if given the chance.

Leave a comment:

• Paul K.
    replied

Craig, I was completely honest about eating meat (that is raised to be part of our food supply, of course). There is no hypocrisy in that. What I detest is hunting animals for only "sport", which is even worse when the victims are pursued and tormented in terrible ways like Johnny described.
    Paul

Originally posted by craigk View Post
    but when you eat that steak, pork chop, fried chicken, etc, doesn't it bring a smile to your face. if you are not a vegetarian, I think this statements show a little hypocrisy. after a good, clean, fair hunt you have a right to smile. if you are not a hunter you are never going to understand. I hunted for specific animals in Africa for weeks before finally taking them. yes, I smiled. it was more work and effort than almost anything I have ever done, and the hunts were accomplishments that most people will never understand.

Leave a comment:

• craigk
    replied

Good for you. There's not much that upsets and angers me more than to see a photo of a smiling teenager holding a gun and kneeling on the ground next to a beautiful deer he/she just killed.
    Paul
    but when you eat that steak, pork chop, fried chicken, etc, doesn't it bring a smile to your face. if you are not a vegetarian, I think this statements show a little hypocrisy. after a good, clean, fair hunt you have a right to smile. if you are not a hunter you are never going to understand. I hunted for specific animals in Africa for weeks before finally taking them. yes, I smiled. it was more work and effort than almost anything I have ever done, and the hunts were accomplishments that most people will never understand.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Roemer
    replied

Get a new job, Marty?
    Nice biking route around Sand L. and ****** Dam L. (or whatever those critters are called that cut down trees and dam up rivers so their lodges can be submerged). Sheesh !

Looks like it's 20mi closer to Grinnell, BUT . . . got to drive through the Cities - ouch!

Leave a comment:

• generic
    replied

Keep in mind, the whole show is a production. The products they show are likely in a advertises way. Kind of like car shows. Throw on these parts, get this much HP...

Your results might very....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X