Random thoughts on a new design idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random thoughts on a new design idea

Feel free to let me know if I am off my rocker, but I had a strange idea for a speaker design challenge that sounded like fun to me.

The goal would be to come up with the best application of a stock Crossover by PE. Kind of backwards engineering by starting with the crossover, running through various simulations until I could come up with one that would work best.

Do you think there would be too much compromise to get a truly flat response from a stock crossover? Or are there actual drivers these are made for?

It seems strange to me there are pre-made crossovers with no clear designs or recommendations by PE to use them in.

Am I crazy in thinking this would work?

No self respecting speaker guy would actually use on of those, Right :D

Re: Random thoughts on a new design idea

I think there was a "contest" a while back where people on here were trying to find drivers to match with them. Dont think much came of it IIRC

Comment

"thanneytoes" (I THINK that was his name) actually built an RS 3-way using a stock Dayton XO (with some very minor mods) and the thing came out looking pretty good IIRC.

Comment

Sounds like fun!

Comment

I did a quick search, didn't come up with much.

I was also going to give it a quick try with some of the frd files I have, but I guess the first order of business will be finding out the coil values on the pre-built units. Can read the cap values. Maybe an email to PE to see if they can share this info.

Comment

Some of them DO have the component values on an additional spec sheet.

Comment

i think its a cool idea , got a couple of these before i learned better ...

http://www.parts-express.com/speaker...-200w--260-230

the biggest problem i see would be with the woofer .
              Paper Towers
              RS180P/28F surrounds
              Boombox

Comment

Originally posted by filmslayer View Post
                i think its a cool idea , got a couple of these before i learned better ...

http://www.parts-express.com/speaker...-200w--260-230

the biggest problem i see would be with the woofer .
                Mornin' filmslayer, I gotta ask, what was wrong with the woofer? I've looked at these exact X-Overs and they look to me a pretty good start for DIY 3-way. Please explian, thanks. All the best, Mike

Comment

750-800 is kinda high for a woofer in a 3way ...
                  Paper Towers
                  RS180P/28F surrounds
                  Boombox

Comment

so this has got me thinking ... i have the crossover , a woofer that can play up to 800 and a compression driver that needs a high cross . currently looking at 4" full rangers to handle the 800 - 5.5k , any suggestions for a inexpensive 4-5" full range ?

i figure i can build the box outta scrap at work , put it together and take some measurements . may be a good exercise in what not to do and why textbook XOs don't work ...
                    Paper Towers
                    RS180P/28F surrounds
                    Boombox

Comment

Working...
                    X