Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O.T. Is Tech Talk your main source of social media interaction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. Is Tech Talk your main source of social media interaction?

I just completed a lengthy 150+ page survey about everything under the sun for Simmons -- from food, clothes, cars, preferences, medical, pretty much everything in life; my wife signed us up for this for the promise of a few bucks -- hey, anything helps these days.

One of the things they asked about was what social media I use, Twitter, Facebook, etc. I almost put none, but then realized that Tech Talk probably fits into that category, although I don't necessarily think of it that way -- probably because it is so limited to one specific hobby... DIY Audio.

Neither my wife nor I are connected to Facebook, Twitter or really anything too socially oriented -- she's been mentioning that she may sign up for Facebook just to see what our little nephew is up to -- he's almost 1 1/2 years old and cute as heck. I've made the decision to not join Facebook or Twitter because: a. my life is pretty much unexciting (although that doesn't stop most people from what I hear), b. I already spend too much time online between work and this hobby... any more and I fear I'll turn into a Matrix-like puddle of one's and zero's, and c. I have a habit of putting my foot in my mouth unintentionally, I'm pretty sure I'd get fired from being a teacher eventually, you know how media things get blown out of control.

So it got me thinking, how many of us Tech Talkers use other forms of social media like the above listed ones as well as others... and how much?

Myself, I spend more time on Tech Talk by far than any other form of internet exchange. I also have pics stored on Photobucket, and a few YouTube videos -- but mostly connected to my hobby of speaker building, which is once again connected to Tech Talk. I'm beginning to think that if I gave up speaker building, I'd have a lot more free time! I'd miss it terribly though.

I've been looking more on my iPad late at night and early morning in bed before I even get up. I don't have a cell phone, but I probably am about 60% laptop and 40% tablet. I usually try to just read on the tablet as my fat fingers are not good for typing on a iPad Mini. I bet I spend 2 hours a day almost on online speaker related stuff, and probably double that on the weekends.

I AM Social apparently! Just in a very limited way, that's all I guess. Something inside me feels like maybe I should cut back a little but I never do; I hate to sit still. Sketching, designing, building, talking about and fiddling with speakers seems like a part time job at times, but I love it. Still, it takes so much of my time, I wonder if it's not too much sometimes.

So what are your internetically-based social connections? And how much time daily do you spend clicking your life away? Also, phone, tablet or computer?
    Do you think it's too much sometimes to the point where some redirection of time resources may be in order? Just curious really.

TomZ
    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Re: O.T. Is Tech Talk your main source of social media interaction?

Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Kik, Imgur, FetLife...

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
    return to the source
    leviathan system thread
    deadhorse thread
    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

I am right there with you Tom. I only have a facebook acct. because I use to do game battles and it was the best way for everyone to figure out when we could all play. I am 32 and I hate social media so it isn't a age thing. I see how it affects people. I have seen family members get mad at each other over misunderstandings. Most of us on the board have seen this happen when someone posts something that is worded poorly.

Comment

I am curious about how people that use social media socialized when they were kids. I use to run around everywhere in town on my bike till I found someone I knew that was doing something. It usually ended up in us causing some kind of trouble, but it was fun :D

Comment

Instagram, facebook and here.
          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Just Tech Talk and diyaudio here. Once in a while, I pick up the phone and call Beau, Jon, Lowell and Don. Nothing replaces the human voice in social interactions, and you can still utter 4 letter words and other preferred profanities without being censored with asterisks.
            Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
            ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
            LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
            Sonata Soundbar Project
            The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

TT is just about it for me. In my experience, people either post extremely mundane parts of their life, as if I need to see a picture of your dinner plate at the restaurant, or they post things so that people can see just how hip and interesting they are. I don't need constant validation from friends much less strangers to feel good about myself. Besides, I don't care where anyone went on vacation and sure as heck have better things to do than look at the pictures they took. I go to dinner with my wife and see couples sit down and they both get on their phone and stay on it for most of the evening, seems like they are missing out on the life right in front of them.

To each their own I guess. It just doesn't appeal to me.
              Chris

Goofing around since 2000.

Comment

Just here. Never really got interested in facebook, etc. at all.
                Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.

We are passionate about great sound at whatever level we can afford, so don't let the audio atheists reduce the experience to a set of numbers and squiggly lines. - jbruner

Comment

No Facebook, twitter, Instagram, or any other social media account for me. I don't even participate in too many other forums, but I will visit a few others periodically. Otherwise, my social media interaction is here on TT. I do a LOT of email though. Beyond this, most of my social interaction with people is face to face.
                  Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

I'm 17, so I guess I can give a perspective on it from growing up with it. I have both Facebook and Twitter. Haven't used twitter in over a year, but use Facebook regularly-mainly just for the chat feature with friends though, I rarely post.

Comment

TT isn't my main source of social interaction but it's one of several that are. No family here... friends too far away... neighbors too busy or don't care... not well enough to travel much at all. Life is what it is. That stated, I don't get into any social media except forums.
                      "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
                      ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Well, Tom, I'm also a teacher (at a university) and don't belong to any social media either. I spend too much free time looking at forums. I am not as active in TT as in some other forums I visit, but I do spend a lot of time reading here.

My goal is to learn from these forums, and even though I'm far from calling myself a speaker designer, at least I'm equipped to make sensible choices now.

The odd thing is that the university encourages faculty to participate in social media. However I get enough late-night emails from students that I don't need yet another conduit. It's hard enough to keep up with email traffic as it is now.
                        Bill Schneider
                        -+-+-+-+-
                        www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

TT and FB.

Channing, you're a monster!

Comment

I don't have a judgement per se on social media, but I've actively resisted so far because I don't think I have time and don't like sitting at the computer too long.
                            I seem to spend 2 or 3 hours a week on this site which I guess is along the same lines, but as Tom says it's really more specific and you don't feel pressured into hanging out the dirty laundry which I believe lots do on Facebook. I see this site as a font of knowledge that is appreciated and will lead to a more fulfilling life.
                            BTW, if anyone is interested I have started back on my cylindrical towers again after a 2 month hiatus so should post some pics in the next couple of weeks.

Regards John L.

Comment

If I don't have any social networks, does that make me anti-social network or just an old fart?

Comment

Working...
                              X