Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carmody's Carrera Build thread Trans-laminated (PIC HEAVY)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carmody's Carrera Build thread Trans-laminated (PIC HEAVY)

Go for the veneer+translam, it's a cool look (but I may have some bias).

I would recommend you get something on the lamination edges shortly, inside and outside the box, to seal it up. It's going to keep moving (or try to) a fair amount until you do. I had enough movement that I had to create a false-center disc for my baffle to rerouter the driver holes. Even then I still had to scrape the holes larger by the time I got to assembly (granted my build time was a bit more than a month...). Also, slow cure epoxy is a good gap filler if you get some cracks.

Comment

Sweeeeet!
      Ed Henderson

Comment

I think a trans-lam veneer would look great on these.
        Oh wait, scratch that.
        The veneer you have selected will make these look phenomenal!

Comment

You are having too much fun!
          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
          Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Awesome, I love the translam look but the contrast of the veneer will look fab also.
            I cannot wait to see the finished project!
            HURRY UP!!!

Comment

Another thread to point to when people ask why diy.

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                Very, very nice Mike.

I love the translam look and your project came out looking super nice -- love the angled facets as others have said. I'm glad you'll be leaving all but the sides exposed, it's a cool look. We tend to brace and generally design the insides of our speakers a lot as well as the outside, and then we cover it all up... this look leaves some of the structure exposed so to speak, it's like you can see the bones of the thing almost... what it's made of.

The more I see others do the translam thing, the more I want to try it myself.

Nice!

TomZ
                It really wasnt that bad labor wise just alot of waiting. All the glue ups took atleast an hour so you just sitting there waiting with little progress being made. I sent them through a planer and only sanded these with 120grit. I will say that this stuff cut and routed like a dream. It was awesome how little dust and how little time it took. I hAve to do twice as many passes in mdf and my garage is ruined with saw dust after mdf.

Also, when you facet the sides the angle changes the line thickness of the ply's. A 45 degree is what i used it made it look pretty similar but a few less layers. My idea was to us a 30 ish angle and have it extend way down toward the middle but the frequency of the plys looked way more sparce. So i scraped that idea.

Originally posted by knowledgebass View Post
                Go for the veneer+translam, it's a cool look (but I may have some bias).

I would recommend you get something on the lamination edges shortly, inside and outside the box, to seal it up. It's going to keep moving (or try to) a fair amount until you do. I had enough movement that I had to create a false-center disc for my baffle to rerouter the driver holes. Even then I still had to scrape the holes larger by the time I got to assembly (granted my build time was a bit more than a month...). Also, slow cure epoxy is a good gap filler if you get some cracks.
                Thanks for the tips. Hopefully it wont crack. I had to sand the holes larger myself and it sucked. I did shellac the interior of the cabs and ill do a light wash coat before spraying these. I think im going to try and use a clear coat on these. Ill get to the veneer soon i just need to do a test panel.
                My Build Thread's
                Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
                  Another thread to point to when people ask why diy.
                  Thanks for the kind words DJG and everyone else. Hopefully the finish turns out as planned. I want a clear/polished look. The next upcoming build i hope to paint and see how that goes.

Im done using contact cement it doesnt hold up over time from my past builds.
                  My Build Thread's
                  Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

These look great Mike, but technically are they translam construction or regular construction using laminated panels?
                    Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
                      Im done using contact cement it doesnt hold up over time from my past builds.
                      That's my experience also - my edges are all lifting on the TitanDX contact cemented veneer project.
                      Going to try the iron on method with Titebond II for my next build.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                      "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                      SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                      My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                        These look great Mike, but technically are they translam construction or regular construction using laminated panels?
                        Semantics :p i did preface the post with "poor mans translam". This way it saves alot of material vs real translam. I think it would have been a little easier doing actual translam just much more ply used.
                        My Build Thread's

Comment

Great build & set of pictures!! That faceting technique really looks cool, with the three lines converging to a point at each corner in the last 4 pictures. The 2nd last picture has a nice flare effect coming from the top right corner. To make it look even better, try moving the light source a little bit so that it flares across one of the front baffle corners.

Looking forward to listening to these,

Bill
                          SideTowers: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...corundum-build
                          Totally Flat: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...5-totally-flat
                          Plumber's Delight: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...notech-winners
                          Linehopper: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...Esoteric-build

Comment

I forgot to post the finished pic's of this build. I'll add them here and in the second post on the first page.

My sprayer

before the finish

My Build Thread's

Comment

Thanks for posting, very nice finish! Always nice to have speakers that look good but also sound good.
                              Paul

The "SB's" build page
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

Wow, those look stellar! Is that polyurethane you sprayed?
                                "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                                exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Working...
                                X