Classix II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classix II

I have been able to scrape up enough money to purchase a par of Classix II speakers from Melby at the end of this month. Was hoping to get the Armonico's but the money won't be there for quite some time. I figured it makes sense to get an easy kit to start and go from there and hope that next year I can buy the Armonico's.

Some questions. Aside from a soldering gun and flux what else will I need to purchase to assemble the kit? Getting a complete kit I am told.

1) Will I need straps of some kind to hold the wood in place for the glue to dry?

2) Will I need to get some kind of foam for the inside of the cabinet?

3) Want to get a nice veneer for each speaker. What kind of tools will I need to put this on each speaker?

4) Where can I find quality veneer at reasonable prices?

5) How do you fit the veneer around each driver? Cut it in a circle?

Thanks!

Re: Classix II

Are you getting the pre-cut flat pack?

I'd get clamps instead of straps. You should be able to get away with two, if you only need to glue one side at a time and you can wait.

I'd consider using vinyl wrap or paint on that design, but that's just me. If cash is tight, is veneer a top priority? IMO, sound is more important then looks. I'd go for great sound and plain MDF, but that is just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by generic View Post
      Are you getting the pre-cut flat pack?

I'd get clamps instead of straps. You should be able to get away with two, if you only need to glue one side at a time and you can wait.

I'd consider using vinyl wrap or paint on that design, but that's just me. If cash is tight, is veneer a top priority? IMO, sound is more important then looks. I'd go for great sound and plain MDF, but that is just my opinion.
      Not sure how much veneer would cost. It can wait. Don't like paint and prefer the look of real wood. Would rather have a plain MDF look than paint.

Yes, this will come complete with the Flat packs.

What kind of Clamps should I buy? Years ago I used to refinish furniture during high school. We used clamps and straps for holding together furniture that had joints glued into place. Something like that I take it? Where do I buy them these days?

Comment

I use this style. http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...amp-96210.html

I've tried these in the past, and they all broke. http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-r...der-62123.html

Comment

Actually, I made some speakers and finished the raw mdf with watco danish oil. They looked fine but the cut edges were a bit fuzzy, like velour. Wipe on poly on the raw mdf might surprise you.

Cheap ratchet strap tie downs can be used as strap clamps, protect the corners.
          Attached Files

Comment

Oil-based polyurethane does a fine job on bare MDF and seals it. You can veneer over it after a light scuffing with 220-320 grit sandpaper. You can get it in rattle cans at Wally-World or the big-box home stores.
            The big-box stores or Harbor Freight have the pieces for pipe clamps. Black pipe is pretty high these days, but it's darn strong. You'll break the clamp parts (no matter what brand) long before the pipe threads give. The heft of them can work for you in glue-ups too.
            The ClassixII's are a great first speaker build IMO. Great value, good sound quality, with a flat-pack, fall-together easy. I need to quit wasting time posting and put-up some photos!

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
              Actually, I made some speakers and finished the raw mdf with watco danish oil. They looked fine but the cut edges were a bit fuzzy, like velour. Wipe on poly on the raw mdf might surprise you.

Cheap ratchet strap tie downs can be used as strap clamps, protect the corners.
              Excellent info. Will look into this.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
                Oil-based polyurethane does a fine job on bare MDF and seals it. You can veneer over it after a light scuffing with 220-320 grit sandpaper. You can get it in rattle cans at Wally-World or the big-box home stores.
                The big-box stores or Harbor Freight have the pieces for pipe clamps. Black pipe is pretty high these days, but it's darn strong. You'll break the clamp parts (no matter what brand) long before the pipe threads give. The heft of them can work for you in glue-ups too.
                The ClassixII's are a great first speaker build IMO. Great value, good sound quality, with a flat-pack, fall-together easy. I need to quit wasting time posting and put-up some photos!
                Wonderful. Will look at this suggestion as well. I would guess if I use a dark enough stain, it will look less like MDF. And yes, at a later date I can use a real veneer when money permits.

Would like to look at photos of your Classix II's. Noted they use a Vifa Tweeter which will have a nice mellow sound that I like. Should be fine in my house since I am getting a Front Port baffle.

Comment

+1 on the screw type bar clamps. You can apply more pressure than the ratcheting clamps and last longer, too.

Comment

Yup, those 2nd ones are pooey (even after the redesign - the old ones had bright red-orange parts that have been made grey in version #2).

Comment

Originally posted by marvin View Post
                      +1 on the screw type bar clamps. You can apply more pressure than the ratcheting clamps and last longer, too.
                      Thanks. When I refinished furniture we used the ratcheting type. This is good to know.

Comment

Just a note on the HF cheapo clamps: Yes they break, yes you can bring them into a store and they will replace them no questions asked. Plus they are so cheap you can buy alot of them.

Answering the OP questions:
                        1.) Sometimes you can get by with setting some kind of weight on your box while it is drying. I have used a box of tiles when my clamps were tied up with other things.
                        2.) I'll include some damping in the kit.
                        The last 3 questions i'll leave to the veneer pro's. Another great/easy/relatively inexpensive option is duratex which goes right over MDF.
                        Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

Comment

I love my Classix II's. They were my first pair I ever built and I still love them the best because Paul Carmody designed them for the type of music I listen too.

But here are some helpful hints:

1. Clamps are a good investment. And unless you are going to do cabinets for a living then these work great: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...amp-96210.html. At the price you can own a whole pile of them for next to nothing. Also buy a bottle of the red label tight bond wood glue.
                          2. Veneering is easier then you might believe. Although it is helpful to have someone show you how to veneer the first time out I am sure you could do it by yourself.
                          3. I personally use the contact cement method of veneering. There are many methods but this way is the least expensive and I have gotten good results. http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneeri...-veneering.htm. You will need a j roller, some cheap brushes from wal-mart, a razor knife, and a box of 24 pencils (yes i said pencils).

I just put a thin layer of contact cement on the veneer and the cabinet after I have cut the veneer 1/4 larger then the side of the cabinet I am going to veneer. After the cement dries I put one more layer on the cabinet and veneer and wait for it to dry. Then use the pencils to put on the cabinet and lay the veneer on top and center it. Once you have 1/8 overhang on each side then pull the center pencil out and press down. Make sure it is correct because you now have a permanent bond. Move out from the middle and smooth flat with your hand. Then use the J-Roller to press out air and make perfectly flat.

Once your done with the J-roller use your razor to trim the edges and sand down. You will need to wait 5-7 days before you finish them to allow the cement to cure.

2 great sources for veneer are the following:

1. http://www.veneersupplies.com/
                          2. https://www.certainlywood.com/

I have found that certainly wood is the higher end of the two. You can also get some great veneer off of eBay believe it or not.

Dont be shy to post questions!

Good luck,

Kevin
                          Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                          OS MTM's
                          Digger 8 sub
                          Overnight Sensations Center Channel
                          Sprite Build
                          Wolf's PC Speakers
                          Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

Thanks Kevin. Great info. Link does not work. Can you tell me which of the following clamps to purchase?

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...q=6+inch+clamp

Comment

NOT the Item #46806 clamps. They have flimsy plastic jaw parts. Any of the "small bar" clamps over 24" long can twist and flex on you if you need to put some "oomph" on them. I use cheap tie-down straps with shop-made wooden corners for web-clamps. 4- 1 1/2" x14' long straps for $8 from Huber Fraught on sale. Truwkie is my big laminating clamp. 2100-odd lbs, from one front tire does put the squeeze on things...

Comment

Working...
                              X