Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garage Org Q's

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Garage Org Q's

    Hi,

    I'm about to address the festering zit that is my messy garage and had a couple of items that I'd like to get some input on.

    1. Scrap wood management -- I'm shocked at how much scrap wood I have laying about. Lengths, half consumed sheets, small bits. How do you guys organize your scraps?

    2. Lighting. I have a 3.5 car garage with only two 4' flourescent fixtures. The ballast died in one. Again. So, I'm going to replace all lighting and am looking at LED pretty hard. I use the space for auto repair and cursing (my personal metric for ranking repair job difficulty), electronics construction and failure, wood working, and speaker building. So, either in candle-feet or lumens per square foot, how much light is enough light?

    Thanks in advance,

    Rob

  • #2
    Re: Garage Org Q's

    Originally posted by weinstro View Post
    Hi,

    I'm about to address the festering zit that is my messy garage and had a couple of items that I'd like to get some input on.

    1. Scrap wood management -- I'm shocked at how much scrap wood I have laying about. Lengths, half consumed sheets, small bits. How do you guys organize your scraps?

    2. Lighting. I have a 3.5 car garage with only two 4' flourescent fixtures. The ballast died in one. Again. So, I'm going to replace all lighting and am looking at LED pretty hard. I use the space for auto repair and cursing (my personal metric for ranking repair job difficulty), electronics construction and failure, wood working, and speaker building. So, either in candle-feet or lumens per square foot, how much light is enough light?

    Thanks in advance,

    Rob
    There is NEVER enough light! LED's do seem to be coming along but,,,, to get enough I think you'd have a lot of fixtures.

    I just happened to be in HD the other day and they had a florescent fixture with T3 high output bulbs that really caught my eye. I know people complain about florescent but,,,, to me it really is the most even distribution of light. That coupled with some other type of "Task Lighting" would be the way I'd go.

    In a 3.5 car garage,,,,, I'd probably go with at least 6, if not 8 of the T3 fixtures, and some well placed incandescent, or halogen, or LED task lighting.

    Hope this helps, Mark

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Garage Org Q's

      For a home application I like T8 florescent fixtures. They are very affordable, efficient, and provide really nice light. You have several choices of bulb temperatures (color of light) which is nice. They also start up very well in colder weather. I have four 2-lamp fixtures in my 2 car garage. Plenty of light. T5-HO fixtures are a big step up but they are quite a bit more expensive. I have had over 100 T5 fixtures installed in different locations at work. I have also tested a ton of different LED lighting fixtures for a bunch of different applications (high bay, low bay, bench task lighting, wall packs, ground mounted spots, etc. While their life expectancy and low energy consumption are king, they haven't knocked my sock off with lighting levels or cost effectiveness.
      Craig

      The lowest possible F3 box alignment is not always the best alignment.

      Designing and building speaker projects are like playing with adult Lego Blocks for me.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Garage Org Q's

        My opinions… Fluorescent lights are cheap and last a long time. Put them in a fixture that can withstand an inadvertent hit from a 2 x 4. I like 3 to 4 four foot fluorescent tubes per 100 square feet, 8 foot ceiling, about 40 to 50 foot candles

        http://www.a-wall.com/light-fixture-calculator.php

        I have a retractable light from the ceiling to look for missed spots when painting with clear and to work on my cars.

        I use a portable rack similar to this, and several 5 gallon buckets to throw cut offs in.
        https://www.pinterest.com/pin/368521181981954388/
        John H

        Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Garage Org Q's

          I am continually trying to organize my garage better and appreciate this thread popping up. I might have actually asked a similar question in the past.

          I really like that portable scrap organizer John linked to but I'd need a smaller one as the one pictured would take up about 50% of my shop space :p

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Garage Org Q's

            For scraps, I just finished building this wood cart design. It works great, and any scraps that I cant fit, are trashed.
            http://woodworking.formeremortals.ne...g-lumber-cart/
            My projects
            https://picasaweb.google.com/112307725038877176664

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Garage Org Q's

              I do IT for a manufacturing company. They have these around the factory near some of the lines to hold supplies (along with TONS of those metal rolling rack things). I really like these, though. They're on casters, so they're easy to move around, and they seem pretty sturdy. I keep thinking I need to build one of these for scraps and my immense collection of baffles.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150218_14_51_01_Pro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	1165522
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

              Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
              Twitter: @undefinition1

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Garage Org Q's

                Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                For a home application I like T8 florescent fixtures. They are very affordable, efficient, and provide really nice light. You have several choices of bulb temperatures (color of light) which is nice. They also start up very well in colder weather. I have four 2-lamp fixtures in my 2 car garage. Plenty of light. T5-HO fixtures are a big step up but they are quite a bit more expensive. I have had over 100 T5 fixtures installed in different locations at work. I have also tested a ton of different LED lighting fixtures for a bunch of different applications (high bay, low bay, bench task lighting, wall packs, ground mounted spots, etc. While their life expectancy and low energy consumption are king, they haven't knocked my sock off with lighting levels or cost effectiveness.
                I have 2x4 surface mount T8s now. Not loving it. Cold performance is poor, even after upgrading ballasts. And this is in California. I'll hypothesize that the builder sourced the cheapest lamps that actually worked. Given that, any specific T8 or T5 model recommendations? Ceiling is roughly 10', and troffer mounts are out.

                I concede the point on LED cost, though. ROI is measured in senatorial election terms.

                Thanks,

                Rob

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Garage Org Q's

                  I refuse to fight the light. The last house we were in had a 2 car garage and I had a cabinet/workbench setup in the front. But before getting that done I installed 3 dual 4ft T5 lights. I swear at night you could land a C-130 from the light it put out. Relatively inexpensive bang for buck light output and it is hard to beat. I also exclusively use daylight spectrum bulbs (5000k). This provides a solid white light and has less shadows that traditional lower color spectrum lights.

                  When we moved to our current house a few years ago it has a 3-car garage. First thing I did was install the same lights in the same configuration. The only thing I had to contend with was the 1 car side. On this side I installed 2 dual 4ft T5 lights. One above the bench and one above where someday I hoped to have a table saw.






                  Installing the cabinets on the wall did cast a pretty good shadow on the bench top. So under each 24" cabinet is a single T15 for a total of three. I wired them to a switch right in front on the wall. This switch also controls power to the AC/DC converter, 20 year old Linear Power ma and bluetooth module. The amp runs a single stereo speaker in the ceiling of the 1-car and 2-car side - got to have bluetooth tunes while working and the integrated USB charger plug in the wall is a plus. I will get around to installing the same T15 lights under the cabinets over the drill press and clamps. The drill press uses a LED bulb purposely. More durable and does not give off the heat.






                  For wood storage I got a wood storage rack at Woodcraft on sale. I converted the lower shelf into a scrap wood box. When it gets full i cull the scraps. This keeps it controlled and if it gets to full I know it is time to throw some away.

                  "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

                  The Madeleine
                  The Roxster
                  Swopes 5.0
                  Acoustic Panels
                  Living Room Make Over

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Garage Org Q's

                    [QUOTE=Gordy;2053330]I refuse to fight the light. The last house we were in had a 2 car garage and I had a cabinet/workbench setup in the front. But before getting that done I installed 3 dual 4ft T5 lights. I swear at night you could land a C-130 from the light it put out. Relatively inexpensive bang for buck light output and it is hard to beat. I also exclusively use daylight spectrum bulbs (5000k). This provides a solid white light and has less shadows that traditional lower color spectrum lights.

                    When we moved to our current house a few years ago it has a 3-car garage. First thing I did was install the same lights in the same configuration. The only thing I had to contend with was the 1 car side. On this side I installed 2 dual 4ft T5 lights. One above the bench and one above where someday I hoped to have a table saw.



                    Gordy, those look like T12 or T8 lamps to me. T5 lamps are about 1/2" diameter and are a more recent technology in four foot fixtures.

                    T12 lamps are the ones that have been around for many years, T8 became common in the last decade or so, Four foot T5 fixtures are more recent, with T5HO often used in high bay fixtures.

                    T8 lamps are about 1" diameter (8/8ths of an inch), and T12s are about 1.5 inches diameter (12/8ths of an inch).

                    HTH,
                    Marvin

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Garage Org Q's

                      Originally posted by marvin View Post

                      Gordy, those look like T12 or T8 lamps to me. T5 lamps are about 1/2" diameter and are a more recent technology in four foot fixtures.

                      T12 lamps are the ones that have been around for many years, T8 became common in the last decade or so, Four foot T5 fixtures are more recent, with T5HO often used in high bay fixtures.

                      T8 lamps are about 1" diameter (8/8ths of an inch), and T12s are about 1.5 inches diameter (12/8ths of an inch).

                      HTH,
                      Marvin
                      Yes yes! I have not idea why I was thinking T5. Yes they are T12 bulbs. Had to go out and confirm.
                      "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

                      The Madeleine
                      The Roxster
                      Swopes 5.0
                      Acoustic Panels
                      Living Room Make Over

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Garage Org Q's

                        24x36 shop with 6 8ft dual t12 fixtures and a dual 4ft t12 fixture under all my shelving. It is as bright as a science lab and will turn on no problem at negative 10 degrees. I love it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Garage Org Q's

                          Originally posted by ROTECH View Post
                          24x36 shop with 6 8ft dual t12 fixtures and a dual 4ft t12 fixture under all my shelving. It is as bright as a science lab and will turn on no problem at negative 10 degrees. I love it.
                          ROTECH, that is so funny. Marvin is landing C-130's and you've got a science lab. Now if you just DOUBLE everything!!! You know I'm joking, but not too much. Looks great. Now when you can see your garage from the ISS, THEN you've got enough light (LOL.) It's sorta' like the Clark Griswold philosophy from "Christmas Vacation. When your lights cause local brownouts at the Hospital, that's probably just about right. All the best, Mike
                          Last edited by LongHorn64; 03-18-2015, 10:47 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Garage Org Q's

                            UHO 96" duals in the garage, a mixture of recycled trofflers and two lamp "shop-lights" about 60% T-12's, all 5000*K 98CRI tubes recycled from four photo labs, three printing shops and two in-house photo departments. I have 2 6' VHO 5000*K dual bulb fixtures in the shop. The UHO's are the old big "rippled" tubes, ex-service station outdoor lighting. They'll last longer than I ever will. I got a half-dozen T-8 trofflers from the owner of the building where the hobby shop is. He's having to "up-grade" by the number of fixtures in the property. $$$$$$$$$! He has to go to 2-tube UHO T-8's or 3 tube VHO T-8's when he replaces a fixture from now on. We need 10 right now. FWIW, high CRI tubes put out fewer lumens, but the light looks so much "cleaner", like sunlight, most people don't notice.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Garage Org Q's

                              Originally posted by Psycoacoustics View Post
                              I just happened to be in HD the other day and they had a florescent fixture with T3 high output bulbs that really caught my eye. I know people complain about florescent but,,,, to me it really is the most even distribution of light. That coupled with some other type of "Task Lighting" would be the way I'd go.

                              In a 3.5 car garage,,,,, I'd probably go with at least 6, if not 8 of the T3 fixtures, and some well placed incandescent, or halogen, or LED task lighting.
                              I think you mean T5. A lot of those are intended for "high bay" installs.

                              Just did a quick TCO model, assuming 48,0000 hrs @ 2,000 hrs / year, 611 ft^2, and California electricity rates:

                              40,000 lumens: T8, $1,545; LED, $1,540 - $2,520; T5, $2,220
                              50,000 lumens: T8, $1,665; LED, $1,795 - $3,150; T5, $2,305

                              I think the T5's are out since they're relatively pricey and the model indicates 4-5 fixtures which could mean uneven light distribution.

                              Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                              http://www.a-wall.com/light-fixture-calculator.php

                              I have a retractable light from the ceiling to look for missed spots when painting with clear and to work on my cars.

                              I use a portable rack similar to this, and several 5 gallon buckets to throw cut offs in.
                              https://www.pinterest.com/pin/368521181981954388/
                              Thanks for the link to the wood scrap cabinet. I'll be making one shortly.

                              I used that same calculator, but it assumes 4 32W T8 troffer fixture. I'll be using surface mount, wrap-around fixtures instead. Any thoughts on how much more light I'll get with the latter over troffers?

                              I have the same retractable ceiling power gizmo.

                              Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
                              UHO 96" duals in the garage, a mixture of recycled trofflers and two lamp "shop-lights" about 60% T-12's, all 5000*K 98CRI tubes recycled from four photo labs, three printing shops and two in-house photo departments...
                              Where are you sourcing 98 CRI flourescent bulbs from? Best I can find are 85....Some of the LEDs are in the 90's, though.

                              Regards,

                              Rob

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X