Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

OT: I need a chainsaw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: I need a chainsaw

Originally posted by tyger23 View Post
    OK - I need a chainsaw. Something small for home use, I'm not cutting down anything bigger than about a 6 or 8 inch tree, so I'm thinking a 14" saw will foot the bill. I don't really want to spend more than $200, but $250 will be ok if it's worth it.
    For one job? Rent it.

Comment

I went by the local orange box store today and checked out the Echo. I left sadly unimpressed. The 14" bar seemed really short, and just seemed to be rather "loose" all over. Granted, this is a pretty beaten-up display model, but it still didn't speak well.

I plan to go check out a Stihl when I get back from my trip, but I wondered if anyone had any experience with a Tanaka/Hitachi? This one seems to be a pretty good deal, but I don't know much (anything) about them:

http://www.cpooutlets.com/tanaka-tcs...efault,pd.html

Thanks again for all the help!
      DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
      The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
      The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
      The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
      AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

Couple of comments. I have a rebadged Husqvarna Rancher(?) which was sold by Sears/Craftsman for some time. It is decent. Plenty of power but I screwed it up changing the blade and need to bring it in. Also, it can be hard to start, stalls sometimes, etc. Needs some tuning.

Anyway, all that aside... I am not an expert but from what I know you should be looking at Stihl for a lifeline type purchase. I do have a Hitachi string trimmer, which I think is a quality piece, especially for the money, but I have no idea how their chainsaws are. The one you linked does look like a pretty good deal but if I were you, I would stick to Stihl even if only for the local service.

Comment

For anyone who wants to know - after talking with more people than I can imagine, reading more reviews than I can count, and groping them like a teenage boy on prom night, I decided to go with the Echo CS-352. I don't think there was a wrong decision here between the Stihl or the Echo.

Most seem to indicate that for the larger saws, the Stihl is far and away the better choice, but for a "homeowner" saw, the Echo was the better value while the Stihl was a very close second. In the end, I was choosing between the CS-352 and the MS180CBE which were the same price. The Stihl would have come with a Woodsman hard case, but I was a bit worried about the tool-less chain tightening system failing. Since I don't plan to use this very often (and not far away from my tools in any case), I didn't deem this to be a necessary feature.

The Echo is supposedly far easier to start and seemed (to me) to have a slightly better balance.

I think, in the end, either would have been a fantastic choice and I wouldn't have regretted either purchase.
          DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
          The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
          The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
          The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
          AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

I was in an OSH Hardware Store, and there on a close out table was an electric chainsaw for $35. It was brand new never used, just a display item. So anyway, I bought it. Works great, paid for itself many times over because I used it to trim trees that I got paid to do. Unfortunately a heavy duty 100ft. extension cord cost twice as much as the chainsaw.

The nice thing about electric is that it starts instantly, no yanking and yanking on the cord hoping the darn thing will start. Electric is totally cool. Nothing hot or smelly or noisy and very low maintenance.

OK - I need a chainsaw. Something small for home use, I'm not cutting down anything bigger than about a 6 or 8 inch tree, so I'm thinking a 14" saw will foot the bill. I don't really want to spend more than $200, but $250 will be ok if it's worth it.

I only want to buy one chainsaw, like ever. I believe in buying a better tool up front to prevent the headache in the rear. It will see limited use, generally once around spring and once around fall for a few hours each.

Currently, I'm leaning towards the Echo 14" at Home Depot for $199. I have a lot of Echo equipment and none of it has ever let me down, but I understand that chainsaws are a different beast....

What do you guys recommend? Oh - I do prefer gas.

Comment

Stihl. Always starts cold on third pull and last forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam12_volt View Post
                Stihl. Always starts cold on third pull and last forever.
                I guess newer Stihl saws start easier. We have had a few Stihl chainsaws, a 4 hp 20" unit and a 3 hp 16" unit and they were both phenomenal performers (bought 15 yrs. ago roughly) but they didn't like to start and were fussy with the start up procedure. I've inadvertently flooded them several times following Stihl's recommended start up procedure. My father's 20" saw just would not start up after a hot shut down for refueling. Eventually he found a forum where someone described what they did to start it up when hot, and he's had no trouble since.

My Stihl weed trimmer is a beast and starts easily (it's only 7 yrs. old or so and has the newer soft-start pull-start system)

TomZ
                *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                  I guess newer Stihl saws start easier. We have had a few Stihl chainsaws, a 4 hp 20" unit and a 3 hp 16" unit and they were both phenomenal performers (bought 15 yrs. ago roughly) but they didn't like to start and were fussy with the start up procedure. I've inadvertently flooded them several times following Stihl's recommended start up procedure. My father's 20" saw just would not start up after a hot shut down for refueling. Eventually he found a forum where someone described what they did to start it up when hot, and he's had no trouble since.

My Stihl weed trimmer is a beast and starts easily (it's only 7 yrs. old or so and has the newer soft-start pull-start system)

TomZ
                  I have also heard a few people complain about Stihls being somewhat more difficult to start than Husqvarnas. But Maybe it is only older models.

Comment

For anyone who wants to know - after talking with more people than I can imagine, reading more reviews than I can count, and groping them like a teenage boy on prom night, I decided to go with the Echo CS-352. I don't think there was a wrong decision here between the Stihl or the Echo.

Most seem to indicate that for the larger saws, the Stihl is far and away the better choice, but for a "homeowner" saw, the Echo was the better value while the Stihl was a very close second. In the end, I was choosing between the CS-352 and the MS180CBE which were the same price. The Stihl would have come with a Woodsman hard case, but I was a bit worried about the tool-less chain tightening system failing. Since I don't plan to use this very often (and not far away from my tools in any case), I didn't deem this to be a necessary feature.

The Echo is supposedly far easier to start and seemed (to me) to have a slightly better balance.

I think, in the end, either would have been a fantastic choice and I wouldn't have regretted either purchase.

Great research, great choice. You cant go wrong with an Echo.
                    "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
                    The Roxster
                    Swopes 5.0
                    Acoustic Panels
                    Living Room Make Over

Comment

Post back after you've ran it hard for little bit. Just for the record, my Stihl is about 8 or more years old and fires up no problem.
                      "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                      "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

+1 fired up the electric today after sitting in the shed for the last 8 months. Cleaned up the junk the tree trimmers left in the woods behind my house.
                        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Don't know how big your property is but I use a Poulan electric a lot around the house. 16" bar, 3-1/2 hp. No gas or filters to mess with or store.
                          I wouldn't by a Poulan gas model but this has done very well, sometimes being run almost constantly for 4-5 hours. About $130.00
                          If you go gas; Husky or Stihl.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3SxBWVN8dw

I need a Maruyama. LMAO

Comment

For around the (semi) urban house, I had a $70 Homelite 16" electric. This thing completely cut up a a downed 50' Blue Spruce with a 32" diameter base into 18" logs for disposal including all smaller branches and most of the stump which came out. Then it completely cut up sixteen 30' white pines for disposal. Lastly, it took care of three medium size maple trees that came down in hurricane Sandy that gave me 2+ full cords of wood. The bearings started to groan at the end and it's gone now but I never would have expected the amount of service it gave.

Tip: For any chain saw you get, also buy the correct size file to sharpen the chain (typically ~$6 @ HD).

Comment

I have one of those Homelite electrics, and it works just fine for the not quite professional lumberjack. It works much better with an Oregon chain, which has 50% more teeth than the cheap chain that comes with the saw. I've used mine to take down and cut up 60 foot maples. But you also need one of these, which makes chopping up all the smaller branches a breeze:
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9mFO_CYZbw
                                www.billfitzmaurice.com
                                www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Working...
                                X