Inexpensive Tablet with USB Port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexpensive Tablet with USB Port

Someone here was looking for one a while ago to stream music via a USB DAC dongle. There's now a solution with a full-size USB 2.0 port in addition to a micro USB port for charging: http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...esults+Feature

Microcenter also has a 7" tablet with full-size USB for $70 but I like the TW802 posted above because it has 2 gigs of faster RAM and twice the SSD storage space. Although at just $70, it would cost more to put something similar together even with a Raspberry Pi.

Re: Inexpensive Tablet with USB Port

Originally posted by MagicO309d View Post
    Someone here was looking for one a while ago to stream music via a USB DAC dongle. There's now a solution with a full-size USB 2.0 port in addition to a micro USB port for charging: http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...esults+Feature

Microcenter also has a 7" tablet with full-size USB for $70 but I like the TW802 posted above because it has 2 gigs of faster RAM and twice the SSD storage space. Although at just $70, it would cost more to put something similar together even with a Raspberry Pi.
    yes, and it also has a screen to boot!

Comment

I have the TW700 7in Winbook that I use a a music source. Great for that purpose. It came with Office 365 but I didn't need it so I sold it making the cost even less. Only thing I don't like is battery drain even while off. But otherwise amazing for the price. One other thing to note is while the 7in and 8in both have the same pixel count, the 8in has a much better screen.
      If you're purpose is anything aside from playing music and browsing, the 8in is the way to go. It's a completely usable PC.
      I use an HDMI cable to connect it to the TV and a bit keyboard and it's a PC. Just need a BT mouse but since I don't really use it as a pic, I'm not planning on one. Amazing that full fledged Windows tablet PCs are cheaper now than Android tablets.
      Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
      Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
      Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
      Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
      Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

I read where the TW700 was on sale for $59 this past holiday shopping season. At these prices, one could just buy them by the dozen, set them to boot up in JRiver, and glue them on the wall in each of their rooms as part of a whole house audio sysem.

What about mounting one in a boom box build to create the ultimate Sonos buster?

Comment

This thing has two real USB ports? Interesting.

I'm thinking about getting a machine just for audio (I bought a $300 Dell netbook in 2010 or so, but it was a POS and stopped working by the fifth or sixth time I used it) but I'd need two usbs to run ARC and Dirac hardware + mike.

Does this thing have enough horsepower to run Unibox, PCD, Xsim? Besides those programs, Anthem ARC, and Dirac until miniDSP gets its OS X versions out, I can't think of any other use for a not-a-Mac. But with the new MacBooks having such scant storage (even 512GB puts a new Pro at 1700 plus shipping at edu pricing) it would be nice to get Parallels off my Mac.

Then I could purge my Mac of parallels.
          --
          "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Originally posted by Pallas View Post
            This thing has two real USB ports? Interesting.

I'm thinking about getting a machine just for audio (I bought a $300 Dell netbook in 2010 or so, but it was a POS and stopped working by the fifth or sixth time I used it) but I'd need two usbs to run ARC and Dirac hardware + mike.

Does this thing have enough horsepower to run Unibox, PCD, Xsim? Besides those programs, Anthem ARC, and Dirac until miniDSP gets its OS X versions out, I can't think of any other use for a not-a-Mac. But with the new MacBooks having such scant storage (even 512GB puts a new Pro at 1700 plus shipping at edu pricing) it would be nice to get Parallels off my Mac.

Then I could purge my Mac of parallels.
            It can no problem, it's a full blown W8.1 PC after all. However, if you don't already have an extra HDMI monitor, usb keyboard, and mouse on hand, this would be a more comfortable alternative: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...&WT.medium=cpc

I actually discovered these Winbooks while pricing the new battery pack, 2gb memory, and 64gb ZIF SSD drive needed to upgrade my 2008 HP Mini netbook to run smoothly with the newer Linux distros. It turns out that it would be cheaper to by one of these much more capable devices instead. They also qualify for free upgrade to Windows 10 when it is released this summer too.

Comment

That HP is a lot more expensive though. I expect I'd just hide it somewhere and use it from my Mac when needed. There is an equivalent of Apple Remote Desktop, right?
              --
              "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

I bought my TW700 when it was $59. The TW802 was $99 initially. I have an Asus 11.6in laptop with a quad-core Atom processor (Z3735-something...too many variations on the last letter in this family) that I use for productivity and general computing. I got it for $156 (with tax and all). It's very lightweight and I take it around the house doing stuff. I think it's price has gone up since, but microsoft store still has the best price on it I think. Comparing the 2, if I really need to do something, I use the laptop with it's built-in keyboard and larger screen, but while it's quite portable (because it's almost as light as a 10in tablet), the tiny TW700 is what I use for simple things like playing music. It sits atop or next to a Schiit DAC and other small components, the whole setup which doesn't take much space. While my Asus laptop is small and light, it still has an attached keyboard I don't need for these uses that takes up space and still larger and heavier than the TW700. Using it as a source to watch movies outside with a projector is easier too with it's small size.
                The TW802 has basically the same specs as my Asus laptop (Atom Z3735x, 2GB RAM, 32GB harddrive), so it should be a great compromise between the productivity of my laptop and small size of the TW700. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, it has a much cleaner display than the TW700 (they likely used a really cheap display to keep the TW700 cost down).
                Microcenter has sales pretty often. Just wait till the TW802 goes on sale for $99 again. I was really tempted to get one also except the idea was met with scorn and choice words from my wife.
                Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
                Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
                Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
                Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
                Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by Pallas View Post
                  That HP is a lot more expensive though. I expect I'd just hide it somewhere and use it from my Mac when needed. There is an equivalent of Apple Remote Desktop, right?
                  VNC (Set-Up-VNC-on-Mac-OS-X
                  and derivatives should work pretty much seamlessly with native IOS remoting.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                  "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                  SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                  My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Working...
                  X