OT: Clever fire extinguisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Clever fire extinguisher

Pretty nifty device. Good luck to these young guys! This would be perfect for home use as it's WAY less messy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...506_story.html

Re: OT: Clever fire extinguisher

Originally posted by JKS View Post
    Pretty nifty device. Good luck to these young guys! This would be perfect for home use as it's WAY less messy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...506_story.html
    Nifty for putting out a fire in a pan. Not sure it would replace CO2 or even powder for a larger area in flames.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I saw this on the news this morning. Maybe I'm just missing something, but it appears to me that all that's happening is the cone movement creates air movement and simply blows out the flame. Other than the air from the cone moving back and forth, why would this be much more different than simply fanning the flames?
      Paul

Comment

I'd prefer old fashioned extinguishers due to no electricity needed, but still that appears pretty cool if it's more than the cone fanning the flames.
        "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

I was hoping someone could explain how it differs than fanning the flames. The explanation of displacing the oxygen molecules makes sense, but I need an Alton Brown or Mr. Wizard to explain it to me in an infotaining way. This would be great for kitchen use imo.

Comment

Originally posted by JKS View Post
            I was hoping someone could explain how it differs than fanning the flames. The explanation of displacing the oxygen molecules makes sense, but I need an Alton Brown or Mr. Wizard to explain it to me in an infotaining way. This would be great for kitchen use imo.
            Fanning the flames simply blows air across the fire. The sound creates areas of greatly differing air pressure with the molecules basically moving back and forth at the speed of sound. That may be too much for the combustion to hold up. They use similar technique with explosions to extinguish flames at burning oil wells.

This device could easily be mounted into the hoods over stoves so that when a fire does pop up, on kicks the woofers over each burner and out goes the flame without drenching the area in chemicals.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

A problem I saw (that the article pointed out near the end) is that this solution isn't doing anything to cool the fuel. So if the fuel is still hot, there's a strong chance it will reignite.

Regardless, it's some great out-of-the-box thinking, and is a cause that could help mankind. So I applaud them.
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
              Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

So what kind of cone material would be superior? Definitely not paper. :D
                "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I wonder how much that thing weighs, especially at the 'wand' end where the woofer and cone are attached. Then there's the battery and electronics in the other hand.
                  "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
                  ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Neo magnet woofer and Li-Ion batteries could help in the weight department, but there goes the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
                      Neo magnet woofer and Li-Ion batteries could help in the weight department, but there goes the price.
                      Neo loses the charge in high heat areas.
                      Later,
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                        Neo loses the charge in high heat areas.
                        Later,
                        Wolf
                        I believe Li-Ion does as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
                          I believe Li-Ion does as well.
                          It's not like the thing is stored in a fire. The magnets and batteries would be just fine even when stored at high ambient temps experienced in a kitchen. Neo motors will get warm when driven by the amp. If neo magnets were that sensitive, they wouldn't be putting them in motors that get quite hot under use.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/neomaginfo.asp

Comment

Cooling is the main element of fire suppression at the current moment. The displacement of oxygen get's the flames down but heat is a stronger element in the fire tetrahedron after something has already ignited.

This is really neat to see my two passions come together though. Hopefully these two guys keep at it. The one is from nearly a stones throw away, Newport News.
                            Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

The thermal layering in a building that has experienced flashover will range in temps from 200*-2000* depending on the contents. At that point no one is alive. The magnets of anything will be absolutely fine if you are capable to grab your speak'-inguish'-er and manage the source.
                              Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Working...
                              X