Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS TMM 5.1 Build

OK,

I swore I would never do an "as you build" thread. Too much pressure. So fair warning for all who follow this thread - I BUILD SLOW. I'm pretty busy and have 3 young kids, so speaker building is very much a hobby when I get I chance. This will probably take me all summer to complete. You have been warned! Also, I blame Dewmeister for lighting the fire under my a$$ as I know he's going to start his OS TMM build soon. I figured I really want him to post lots of pics of his build; so least I could do is reciprocate.

On to the build. I previously built a Swope Sub with the HIVI SP10 in hickory veneer with Solid wood baffles in 100 yr old Barbados Mahogany (see here: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...light=barbados). This will be the matching towers, centre and surrounds.

The towers will be the newly designed (thanks Paul!) OS TMMs. The centre will be a slightly modified OS MTM and the surrounds will be the standard OS TMs.

MDF was cut today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9593 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	1192062
    Carbon13

Re: OS TMM 5.1 Build

Not to discourage you from either building or posting pics, but you can take all of the pressure off yourself by not posting any pics until you're all done.
    Paul

Originally posted by Carbon13 View Post
    OK,

I swore I would never do an "as you build" thread. Too much pressure. So fair warning for all who follow this thread - I BUILD SLOW. I'm pretty busy and have 3 young kids, so speaker building is very much a hobby when I get I chance. This will probably take me all summer to complete. You have been warned! Also, I blame Dewmeister for lighting the fire under my a$$ as I know he's going to start his OS TMM build soon. I figured I really want him to post lots of pics of his build; so least I could do is reciprocate.

On to the build. I previously built a Swope Sub with the HIVI SP10 in hickory veneer with Solid wood baffles in 100 yr old Barbados Mahogany (see here: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...light=barbados). This will be the matching towers, centre and surrounds.

The towers will be the newly designed (thanks Paul!) OS TMMs. The centre will be a slightly modified OS MTM and the surrounds will be the standard OS TMs.

MDF was cut today.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56338[/ATTACH]

Comment

You are off to a good start.
      Do you prefer MDF over plywood?
      I'm not sure what I'm going to use.

A slightly modified OS MTM center, interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
        Not to discourage you from either building or posting pics, but you can take all of the pressure off yourself by not posting any pics until you're all done.
        Paul
        Yeh I know. That's what I've previously done but thought I'd try this out and see how it goes (sometimes a bit of pressure can be motivating...)
        Carbon13

Comment

I hate MDF but I had some I needed to use up. I much rather working with ply or better yet, solid wood.

But for speakers, MDF is hard to beat. Lots of discussions on void free ply on the forums and I've seen some really bad cases of voids in plywood.
          Carbon13

Comment

Some progress and screw-ups to report (my usual 1 step forward, 2 steps backward approach!).

I started to glue up my cabinets (see pics below). I siliconed the joints in the towers and bondo'd the tops to hide my poor buttjoints from showing through the veneer. Actually, it's the first time I've had really good luck working with bondo - it's the small victories! It then went downhill from there...

I'm going to be putting a "floating" hardwood baffle on the front with hanger bolts and planned for a removable back (so the view in pics are looking through the back). However, I failed to think ahead about the seal for the removable back. I should have probably put a rabbet around the edge for a gasket, which I could do now - but that means cutting a new piece for the back. Or I glue in a frame around the inside for the back panel to sit against - then I can use the piece I have now. Suggestions/recommendations welcome!

My second screw up was on the center box. I accidentally glued the "removable" back in place. So now I have a fully sealed box which means I'm going to have to do everything through the driver cutouts. I think it's doable but it's a pain.

TM surrounds are now being glued up. Same issue with the removable backs but I'm thinking for those I'm just to glue them in as I should be able to do everything through the driver cutout.

Name:	IMG_9613 (Medium).JPG
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	1165919Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9614 (Medium).JPG
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	1165920
            Carbon13

Comment

The entire back would be removable?
              If you're veneering the sides, the back panel will have to be flush, won't it.
              You may have to go the rabbet route so it sits inside the side panels.

I planned on just the lower maybe 6" removable to get at the crossover.

On the TM's you can get by with working through the driver cutout.
              It's a tight squeeze, I made the crossover small enough to fit through the opening.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewmiester View Post
                The entire back would be removable?
                If you're veneering the sides, the back panel will have to be flush, won't it.
                You may have to go the rabbet route so it sits inside the side panels.

I planned on just the lower maybe 6" removable to get at the crossover.

On the TM's you can get by with working through the driver cutout.
                It's a tight squeeze, I made the crossover small enough to fit through the opening.
                I have a panel already cut that fits into the opening (the braces are recessed 3/4"), so I could just glue in a frame around the back, 3/4" in. The volume is calculated for that.

I didn't think about only a partial removable back. I like that idea - Thanks! I love this community ;)

I'm thinking I may add a small bag of sand at the bottom for weight (small kiddies at home).
                Carbon13

Comment

Well, I actually got a couple hours in the shop today...and on mother's day too! Mind you I did get up early with the kids so my wife could sleep in, bring her breakfast in bed, buy her lunch and cook an awesome dinner, and bought her jewelry...so I didn't even get the stink eye for hiding in the garage for a few hours this afternoon;)

Anyway, to pick back up on the build, I was trying to figure out how to best do the removable backs on the towers. I stupidly cut the back of the cabinet to fit the opening instead of doing a recessed lip. Soooo, I bit the bullet and decided to recut the backs and rabet a lip for a good seal. I used a 3/8" x 1/2" rabetting bit to do the job, first on the inside edges of the cabinet:

Name:	IMG_9649 (Medium).JPG
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	1166380

This worked great as the cabinet acted as a trap for all the dust on the router table...cleanest routing I've ever done!! I could only route the recess about 1/4 deep as I had to clear the braces; but it's enough. I then cut the back panels, used my bench sander to round the corners and then the same bit to route the lip on the backs. I made it about 1/16 deeper than flush to allow for the gasket (you can see in the pics below).

Name:	IMG_9650 (Medium).JPG
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1166381Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9651 (Medium).JPG
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	1166382Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9652 (Medium).JPG
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	1166383

That's all for now. Next I'm going to cut the solid wood baffle and plane it down, then start on the veneering and lining the cab. Save the xover for later once I get all the messy stuff done.
                  Carbon13

Comment

Nice work, top notch.

Comment

Some more progress. I got some of the hickory veneer on, still need to do bottoms and backs. I like the pattern on the sides of the towers, there's 2 spots that look like owl eyes...kinda cool. I also got the baffles cut and the woofer holes cut. The wood looks different colours in the pic just because they are in various stages of filling the pours with shellac. I haven't drilled the tweeter holes yet as I need to get some odd size forstner bits, but I found a place that has them and I'm going this week.

Name:	IMG_9712 (Medium).JPG
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	1166913Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9714 (Medium).JPG
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	1166914

Fitting the driver in the cutout gets me excited to hear the final product...still a ways from that but it's motivating ;)

Name:	IMG_9716 (Medium).JPG
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	1166915
                      Carbon13

Comment

Really nice wood working skills .Beautiful wood grain on those cabinets .

Comment

Looking good.
                          I'm also thinking of hickory veneer.
                          Where did you get yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewmiester View Post
                            Looking good.
                            I'm also thinking of hickory veneer.
                            Where did you get yours.
                            I got mine at an exotic wood shop just outside of toronto: http://www.exotic-woods.com/index.html

They have some incredible wood there, particularly some nice live edge pieces that would make great tables (maybe a future wood working project...). They had a stack of hickory veneer sheets and the guy was nice enough to go through them with me and when I saw the figure on this one I knew instantly it was perfect. I had bit of extra waste in order to get the 4 sides identical on the towers but I think it was totally worth it. I had to buy a separate small sheet of veneer for the bottom and backs but no one will see those.

And it was funny, when I started cutting the sheet I had it tear and I thought "OH CRAP!" but it ripped in the exact spot I was planning to cut - talk about the speaker building gods smiling on me that day!
                            Carbon13

Comment

OS TMMs are coming along. It's been a busy summer so I haven't had much time to work on them but I'm hoping to wrap them up this fall. Boxes are all built and veneered and the solid baffles are all cut and ready for finishing (will post more pics soon). What's left for the most part is the cross overs and the finishing. I'm just about to line the cabs but I have a question. Below is a pic of the bottom 1/3 lined (not glued yet). It looks like this foam takes up a huge amount of volume. Is this going to be an issue for the tuning? I know that Paul said he stuffed his cabs but mentioned they could be lined as well. Just want to know if I'm heading in the right direction or if this will cause problems? Would I be better to stuff them instead?

Name:	IMG_0101 (Medium).JPG
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	1169221
                              Carbon13

Comment

Working...
                              X