OS TMM 5.1 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OS TMM 5.1 Build

So I'm finally finished the build; merry x-mas to me! It's been a long haul but I'm really pleased with the results. I still have to hook everything up to my main amp and build a couple stands for the surrounds but all speakers are finished and tested (and actually working!!).

Thought I would share a few additional pics:

x-overs (not pretty but they work...):

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0657 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	1170788

Here's the front of the cabinet without the baffles note gasket around the edge; and a pic showing how the hanger bolts insert.

Name:	IMG_0660 (Medium).JPG
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	1170789Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0661 (Medium).JPG
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	1170790
    Attached Files
    Carbon13

Comment

Here's the TMMs finished (sorry for the poor lighting...not photographer and high gloss is tricky to shoot):

Name:	IMG_0705 (Medium).JPG
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1170791Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0706 (Medium).JPG
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	1170792Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0708 (Medium).JPG
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1170793Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0714 (Medium).JPG
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1170794Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0717 (Medium).JPG
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	1170795
      Carbon13

Comment

Here's the big happy family...

Name:	IMG_0667 (Medium).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1170796Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0677 (Medium).JPG
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	1170797Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0685 (Medium).JPG
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1170798
        Carbon13

Comment

No one should complain about those in their home. Beautiful.

Comment

I agree completely. Really good looking cabinets.
            Paul

Originally posted by djg View Post
            No one should complain about those in their home. Beautiful.

Comment

Great work Carbon! I like the contrast. Can you elaborate on what poly you used? Ive read that it dries in layers so it you rub through one sanding or polishing it can leave an uneven finish since its the layer under the one that was sanded. I'm not saying that is what happened im just wondering what type of poly you used because it turned looking spectacular.
              My Build Thread's
              Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
                Great work Carbon! I like the contrast. Can you elaborate on what poly you used? Ive read that it dries in layers so it you rub through one sanding or polishing it can leave an uneven finish since its the layer under the one that was sanded. I'm not saying that is what happened im just wondering what type of poly you used because it turned looking spectacular.
                I used Varathane Professional 900 gloss oil based polyurathane. It does dry in layers but the trick is applying it in medium/light even layers until all grain is filled (with open grain like hickory it took about 6 coats). I let each coat dry overnight and sanded with 400 grit between. Final coat I let cure for approx. 1 week and then wet sanded with 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000. Rubbed out with Meguiars 105 ultra cut compound and 205 polishing compound and finished with paste wax.

With the Barbados Mahogany the poly wouldn't go on the bare wood. I've read that this could be from contaminates such as silicates from furniture polish (like pledge) but I find it hard to believe they would penetrate this deep. I planed the wood, scraped and sanded aggresively (probably took near 1/4 inch off surface). So I suspect it may be the natural oils in the wood that are incompatible with the poly.

I ended up going with shellac, which I really like working with but it can be tricky. Unlike poly, the coats dissolve into one another. I had completely finished the baffles in shellac and wrapped them in cloth only to find that once my garage heater kicked in the finish softened and wrinkled. I suspect I probably needed a longer cure time. In the end, I decided to use a few coats of shellac to seal the wood and then put on poly. This worked well and is the finish you see in the pics.
                Carbon13

Comment

Thanks for the info Carbon. I tried quiet a few finishes now but I never used a non-wipe on poly so I bet that was my problem. It was never thick enough to not rub through the topcoat. The easiest, fastest and least amount of fume finish I have used is this water based stuff from Target Coatings http://targetcoatings.com/ it dries in a few hours and I rubbed out a finish the next day on my Carrera's. It's great stuff to work with, I sprayed it in the basement with only a bathroom fan on because the fumes are very minimal.

I'll try the poly you suggested again when it's summer time and I can use the garage.
                  My Build Thread's
                  Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

I've never used water based poly before so it's good to hear you've had good luck with it. The wipe on stuff is really just diluted poly, so it takes a lot more to build up the coats. Not suprising that it's easier to sand through.
                    Carbon13

Comment

UPDATE - I've got the OS TMMs hooked up to my Emotiva amp and all I can say is WOW!! I'm playing them just in stereo and I had to double check that the sub was off. These things have serious bass!
                      Carbon13

Comment

Absolutly fantastic job Carbon - love'em.

Comment

Wow!! What an amazingly beautiful build! Now I know what to strive for on my next build!

Comment

Love this project. Well done. You said that the center channel has been modified from the original - what did you change? What are the dimensions? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ZoZat65 View Post
                              Love this project. Well done. You said that the center channel has been modified from the original - what did you change? What are the dimensions? Thanks!
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...center-channel
                              Carbon13

Comment

WOW! Very beautiful. Great job.

Comment

Working...
                                X