Impulse bought a new TV over the weekend - Sony Bravia XBR55X850B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impulse bought a new TV over the weekend - Sony Bravia XBR55X850B

I went in Best Buy on Sunday while my wife was getting her hair done at a salon close by and went browsing around in the Magnolia center. They had a floor model Sony Bravia XBR55X850B 55" TV on sale as they were trying to make room for the replacement models. It was marked down to $1099, which even with tax, was cheaper than I could find at any authorized dealer on the net. I wasn't intending to buy anything, just look, but it was a good deal and our old TV was only a 40" (the first Samsung LED TV released back in 2009) so it was a pretty big step up in size and it came with 4K (and 3D, although I don't know how much I will use it) so I hopefully won't have to upgrade again anytime soon.

The picture is pretty impressive and Sony has a "Cinema" mode that is essentially already calibrated to industry standards, which is pretty cool. It is definitely better than my Samsung on black levels and overall color. Blurays look great, although our SD cable now looks like it needs an upgrade

Luckily my wife is pretty cool with it. We went by the Sony store in a local mall a year or so ago and she told me we needed to upgrade the TV after looking at some of the sets there. Her only concern was that this one wasn't big enough compared to the old one. I kept telling her that it was because she was looking at it next to the other 65" and 75" TVs in the store. When we got home, she said "wow, ok, that is way bigger than I thought." I've got a picture of it sitting in front of the old Samsung while we were waiting for the new wall mount to come in that I will post when I get out of work.
    -Kerry

Re: Impulse bought a new TV over the weekend - Sony Bravia XBR55X850B

Before we bought our first LED set (2nd gen Samsung), I researched extensively, and
    almost every review said that the Sony XBRs had the best color fidelity. At that time,
    XBRs were about $3000, so too rich for our budget, but we've been happy with our 40 inch Samsung.

Pretty soon though, I'm looking at a 4K upgrade and a larger screen.
    Enjoy!

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Sounds like a great price and a great deal to me! Congrats!

Our Samsung plasma is showing RED!!!! So I am looking to replace it soon, but don't know if I can get any better to satisfy me.

However, my youngest son brought his Inspire Drone over and shot some pics of our subdivision (see YouTube video) with the 4K onboard camera and I know I will be happy with 4K when it's happening.

We also had a 40" and the 50" was a big upgrade for us.

Happy watching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWC_Q0pjVFo

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
      I went in Best Buy on Sunday while my wife was getting her hair done at a salon close by and went browsing around in the Magnolia center. They had a floor model Sony Bravia XBR55X850B 55" TV on sale as they were trying to make room for the replacement models. It was marked down to $1099, which even with tax, was cheaper than I could find at any authorized dealer on the net. I wasn't intending to buy anything, just look, but it was a good deal and our old TV was only a 40" (the first Samsung LED TV released back in 2009) so it was a pretty big step up in size and it came with 4K (and 3D, although I don't know how much I will use it) so I hopefully won't have to upgrade again anytime soon.

The picture is pretty impressive and Sony has a "Cinema" mode that is essentially already calibrated to industry standards, which is pretty cool. It is definitely better than my Samsung on black levels and overall color. Blurays look great, although our SD cable now looks like it needs an upgrade

Luckily my wife is pretty cool with it. We went by the Sony store in a local mall a year or so ago and she told me we needed to upgrade the TV after looking at some of the sets there. Her only concern was that this one wasn't big enough compared to the old one. I kept telling her that it was because she was looking at it next to the other 65" and 75" TVs in the store. When we got home, she said "wow, ok, that is way bigger than I thought." I've got a picture of it sitting in front of the old Samsung while we were waiting for the new wall mount to come in that I will post when I get out of work.
      -Robert

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
        Before we bought our first LED set (2nd gen Samsung), I researched extensively, and
        almost every review said that the Sony XBRs had the best color fidelity. At that time,
        XBRs were about $3000, so too rich for our budget, but we've been happy with our 40 inch Samsung.

Pretty soon though, I'm looking at a 4K upgrade and a larger screen.
        Enjoy!
        Yeah, this TV was selling at $2999 just under a year ago, so I'm pretty happy with it. I do feel the Sony has better color/contrast, but I didn't actually get the best Samsung had available at the time either. The first generation LEDs were not as quite as good as their top of the line standard LCDs, but they looked so cool being less than a half inch thick.
        -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by woodsart View Post
          Sounds like a great price and a great deal to me! Congrats!

Our Samsung plasma is showing RED!!!! So I am looking to replace it soon, but don't know if I can get any better to satisfy me.

However, my youngest son brought his Inspire Drone over and shot some pics of our subdivision (see YouTube video) with the 4K onboard camera and I know I will be happy with 4K when it's happening.

We also had a 40" and the 50" was a big upgrade for us.

Happy watching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWC_Q0pjVFo
          You should take a look while they are starting to make room for new models and see if you can snag a deal. LCD/LED TV's can't and may not ever hit the black levels of a good plasma, but they are a lot less finicky and a whole lot thinner/lighter. If you get some of the higher end models, you will probably be ok.

I was actually planning on waiting until the new round of TVs came out because they are supposed to be introducing a new expanded dynamic color range or whatever it's called, sometime soon. It's not one of those gimmicky processing features, but actually expands the native color space of the display and is supposed to make a big impact on the 4K screens coming out soon.
          -Kerry

Comment

The rear-projection TV that was in the living room of a house my oldest daughter rents with a couple of friends died, so my wife (!) talked me into buying a new TV and giving them our 52" Samsung LN52A650. So I bought a 60" 4K Samsung HU8550. I know, 4K sources are few and far between, but even with 1080 sources the picture is much better than our previous set. Youtube has a number of 4K videos, and they are spectacular.
            It is estimated that one percent of the general population are psychopaths - New Criminologist: Understanding Psychopaths

Comment

Originally posted by mattk View Post
              The rear-projection TV that was in the living room of a house my oldest daughter rents with a couple of friends died, so my wife (!) talked me into buying a new TV and giving them our 52" Samsung LN52A650. So I bought a 60" 4K Samsung HU8550. I know, 4K sources are few and far between, but even with 1080 sources the picture is much better than our previous set. Youtube has a number of 4K videos, and they are spectacular.
              I haven't tried any actual 4K content yet. I need to connect up an Ethernet cable so I can play YouTube videos on the TV. My receiver is a Marantz SR5003 and doesn't do 3D or 4K pass-through, but I probably won't be able to upgrade it for a while.
              -Kerry

Comment

Did you see any LG OLED TVs at BB? I was recently in one of our local BBs. They had signs for the LGs, but no actual sets.
                "We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."
                –Robert Wilensky

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Anspach View Post
                  Did you see any LG OLED TVs at BB? I was recently in one of our local BBs. They had signs for the LGs, but no actual sets.
                  I saw some LG TVs but I don't know if they were OLED. The Magnolia center doesn't have any info on the TVs posted and I didn't ask about any since they weren't close to the same price as the Sony.
                  -Kerry

Comment

I haven't tried any actual 4K content yet. I need to connect up an Ethernet cable so I can play YouTube videos on the TV. My receiver is a Marantz SR5003 and doesn't do 3D or 4K pass-through, but I probably won't be able to upgrade it for a while.
                    My new Samsung is 3D also, but I won't be doing that, I get severe vertigo with 3D. I imagine by the time 4K sources are common that there will be full bandwidth HDCP 2.2 AVRs, so I'll upgrade my Pioneer then. I'm hoping that Roku comes out with a 4K model this year.
                    It is estimated that one percent of the general population are psychopaths - New Criminologist: Understanding Psychopaths

Comment

You will like it! Sonys XBR55X850B 55" is a good catch at that price, good picture now just calibrate it and find the settings YOU like and it should last along time. I like the way Sony interacts with other Sony equipment to. Both my wife and I used the can't read the credits excuse to up grade. You should like the way Sony deals with media too..
                      ‘There are none so blind as those who will not see.’

Comment

Impulse buys are usually a very bad thing, but this one sounds pretty good. It only cost 6 wife salon visits too. :p

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429220572.887646.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	1166038

You can just see the Samsung behind it. Not that much bigger she says!
                          -Kerry

Comment

I'm still running a Philips 42" 720P TV, with no HD tuner. Circa 2008...
                            Every now and then I get the itch to upgrade/update, but it still works...
                            My Statement monitors
                            My Piccolatas
                            My LM3886 amp

Comment

[ATTACH]56657[/ATTACH]

You can just see the Samsung behind it. Not that much bigger she says!
                              It doesn't hang over the ends of the furniture yet....you can go even bigger next time! :p

Comment

Working...
                              X