Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

State of my Statement Monitors

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • State of my Statement Monitors

    So, after listening to my Statement monitors for about 6 months, I have come to the conclusion that they do indeed produce good sounds.
    That is, as long as I don't turn up my amp with a lot of bass. Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" will kick that midrange speaker with all that low frequency.
    If I don't watch it, I could blow that mid any given time.

    Again, I like my Monitors, But I am learning to live with its short comings.
    Statement Monitors

    Duratex is your friend

  • #2
    Re: State of my Statement Monitors

    I wouldn't think the mid should be getting much LF at all. I would be wondering about the crossover. The woofer/mid is supposed to cross at 500 hz.
    I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
    OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
    Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
    Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
    Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
    LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: State of my Statement Monitors

      Originally posted by Steven72555 View Post
      So, after listening to my Statement monitors for about 6 months, I have come to the conclusion that they do indeed produce good sounds.
      That is, as long as I don't turn up my amp with a lot of bass. Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" will kick that midrange speaker with all that low frequency.
      If I don't watch it, I could blow that mid any given time.

      Again, I like my Monitors, But I am learning to live with its short comings.
      I began this hobby in 1979 when, playing at a party, using a friends suitcase-sized 150 Watt Pioneer Receiver, during the saxophone part of Money on DSOTM there was a smell of smoke and both midranges were gone. Knowing nothing, I was able to repair them was a pair of Radio Shack midranges that just happened to work with the existing hole and crossover (if it hadn't have worked I may have never got the bug, who knows). After this I was fascinated and built a pair of SpeakerLab kits and ordered Pat Snyder's manuals, and 35 years later the experience continues.

      Just saying DSOTM and midranges have had a long and fascinating relationship. Be careful. And like Fastbike, I would double check that crossover.
      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: State of my Statement Monitors

        Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
        I wouldn't think the mid should be getting much LF at all. I would be wondering about the crossover. The woofer/mid is supposed to cross at 500 hz.
        I have rebuilt the crossover twice with the same results.
        I would gladly send them, (one at a time), to somebody and get some new eyes on it, to see if I am doing something wrong.
        Statement Monitors

        Duratex is your friend

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: State of my Statement Monitors

          I use my monitors almost daily for music and ht, and have not seen anything like that. Do you have pictures of the crossover?
          My Statement monitors
          My Piccolatas
          My LM3886 amp

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: State of my Statement Monitors

            Originally posted by Silver1omo View Post
            I use my monitors almost daily for music and ht, and have not seen anything like that. Do you have pictures of the crossover?
            Yes I do

            Statement Monitors

            Duratex is your friend

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: State of my Statement Monitors

              They look good to my eyes. Do you see the same problem in both speakers?
              My Statement monitors
              My Piccolatas
              My LM3886 amp

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: State of my Statement Monitors

                Originally posted by Silver1omo View Post
                They look good to my eyes. Do you see the same problem in both speakers?
                yep..
                I love good bass, But I don't use it to the extreme
                Statement Monitors

                Duratex is your friend

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: State of my Statement Monitors

                  Maybe you need a pair of Tarkus speakers.
                  In Paul's words they: walk the line between "refined and resolving" and "kick ***."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: State of my Statement Monitors

                    Originally posted by Steven72555 View Post
                    yep..
                    I love good bass, But I don't use it to the extreme
                    OK, so, let's establish facts. "That is, as long as I don't turn up my amp with a lot of bass. Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" will kick that midrange speaker with all that low frequency.
                    If I don't watch it"

                    How loud is that?
                    What track?
                    Do you see a lot of excursion?
                    Does it start to make odd/funny noises?

                    I have DSOTM and a pair of monitors. When I get home (I'm guessing tomorrow) I can try to reproduce the problem...
                    My Statement monitors
                    My Piccolatas
                    My LM3886 amp

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: State of my Statement Monitors

                      Originally posted by Silver1omo View Post
                      OK, so, let's establish facts. "That is, as long as I don't turn up my amp with a lot of bass. Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" will kick that midrange speaker with all that low frequency.
                      If I don't watch it"

                      How loud is that?
                      What track?
                      Do you see a lot of excursion?
                      Does it start to make odd/funny noises?

                      I have DSOTM and a pair of monitors. When I get home (I'm guessing tomorrow) I can try to reproduce the problem...
                      Can't tell you exactly how loud it is.
                      Track 1, track 3.
                      No funny noises except the fact that the mid wasn't made for bass that comes from the songs.
                      Statement Monitors

                      Duratex is your friend

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: State of my Statement Monitors

                        Us and Them @ 6:00
                        Take into consideration that tracks 1 - 5 ( with the copious use of vcs3 ) have gotten the V.C's nice and warm already.
                        "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                        “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                        "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: State of my Statement Monitors

                          Originally posted by Steven72555 View Post
                          Can't tell you exactly how loud it is.
                          Track 1, track 3.
                          No funny noises except the fact that the mid wasn't made for bass that comes from the songs.
                          OK, then you see over excursion?
                          Or what is telling you that you have a problem?
                          My Statement monitors
                          My Piccolatas
                          My LM3886 amp

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: State of my Statement Monitors

                            Originally posted by Silver1omo View Post
                            OK, then you see over excursion?
                            Or what is telling you that you have a problem?
                            Sorry, I am not sure what you mean by excursion.
                            What is telling me that I have a problem is that when there is heavy bass at a decent volume level, the midrange looks and sounds like it is fixing to blow.
                            Statement Monitors

                            Duratex is your friend

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: State of my Statement Monitors

                              Originally posted by Steven72555 View Post
                              Sorry, I am not sure what you mean by excursion.
                              Basically, excursion is how far the woofer (or I guess mid too) moves in and out. "Max excursion" (I think the same as Xmax) means you're finding the limits of how far it'll travel. I honestly don't think I've seen this in a mid that was playing above even 300hz though, so I'm not sure how you're getting "max excursion" out of those.

                              "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                              "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X