Clear All

Re: The Champs - ID 2015 2nd Place Speakers

I really liked the veneer on these Ron!
    See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Derekj View Post
      I really liked the veneer on these Ron!
      Thanks. I've been using up some veneer left over from other projects and managed to have enough nice pieces of cherry to finish these. I managed to come up with fronts that had some pretty heavy fleck and were pretty well matched. I didn't have much to spare when I got done. The Watco Danish Oil really seemed to make the grain show up too. It will be interesting to see what happens when they get a little age on them.

Ron
      C-Note Iron Driver Build
      The Lydias
      The Cherry π's
      The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
      My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

Wow! Those look great. Looking forward to hearing them in Dakota.
        Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.

We are passionate about great sound at whatever level we can afford, so don't let the audio atheists reduce the experience to a set of numbers and squiggly lines. - jbruner

Comment

Originally posted by S7910 View Post
          Wow! Those look great. Looking forward to hearing them in Dakota.
          Can't believe I posted the build without a shot of the finished speakers. I just uploaded a shot to the post #4 in this thread. See you in SD.

Ron
          C-Note Iron Driver Build
          The Lydias
          The Cherry π's
          My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

Nice work, very nice!

I noticed that the impedance is about 4 ohms in the tweeter range but min of 6 over the rest.
            Did you consider increasing the series resistance to the tweeter and raising the shunt for the
            same attenuation but a higher impedance?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Basel View Post
              Nice work, very nice!

I noticed that the impedance is about 4 ohms in the tweeter range but min of 6 over the rest.
              Did you consider increasing the series resistance to the tweeter and raising the shunt for the
              same attenuation but a higher impedance?
              I honestly hadn't paid any attention to the impedance until I measured them when I had them done. I use SE for my design work and set it's crossover optimizer to never go below 4 ohms so that's how the tweeter crossover impedance turned out. In the future I'll try to pay more attention to what I'm doing. :D

Ron
              C-Note Iron Driver Build
              The Lydias
              The Cherry π's
              My Projects Page

Comment

I've never used that optimizer but I'd probably fix R11 at 10 or 20 ohms and set the lower limit to 6 ohms and see what you get. The tweeter has a good sized impedance peak at resonance so not sure how well it will optimize with the larger values for R11.
                Nice work anyway.
                Is there a 4 ohm version of that woofer? I'm too lazy to look and you seem very familiar with them.

Comment

I reset the Zin limit to 4 ohms and the optimizer wouldn't raise the impedance much at all. I took the R12 shunt resister out of the circuit and the optimizer was able to raise the impedance and hit the target response with a 5.8 ohm series resister.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ID2 Sim of Modified Zin.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	749.5 KB
ID:	1166619

I'm going to leave it as is so I can show them at DDIY as they were at the ID contest.

There's only one version of this woofer. They make a 4 ohm paper cone 6 1/2 but it's response looks pretty sad on their data sheet.

Ron
                  C-Note Iron Driver Build
                  The Lydias
                  The Cherry π's
                  My Projects Page

Comment

The speakers came back from Brooklyn yesterday. I opened them up and got a picture of the crossover and took a shot of the pair showing the back of one. I've edited post #4 to add the pictures, document the box dimensions and added a link to Roman's measurements. Next stop - DDIY 2015.
                    Ron
                    C-Note Iron Driver Build
                    The Lydias
                    The Cherry π's
                    My Projects Page

Comment

Nice job on the speakers Ron, hope to get to hear these someday. Unfortunately I can't swing DDIY :(

Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
                      Yes, I will bring my ID entry to SD. I hope Arlis gets his too. Same design, but in different implementation of enclosure. Same internal volume and tuning, but mine is 0.23" ply and his is 3/4 mdf. We can see what effect thicker and heavier cabinets have!
                      That'll be a fun comparison! Looking forward to what you guys find out
                      "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                      "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post

That'll be a fun comparison! Looking forward to what you guys find out
                        Would be even more fun if you could do a blind comparison like the iron driver event itself and then see who can tell which is which.

Comment

Working...
                        X