Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

The Champs - ID 2015 2nd Place Speakers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron_E
    started a topic The Champs - ID 2015 2nd Place Speakers

The Champs - ID 2015 2nd Place Speakers

My Iron Driver entry was a 2-way designed around the SB19 iron driver tweeter and Peerless 830875 6.5" Nomex woofer.

http://www.parts-express.com/peerles...ofer--264-1092
    http://www.sbacoustics.com/index.php...sb19st-c000-4/Click image for larger version

Name:	Cut-&-Dadoed-Panels.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	1192224

Glue Up
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Glueup.jpg
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	1192225

Gluing in the battens. The short strips have the ends cut at a slight angle so they can be tipped into the slot in the box.

Name:	Gluing-in-the-battens.jpg
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	1192226

Gluing in the bracing

Name:	Gluing-in-the-bracing.jpg
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1192227

Gluing in the cross braces

Name:	Gluing-in-the-cross-bracing.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1192228

Too be continued ...

Ron

• jclin4
    replied
    Re: The Champs - ID 2015 2nd Place Speakers

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post

That'll be a fun comparison! Looking forward to what you guys find out
    Would be even more fun if you could do a blind comparison like the iron driver event itself and then see who can tell which is which.

Leave a comment:

• mattsk8
    replied

Nice job on the speakers Ron, hope to get to hear these someday. Unfortunately I can't swing DDIY :(

Originally posted by ani_101 View Post
    Yes, I will bring my ID entry to SD. I hope Arlis gets his too. Same design, but in different implementation of enclosure. Same internal volume and tuning, but mine is 0.23" ply and his is 3/4 mdf. We can see what effect thicker and heavier cabinets have!
    That'll be a fun comparison! Looking forward to what you guys find out

Leave a comment:

• Ron_E
    replied

The speakers came back from Brooklyn yesterday. I opened them up and got a picture of the crossover and took a shot of the pair showing the back of one. I've edited post #4 to add the pictures, document the box dimensions and added a link to Roman's measurements. Next stop - DDIY 2015.
    Ron

Leave a comment:

• Ron_E
    replied

I reset the Zin limit to 4 ohms and the optimizer wouldn't raise the impedance much at all. I took the R12 shunt resister out of the circuit and the optimizer was able to raise the impedance and hit the target response with a 5.8 ohm series resister.

Name:	ID2 Sim of Modified Zin.jpg
Size:	749.5 KB
ID:	1166619

I'm going to leave it as is so I can show them at DDIY as they were at the ID contest.

There's only one version of this woofer. They make a 4 ohm paper cone 6 1/2 but it's response looks pretty sad on their data sheet.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• Pete Basel
    replied

I've never used that optimizer but I'd probably fix R11 at 10 or 20 ohms and set the lower limit to 6 ohms and see what you get. The tweeter has a good sized impedance peak at resonance so not sure how well it will optimize with the larger values for R11.
    Nice work anyway.
    Is there a 4 ohm version of that woofer? I'm too lazy to look and you seem very familiar with them.

Leave a comment:

• Ron_E
    replied

Originally posted by Pete Basel View Post
    Nice work, very nice!

I noticed that the impedance is about 4 ohms in the tweeter range but min of 6 over the rest.
    Did you consider increasing the series resistance to the tweeter and raising the shunt for the
    same attenuation but a higher impedance?
    I honestly hadn't paid any attention to the impedance until I measured them when I had them done. I use SE for my design work and set it's crossover optimizer to never go below 4 ohms so that's how the tweeter crossover impedance turned out. In the future I'll try to pay more attention to what I'm doing. :D

Ron

Leave a comment:

• Pete Basel
    replied

Nice work, very nice!

I noticed that the impedance is about 4 ohms in the tweeter range but min of 6 over the rest.
    Did you consider increasing the series resistance to the tweeter and raising the shunt for the
    same attenuation but a higher impedance?

Leave a comment:

• Ron_E
    replied

Originally posted by S7910 View Post
    Wow! Those look great. Looking forward to hearing them in Dakota.
    Can't believe I posted the build without a shot of the finished speakers. I just uploaded a shot to the post #4 in this thread. See you in SD.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• S7910
    replied

Wow! Those look great. Looking forward to hearing them in Dakota.

Leave a comment:

• Ron_E
    replied

Originally posted by Derekj View Post
    I really liked the veneer on these Ron!
    Thanks. I've been using up some veneer left over from other projects and managed to have enough nice pieces of cherry to finish these. I managed to come up with fronts that had some pretty heavy fleck and were pretty well matched. I didn't have much to spare when I got done. The Watco Danish Oil really seemed to make the grain show up too. It will be interesting to see what happens when they get a little age on them.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• Derekj
    replied

I really liked the veneer on these Ron!

Leave a comment:

• jclin4
    replied

There were several really great entries in this competition. I did score the Champs the highest in the first round. (Great job, Ron!)

Unfortunately I had to leave before the start of the run-off round, so would have been interesting to see if I would have maintained the same relative ranking between the two or shift it, as Kerry did.

Leave a comment:

• Ron_E
    replied

Here's a link to Roman's measurements

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...13#post2064113

Thanks Roman.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• ani_101
    replied

Originally posted by Ron_E View Post
    Thanks for the feedback and ata-boys guys. I was afraid a 3-way with a bigger woofer might have an advantage over my 2-way and it looks like that's how it turned out. I just felt like the budget leaned toward a 2-way. I thought the winning design made some smart design choices and was beautiful to look at. I'm looking forward to seeing how they put it all together and how it measured.

I will definitely be bringing these to SD Johnny. I'm pretty sure Ani will bring his ID entry as well.

Ron
    Yes, I will bring my ID entry to SD. I hope Arlis gets his too. Same design, but in different implementation of enclosure. Same internal volume and tuning, but mine is 0.23" ply and his is 3/4 mdf. We can see what effect thicker and heavier cabinets have!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X