WinPCD - New tab for finding Relative Acoustic Offset

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WinPCD - New tab for finding Relative Acoustic Offset

I have a Windows 8 PC, a Vista PC, and an old XP PC. I'll try the XP first.

Comment

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
      I have a Windows 8 PC, a Vista PC, and an old XP PC. I'll try the XP first.
      I just downloaded it from my site (to ensure the same binary) and installed it successfully on my old XP SP3 machine.

As an aside, looks like I need to change the background for text, it came out gray on the XP with a blue pushbutton for the new controls.

dlr
      WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

My XP machine has been idle for a year. Make loud alarm noises and won't boot! :-)

I must head for the farmer's market with my wife. Will resume troubleshooting a bit later.

Thank you very much again for all that you do. Without the support that you, Jeff and a few others provide the rest of us, the hobby would not be nearly as much fun.

Comment

Well, I am stumped. Never got the XP laptop to boot. Time to toss it.

Installed current WinPCD on the Vista desktop and on a Windows 8 laptop and they seem to run fine, though I've not tried all functions.

WinPCD 1.301 installs and runs on this Windows 7 machine. Current version of WnPCD does not. Deleted and reinstalled .Net and same results. Current message below:

LATFORM VERSION INFO
          Windows : 6.1.7601.65536 (Win32NT)
          Common Language Runtime : 4.0.30319.1
          System.Deployment.dll : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
          clr.dll : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
          dfdll.dll : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
          dfshim.dll : 4.0.31106.0 (Main.031106-0000)

SOURCES
          Deployment url : file:///C:/Users/MJ/Desktop/WinPCD_v1.410/WinPCD.application
          Deployment Provider url : http://www.speakerdesign.net/WinPCD/...CD.application

ERROR SUMMARY
          Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
          * Activation of C:\Users\MJ\Desktop\WinPCD_v1.410\WinPCD.applicati on resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
          + Downloading http://www.speakerdesign.net/WinPCD/...CD.application did not succeed.
          + The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
          No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
          There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
          * [5/23/2015 12:02:26 PM] : Activation of C:\Users\MJ\Desktop\WinPCD_v1.410\WinPCD.applicati on has started.

ERROR DETAILS
          Following errors were detected during this operation.
          * [5/23/2015 12:02:27 PM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadEx ception (Unknown subtype)
          - Downloading http://www.speakerdesign.net/WinPCD/...CD.application did not succeed.
          - Source: System.Deployment
          - Stack trace:
          at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader. DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
          at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader. DownloadAllFiles()
          at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Downl oad(SubscriptionState subState)
          at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.Down loadManifestAsRawFile(Uri& sourceUri, String targetPath, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
          at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.Down loadDeploymentManifestDirect(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
          at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.Foll owDeploymentProviderUri(SubscriptionStore subStore, AssemblyManifest& deployment, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
          at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.Down loadDeploymentManifestBypass(SubscriptionStore subStore, Uri& sourceUri, TempFile& tempFile, SubscriptionState& subState, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options)
          at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator .PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
          at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator .ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
          --- Inner Exception ---
          System.Net.WebException
          - The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
          - Source: System
          - Stack trace:
          at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
          at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader. DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
          No transaction information is available.

Comment

I found an old query on this issue (2009) as MSDN that may work for you. I don't understand why you are the only one with this problem, though (that I'm aware of).

The response includes this:

"How exactly are end users trying to install the clickonce application? Are they going through the setup or directly clicking on the .application file? If its directly to the .application file then it should work. ClickOnce will dynamically figure out the deployment provider url based on where you are installing from. If its through setup.exe then it could fail if the url doesn't correctly point to the .application file."

I've always used the setup.exe, never even tried to install using the .application file. Which way are you installing it?

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

There's one other option I'll check into. The publish manifest can exclude the deployment provider URL. The trace shows that to be my web site, so it may be (for some unexplained reason) that the install is trying to access that in error. Why, I have not idea.

dlr

Edit:

I just tried it, it worked fine launching the .application file instead of setup.exe, so that may solve your issue.

In my case, I always copy the zip to C:/WinPCD rather install from the desktop. When you update, you uninstall first, then delete the contents before unzipping the new version intot he folder and installing it.

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Not sure. I will try via the .application file.

Comment

Dave, it works with the application file, but not with Setup! Interesting that Setup works for 1.301, but not the current version. Regardless, thank you so much for the insight. Designing this weekend!

Maynard

Comment

Thanks for letting me know, I'm glad it's working for you. This is apparently an issue in more than one way depending on how the developer chooses to deploy and/or provide updates. The oddest part is that it isn't a universal problem with this version.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Hey Dave, finally got to use this great new feature of winPCD. I needed to determine the acoustic offsets for a mid and woofer in a 3-way. Here are the results for the mid:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tweeter Mid Alignment v2.png
Views:	1
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1169468

The z offset relative to the tweeter came out to be -0.006, essentially even. Not surprising for a small mid, RS100P (tweeter is SB19 fabric dome). The Woofer z came out to -0.018. Finding the z, I was able to match the tweeter and woofer sum to the model fairly well, with the exception of a large null at 3k that the modeled sum says should be there, but my measurement says is present as a dip, but not as deep:

Name:	Tweeter Woofer Alignment v2.PNG
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1169469

But the tweeter is on a plane 15 deg from that of the woofer. So I *think* that is the reason for the difference. Anyway, because of the different planes, I had to get creative to measure the horizontal and vertical offsets. I used a sketchup model and its measuring tape tool to find the x and y offsets.

Name:	Estimation of horizontal and vert.jpg
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1169470

And thanks again Dave for this great tool!
                      Last edited by jclin4; 09-22-2015, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Ditto here John. I tried it for the first time with the data Charlie Laub posted for the Burning Amp contest, and it worked very nicely. Great job with this latest update Dave. Thanks.

Hong
                        Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
                        ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
                        LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                        Sonata Soundbar Project
                        The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

Thanks, guys, glad to see it's in use.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

I downloaded WinPCD yesterday. What a great program. Thanks Dave!
                            Craig

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                              I downloaded WinPCD yesterday. What a great program. Thanks Dave!
                              You're welcome. I hope to get time to add more functionality. Lots of ideas, not nearly enough time to do them all. The acoustic offset function was a spur-of-the-moment idea. Took more time than I expected, though, I thought I could rip it out quickly.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Hi Dave......nice tool. Been playing around with it a little. A bit different than my Lsp cad 5.25. As for minimum phase extraction........Freq. Response Modeler isn't the only avenue, I hope. If you don't have Office products that can be pricey.....is there another program that can perform this function?

best regards, John
                                If it doesn't fit right the first time, you obviously need to use a larger hammer. :p

Comment

Working...
                                X