Dayton RS150 Manufacturing/QC problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton RS150 Manufacturing/QC problem

Can you spot what's wrong with this picture? Wonder how many of these PE has in stock. I ordered two, only one came in this way. Guess the best thing to do is contact them over the phone and make them aware of the problem, and get another one coming this way. Kind of a bummer though, these two drivers matched within a couple of percent on the DATS. Don't know if I will get that lucky with the next one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150526_203057_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	1192281

Hard to believe this made it all the way through their manufacturing process without someone noticing the problem. I am not real familiar with the Casting process, are the holes part of that tooling or do they drill the holes after the parts are cast?
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Re: Dayton RS150 Manufacturing/QC problem

Just drill it out . . . how hard can that be ? ? ?
    "It suggests that there is something that is happening in the real system that is not quite captured in the models."

Comment

Originally posted by Deward Hastings View Post
      You have to be kidding.

He needs to send it back and get a matching woofer. PE will accommodate. They may even just tell him to keep that defective unit.
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

There's a hole in the wrong spot, right? Is it not drilled all the way through? Must have slipped. Maybe the QC guy jumped right before this one came through.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...1-12-hour.html

Comment

Originally posted by Deward Hastings View Post
          No doubt the driver could still be used if you didn't mind looking at one screw way out of place. I doubt I am the only one that would not consider this acceptable. It would be the first thing I saw every time I looked at the driver. If I don't contact PE and make them aware of the problem, they don't contact Dayton and make them aware of it, and Dayton could build more just like this one. Every time PE has one returned, they lose money followed by Dayton losing money when they take them back from PE. This kind of stuff gets built into the prices you and I pay for the drivers, so it's in the best interest of the community to notify them ASAP to help us all out.
          My "No-Name" CC Speaker
          Kerry's "Silverbacks"
          The Archers
          The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by djg View Post
            There's a hole in the wrong spot, right? Is it not drilled all the way through? Must have slipped. Maybe the QC guy jumped right before this one came through.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...1-12-hour.html
            Yes, the hole is off center by almost an inch.
            My "No-Name" CC Speaker
            Kerry's "Silverbacks"
            The Archers
            The Gandalf's

Comment

Simply contact PE. The problem will be solved quickly.

As far as qc, don't assume that every driver is checked. More than likely about 10% go through additional checks unless a problem is noted. Also I would bet that the new driver will be very close to your other one. The RS line is very consistent.
              https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                No doubt the driver could still be used if you didn't mind looking at one screw way out of place. I doubt I am the only one that would not consider this acceptable. It would be the first thing I saw every time I looked at the driver. If I don't contact PE and make them aware of the problem, they don't contact Dayton and make them aware of it, and Dayton could build more just like this one. Every time PE has one returned, they lose money followed by Dayton losing money when they take them back from PE. This kind of stuff gets built into the prices you and I pay for the drivers, so it's in the best interest of the community to notify them ASAP to help us all out.
                Uhhhh....
                Dayton Audio is a department of PE. It is their house brand, located at the same address.

That said- I had an M6A awhile back that came with an angled hole, and one non-drilled- on the same driver. They sent a replacement, and let me keep the uglier one.

Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Yikes, yeah that hole is way off. Funny, I didn't see that part of it right away, just that it wasn't drilled all the way through. But now that I see it's off center, I can't STOP seeing it!

I'd have to get a new one, that would drive me bonkers...

...Like it seriously bugs me when I look at Ray Alden's book "speakerbuilding 201" and see how off-center some of the drivers are mounted in his speakers... almost like however the woofer was oriented when they plopped it into the hole is how it got screwed in. Stuff like that drives me nuts. No offense to Ray Alden or his builders... he's a genius, and I'm far from perfect and so is my work, but stuff like that just stands out to me very much. Man, I need to lighten up!

TomZ
                  *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                  *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                    Uhhhh....
                    Dayton Audio is a department of PE. It is their house brand, located at the same address.

That said- I had an M6A awhile back that came with an angled hole, and one non-drilled- on the same driver. They sent a replacement, and let me keep the uglier one.

Later,
                    Wolf
                    I never knew they were associated, thanks for the insight. They are still manufacturing the parts overseas though, right?
                    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                    The Archers
                    The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                      Yikes, yeah that hole is way off. Funny, I didn't see that part of it right away, just that it wasn't drilled all the way through. But now that I see it's off center, I can't STOP seeing it!

...Like it seriously bugs me when I look at Ray Alden's book "speakerbuilding 201" and see how off-center some of the drivers are mounted in his speakers... almost like however the woofer was oriented when they plopped it into the hole is how it got screwed in. Stuff like that drives me nuts. No offense to Ray Alden or his builders... he's a genius, and I'm far from perfect and so is my work, but stuff like that just stands out to me very much. Man, I need to lighten up!

TomZ
                      I see that stuff too- It's part of the disease/CDO.

Later,
                      Wolf
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                        I never knew they were associated, thanks for the insight. They are still manufacturing the parts overseas though, right?
                        I can say: some yes, some no.
                        Later,
                        Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

You have to be kidding.

He needs to send it back and get a matching woofer. PE will accommodate. They may even just tell him to keep that defective unit.
                          I believe he was being sarcastic. Or maybe Deward was only suggesting taking DIY to the next level? :D
                          "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post

TomZ
                            We have a lot in common Tom. There is no way I could overlook this and say "it'll be alright". It's like a magnet to your eyes once you see it. When you figure out how to make yourself lighten up, please share, I could do the same. I also noticed the same thing in his book.:D
                            My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                            Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                            The Archers
                            The Gandalf's

Comment

Wow, that's a new one. Wonder how that ended up happening.
                              -Kerry

Comment

Working...
                              X