Issues downloading WinPCD. Able to download Zip files and extract, but

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues downloading WinPCD. Able to download Zip files and extract, but

But when I run Setup a connection pop up screen that communicates back to the website says cannot download the application, required files missing.

Thing is I have the version from 3 weeks ago downloaded on my desktop. So I know My windows 7 system had no conflicts then. My laptop gets the same message. My work computer the same.

Can anyone try and see what they get?

Re: Issues downloading WinPCD. Able to download Zip files and extract, but

Originally posted by Jesse055 View Post
    But when I run Setup a connection pop up screen that communicates back to the website says cannot download the application, required files missing.

Thing is I have the version from 3 weeks ago downloaded on my desktop. So I know My windows 7 system had no conflicts then. My laptop gets the same message. My work computer the same.
    You're not the first one running into an issue. I tested it on an old XP PC myself with no problem. There are similar complaints found with google. The short-term answer that worked in one case was to use the WinPCD.application file to do the install rather than the setup file. You can launch the install that way.

The project is not set up to download anything from the web. I'm not sure why this is happening. It's not universal, I've got two Win7 PCs and one XP. Neither one exhibited this issue.

dlr
    Last edited by dlr; 05-28-2015, 09:52 PM.
    WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Originally posted by dlr View Post
      The short-term answer that worked in one case was to use the WinPCD.application file to do the install rather than the setup file. You can launch the install that way.
      Yes, this approach worked for me. Give it a try.

Comment

I gave it a try and everything installed perfectly for me. I wonder what the differences may be. I just have a typical Win7 HP machine.
        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

You're not the first one running into an issue. I tested it on an old XP PC myself with no problem. There are similar complaints found with google. The short-term answer that worked in one case was to use the WinPCD.application file to do the install rather than the setup file. You can launch the install that way.

The project is not set up to download anything from the web. I'm not sure why this is happening. It's not universal, I've got two Win7 PCs and one XP. Neither one exhibited this issue.

dlr
          Yes before(3 weeks ago) after the downloading of the zip files from the website and then extracting the files, I do not recall this communication attempt back to the website when I try and run setup.exe. Isn't everything required to run downloaded and contained in the setup file.......why is it trying to connect again to the site?

That seems to be the roadblock.

Comment

David, I have 2 laptops, both running Win7 64-bit. One installed fine, the other one gave me the same error everyone experienced. I have no idea why, but ran it as an application from the folder, so it's working fine that way.

Hong
            Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
            ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
            LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
            Sonata Soundbar Project
            The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse055 View Post
              .why is it trying to connect again to the site?
              That's the $64,000 question. I don't have an answer...yet.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Originally posted by hongrn View Post
                David, I have 2 laptops, both running Win7 64-bit. One installed fine, the other one gave me the same error everyone experienced. I have no idea why, but ran it as an application from the folder, so it's working fine that way.
                One yes, one no. I'm flummoxed for now.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

dlr
                  I cant seem tonstall from application???? I can run the program but its not installed. Im stuck

Comment

????? ]I cant seem to launch the Winpcd file either to install it. what i can do is run the program but i cannot install it to my computer. Is it in the folder at the top? Named "application files? or the Winpcd file at the very bottom directly below Setup, Im stuck

Comment

You need to download the file from his site. Then extract the ZIP files to an actual folder (mine is in my Speaker Models folder in My Documents, but your choice). Then go to that folder you just created with the files, click on the first folder "Application Files", then click on "WinPCD_1_4_1_0", then click on the "WinPCD Application Icon - it's a 3,824KB file). Once you confirmed it works and starts the program. I suggest you right-click and drag that file to you desktop (or wherever, reference first sentence) and create a "shortcut". You will know have a "Virtual" one-click start-up to the program.
                      Paul

The "SB's" build page
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

I just did the update to 1.4.1.0 in W8.1. 7zip would not allow extraction to \Programs(x86), so I extracted to a new folder in Downloads and moved that folder to \Programs(x86). Clicked on Setup and the program loaded correctly. Go figure.

Bob

Comment

Something corrupting the download?
                          MD5 sum test?
                          "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Brines View Post
                            I just did the update to 1.4.1.0 in W8.1. 7zip would not allow extraction to \Programs(x86), so I extracted to a new folder in Downloads and moved that folder to \Programs(x86). Clicked on Setup and the program loaded correctly. Go figure.

Bob
                            I just tried your exact process and it gives me the same error as everyone else. I have only been able to get it to work with the process I went through in post#11. Glad it worked for you and a few others though and that there is a work-around. It is a very impressive program.
                            Paul

The "SB's" build page
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

Originally posted by bullittstang View Post
                              You need to download the file from his site. Then extract the ZIP files to an actual folder (mine is in my Speaker Models folder in My Documents, but your choice). Then go to that folder you just created with the files, click on the first folder "Application Files", then click on "WinPCD_1_4_1_0", then click on the "WinPCD Application Icon - it's a 3,824KB file). Once you confirmed it works and starts the program. I suggest you right-click and drag that file to you desktop (or wherever, reference first sentence) and create a "shortcut". You will know have a "Virtual" one-click start-up to the program.
                              I actually had to do this once when building and testing the "publish" output. It worked properly the next time. I have had issues with uninstalling/reinstalling. There may be MS issues with the MS uninstall process.

Originally posted by Bob Brines View Post
                              I have typically unzipped to C:/WinPCD and installed from there. On Win7 I've had issues with unzipping or copying directly into the Programs folders in Win7. Must be some kind of MS protection for the programs areas.

Some research indicates that the Setup.exe includes checks for and installation of any necessary .Net framework, in this case Net 4.0. I've been doing this in testing for more than two years now without issue until now. I wonder if something changed in updates related to the .Net framework, since MS would do this as part of any automatic updates.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Working...
                              X