Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Issues downloading WinPCD. Able to download Zip files and extract, but

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Issues downloading WinPCD. Able to download Zip files and extract, but

Originally posted by dlr View Post
    I actually had to do this once when building and testing the "publish" output. It worked properly the next time. I have had issues with uninstalling/reinstalling. There may be MS issues with the MS uninstall process.

I have typically unzipped to C:/WinPCD and installed from there. On Win7 I've had issues with unzipping or copying directly into the Programs folders in Win7. Must be some kind of MS protection for the programs areas.

Some research indicates that the Setup.exe includes checks for and installation of any necessary .Net framework, in this case Net 4.0. I've been doing this in testing for more than two years now without issue until now. I wonder if something changed in updates related to the .Net framework, since MS would do this as part of any automatic updates.

dlr
    I have no understanding of computer programming but it seems that there is something in the setup.exe that is telling the computer to download from the site instead of going into installing the unzipped files. There is a whole page of error messages when I click "details" once it fails. The little window that shows two computers communicating back and forth never had came up before when I ran setup.exe.

My work computer is fully updated with windows updates and my laptop I had just reinstalled windows and hadn't done any updates except the framework.net updates.

Has the program been downloading since the latest version was released 5/22/15?

Comment

Originally posted by bullittstang View Post
      You need to download the file from his site. Then extract the ZIP files to an actual folder (mine is in my Speaker Models folder in My Documents, but your choice). Then go to that folder you just created with the files, click on the first folder "Application Files", then click on "WinPCD_1_4_1_0", then click on the "WinPCD Application Icon - it's a 3,824KB file). Once you confirmed it works and starts the program. I suggest you right-click and drag that file to you desktop (or wherever, reference first sentence) and create a "shortcut". You will know have a "Virtual" one-click start-up to the program.

Yes I had already extracted the zipped folder. Thanks this helps.

Comment

I may have found the answer. The properties includes selecting an installer. The original was v3.1 with v4.5 as an option. 3.1 wasn't showing as available on either of my PCs, but I had not changed it. I set it to 4.5 and it installed on my desktop, which had an issue on my last attempt.

I've uploaded a new build zip file that uses the 4.5 installer. If anyone who has had an issue previously tries this one successfully, please let us know.

dlr

Edit: Looking into it further, 3.1 and 4.5 can both be "required" prerequisites to install. This is one area of Windows I don't like, there aren't clear instructions on items such as this. Seems worse that two installers could be simultaneously prerequisites, since they target different versions of Windows with overlap from what I can tell. Odd thing is that both of my PCs lack 3.1 as shown in Studio, yet I've never changed this until now.

However, I just found a link to MS that says 4.5 is the "recommended" version. Looks like 3.1 was for Win2K, but must have worked beyond that. I'm sure I never originally set it to 3.1. This could explain the hit-or-miss results for 3.1 up to now. The prerequisites are automatically downloaded if missing.

Edit 2: MS says that v5.0 should be used with Win7 and that it's provided with the OS, but 5 isn't even an option in VS2013. One would think that 5.0 would be backward compatible with older versions so that the project would install on any Win7 PC (or 8/8.1) due to backward compatibility. Otherwise a build would be needed for each OS targeted.
        WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Nice find Dave :-)

Developing software, much less distributing it, is no easy task. Thanks much for your efforts!

Comment

Originally posted by dlr View Post
            I may have found the answer. The properties includes selecting an installer. The original was v3.1 with v4.5 as an option. 3.1 wasn't showing as available on either of my PCs, but I had not changed it. I set it to 4.5 and it installed on my desktop, which had an issue on my last attempt.

I've uploaded a new build zip file that uses the 4.5 installer. If anyone who has had an issue previously tries this one successfully, please let us know.

dlr

Edit: Looking into it further, 3.1 and 4.5 can both be "required" prerequisites to install. This is one area of Windows I don't like, there aren't clear instructions on items such as this. Seems worse that two installers could be simultaneously prerequisites, since they target different versions of Windows with overlap from what I can tell. Odd thing is that both of my PCs lack 3.1 as shown in Studio, yet I've never changed this until now.

However, I just found a link to MS that says 4.5 is the "recommended" version. Looks like 3.1 was for Win2K, but must have worked beyond that. I'm sure I never originally set it to 3.1. This could explain the hit-or-miss results for 3.1 up to now. The prerequisites are automatically downloaded if missing.

Edit 2: MS says that v5.0 should be used with Win7 and that it's provided with the OS, but 5 isn't even an option in VS2013. One would think that 5.0 would be backward compatible with older versions so that the project would install on any Win7 PC (or 8/8.1) due to backward compatibility. Otherwise a build would be needed for each OS targeted.
            I tried again and same result. Unable to install. I downloaded the files again and unzipped them.

Comment

Just to rule out as much as we can, you have uninstalled the previous version before trying to install this new one, correct?

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

[QUOTE=dlr;2066339]Just to rule out as much as we can, you have uninstalled the previous version before trying to install this new one, correct?

Today the computer that I tried to install on did have a successfully loaded winpcd version 1.403 as I'm reluctant to erase my working version. but I did erase all the zipped and unzipped files/folders of the last version 1.410.

On my laptop, that is the computer that has a fresh hard drive and a fresh factory install from a recovery DVD, I do not have the program or any folders/files. I will also try it on that computer since it is clean......in many ways.

Comment

If anyone is still having this issue (like me: Windows 10), I solved it by editing the WinPCD.application XML file and changing the deploymentProvider tag's codebase to equal the current directory. So for me, I changed it from:
                  <deploymentProvider codebase="http://www.speakerdesign.net/WinPCD/installation/WinPCD.application" /> (Original value)

To:
                  <deploymentProvider codebase="c:/WinPCD/WinPCD.application" />(Where I unzipped the files)

Comment

Originally posted by bertmoog View Post
                    If anyone is still having this issue (like me: Windows 10), I solved it by editing the WinPCD.application XML file and changing the deploymentProvider tag's codebase to equal the current directory. So for me, I changed it from:
                    <deploymentProvider codebase="http://www.speakerdesign.net/WinPCD/installation/WinPCD.application" /> (Original value)

To:
                    <deploymentProvider codebase="c:/WinPCD/WinPCD.application" />(Where I unzipped the files)
                    Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into that.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Working...
                    X