Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mundorf Caps

Hi,
    I have some crossovers in some really nice speakers I built, and I decided to try some Mundorf caps in the tweeter section of the crossover. I have to admit, the Mundorf caps sound really awesome. They even made the bass in my speakers sound better, which just kind of blows my mind as far as the logic involved in explaining this.

I have decided to build some new crossovers, because I wanted to take a crack at designing them myself, and I also decided to use Dayton caps when I built them, because I don't really like the idea of spending 200 bucks a pop for capacitors.

I have not heard my new crossovers yet, so this is all speculation, but does anybody think that the sound from the Mundorf caps is just sort of a gimmick, and that a good poly cap in a well like the Dayton in a well designed crossover can give me just as much satisfaction as the Mundorf?

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Mundorf Caps

yes

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
      yes
      Sometimes the greatest wisdom and diplomacy uses the fewest words.
      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Cool!

I'll look forward to trying out my new crossovers!

Comment

Originally posted by chrislittle View Post
          Cool!

I'll look forward to trying out my new crossovers!
          I will disagree. upgraded to some top of the line Mundorf caps in an mtm system I have and it made an instant, noticeable improvement. no an improvement that you have to sit in a quite, dark room to hear. people can say what they want, I have listened to these speakers for several years and know them very well. the cap made the music more realistic is all i can tell you.
          craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
            I will disagree. upgraded to some top of the line Mundorf caps in an mtm system I have and it made an instant, noticeable improvement. no an improvement that you have to sit in a quite, dark room to hear. people can say what they want, I have listened to these speakers for several years and know them very well. the cap made the music more realistic is all i can tell you.
            I know the experience you are talking about, but can you get it in any other way? A cheaper way preferably!

Comment

If you haven't tried the Audyn, do. They're very nice.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

If you haven't tried the Audyn, do. They're very nice.
                Yes, they are not terribly big too!

I might swap some of these out with my daytons after I have had an audition.

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                  I know what happens with capacitor threads here, they become one notch removed from global warming treads, but I think we should explore the implications here. I am not going to take a position that changing capacitors won't change the sound. In fact, for this discussion I won't take any position at all. However, I would like to apply some logic to what you said and think it through a little. Since a capacitor is something passive that is placed in the signal path, it would be impossible for it to add quality to the signal, rather it would have to be something where a better capacitor subtracts less away from the signal. Would you agree? Following this logic, I can see where certain materials with better conductivity and less degradation over time (like gold) might offer better performance. I can also see where caps made with thick, more inert dielectrics will that have less signal leakage and losses and may be potentially better too. However, if this is the case then it may also imply that crossovers with fewer "lossy" passive components should theoretically sound better too. Thoughts?
                  Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Dayton and Mundorf caps do not sound the same IME, but IMO, Mundorf is not worth the money they charge and Dayton are nothing special either. I prefer Madisound's 60 cent buyout caps to Dayton... :o
                    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
                      Dayton and Mundorf caps do not sound the same IME, but IMO, Mundorf is not worth the money they charge and Dayton are nothing special either. I prefer Madisound's 60 cent buyout caps to Dayton... :o
                      Are those madi caps really "buyout"? I mean, it seems they have a never-ending supply lol.
                      Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
                      Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Originally posted by JasonP View Post
                        Are those madi caps really "buyout"? I mean, it seems they have a never-ending supply lol.
                        I was led to understand they had an entire Gaylord (or more) of them. That would potentially equal tens of thousands.
                        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                          I was led to understand they had an entire Gaylord (or more) of them. That would potentially equal tens of thousands.
                          I only found 2 surplus caps on madisound??

Comment

Agreed, Jeff. The better parts are just 'less lossy', and don't degrade the signal as much.

I also really like the Audyn Q4 caps. Best bang/$ out there. I don't really care for the Dayton caps, but they are fine in cheaper systems.
                            The good parts don't have to be expensive either.

Later,
                            Wolf
                            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                              I know what happens with capacitor threads here, they become one notch removed from global warming treads, but I think we should explore the implications here. I am not going to take a position that changing capacitors won't change the sound. In fact, for this discussion I won't take any position at all. However, I would like to apply some logic to what you said and think it through a little. Since a capacitor is something passive that is placed in the signal path, it would be impossible for it to add quality to the signal, rather it would have to be something where a better capacitor subtracts less away from the signal. Would you agree? Following this logic, I can see where certain materials with better conductivity and less degradation over time (like gold) might offer better performance. I can also see where caps made with thick, more inert dielectrics will that have less signal leakage and losses and may be potentially better too. However, if this is the case then it may also imply that crossovers with fewer "lossy" passive components should theoretically sound better too. Thoughts?
                              Along those lines, the biggest effects to me will be for small signals and near the zero crossing. Hysteresis losses/distortion occur as the potential across the dielectric changes direction which could result in loss of details especially during low level listening. Same holds true for iron core inductors.
                              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Working...
                              X