Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

The Chorales - An Usher / Vifa Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Chorales - An Usher / Vifa Project

Hong, is there impedance matching built into your crossover or is it not necessary? I'm trying to piece together crossovers little by little and always thought it consisted of a resistor or two before the driver. I thought the xt25 sensitivity was higher than the Usher so it would need some sort of compensation.

Comment

Originally posted by Deepstage View Post
      Hong, is there impedance matching built into your crossover or is it not necessary? I'm trying to piece together crossovers little by little and always thought it consisted of a resistor or two before the driver. I thought the xt25 sensitivity was higher than the Usher so it would need some sort of compensation.
      My advice to you is to strictly follow proven methods that have been established by people like Jeff B., dlr and Charlie Laub. Going on your own and "trying to piece together" a crossover is going to give you nothing but frustration. When the crossover point is optimal, FR, phase and impedance will come together with great results, but all those things start with good data. You need to have a good handle on driver measurements before you can proceed, before you can discuss impedance and sensitivity matching.

Hong
      Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
      ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
      LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
      Sonata Soundbar Project
      The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

Hong, would you mind sharing your crossover with me? I'm not sure what you're using for your Erse .8 I-core as they don't have one. Did you unwind the 1.0 to get the .8? Could I use an air core 0.8 inductor or is the I core one in the notch for a purpose?
        I know the dc resistance is important so I want to follow what you did.

Also, I don't recognize some of your capacitors. I can see it looks like you doubled up a couple 20uF Dayton 250V for the 40. Can I use the same capacitors everywhere else or is there a reason for using the different brands and 600v caps elsewhere? I know I've read about using certain caps in certain situations.

I fully understand the layout and wiring of the components and I already have some of the components. I have the resistors already and some of the inductors along with the 20uF caps.

I think our designs are so similar, I could easily reduce my box volume to yours and try your crossovers for a starting point. If I love them, then I'm on to another build, if not, I'll have fun tinkering and learning.

Thanks for your help!

Paul

PS, your inbox was full so I posted here. Hope you don't mind. PM me if you would like.

Comment

Please see my responses below, and good luck. Make sure you post your listening impressions. Thanks.

Originally posted by Deepstage View Post
          Hong, would you mind sharing your crossover with me? I'm not sure what you're using for your Erse .8 I-core as they don't have one. Did you unwind the 1.0 to get the .8? Could I use an air core 0.8 inductor or is the I core one in the notch for a purpose?
          I know the dc resistance is important so I want to follow what you did.

Get the Erse 1.0mH I-Core and unwind to get 0.8mH. You may need to get a LCR meter to do this. And you're right, I didn't use an air core inductor there because of the high DCR.

Also, I don't recognize some of your capacitors. I can see it looks like you doubled up a couple 20uF Dayton 250V for the 40. Can I use the same capacitors everywhere else or is there a reason for using the different brands and 600v caps elsewhere? I know I've read about using certain caps in certain situations.

Yes, you can double them up to get the value you need. Or you can get this one from PE:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...citor--027-442

I fully understand the layout and wiring of the components and I already have some of the components. I have the resistors already and some of the inductors along with the 20uF caps.

I think our designs are so similar, I could easily reduce my box volume to yours and try your crossovers for a starting point. If I love them, then I'm on to another build, if not, I'll have fun tinkering and learning.

Thanks for your help!

Paul

PS, your inbox was full so I posted here. Hope you don't mind. PM me if you would like.

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
          Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

Just a quick update. After sealing with 1/2 wood glue and 1/2 water, I gave the cabs a couple of coats of Rustoleum sandable primer, and wet-sanded with 1,200 paper. The surface came out smoother than a baby's bottom. I think they'll be ready for a paint job in the next few days.
            Attached Files

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
            Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

Hong, at 1200 grit, the paint might not stick well or could have a lot of runs. I don't usually go over 600 before top coat to prevent this
              -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
                Hong, at 1200 grit, the paint might not stick well or could have a lot of runs. I don't usually go over 600 before top coat to prevent this
                Thanks for the tip Kerry. I'm still learning the paint process. However, the Tempo boombox seems to be doing OK with the 1,200 grit sand job, but I'll redo it with 600 to be sure.
                Attached Files

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

Wow the tempos came out very nice Hong! Let me know if you need to borrow my electric buffer since you're on a painting frenzy

Comment

Originally posted by kbzx35 View Post
                    Wow the tempos came out very nice Hong! Let me know if you need to borrow my electric buffer since you're on a painting frenzy
                    Thanks Shawn. Please drop off the electric buffer along with the SS woofers so I don't have to stop the painting frenzy.

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                    Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

Originally posted by hongrn View Post
                      Thanks for the tip Kerry. I'm still learning the paint process. However, the Tempo boombox seems to be doing OK with the 1,200 grit sand job, but I'll redo it with 600 to be sure.
                      That looks like it turned out fine so you might not need to worry. I've personally sprayed after 800 grit and had more issues with runs on vertically oriented pieces so I top out on the primer at 600 now.
                      -Kerry

Comment

You have a good point. On a small project like the Tempo, it might not matter, but on a larger cab like the Chorales, that may be an issue. Thanks Kerry.

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
                        That looks like it turned out fine so you might not need to worry. I've personally sprayed after 800 grit and had more issues with runs on vertically oriented pieces so I top out on the primer at 600 now.

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                        Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

Almost there. On this project, I learned how to paint, not perfectly, but to come up with a decent product using rattle cans. They ain't going to look like Steve's Candy Kairos, but from 4 feet away and after a few beers, they look perfecto. Well, another thing I tried was the 3M Dinoc. After the third panel, I finally got it. Wrapping around round corners was pretty difficult at first, but once I figured out how much heat to apply on the material, it was a joy to use. Perfect material for challenged people like me.
                          Attached Files

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                          Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

Pretty cool look you got there.
                            Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                            DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                            Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

They look mighty good to me and I didn't have to drink any alcoholic beverages to determine that!
                              Paul

Originally posted by hongrn View Post
                              Almost there. On this project, I learned how to paint, not perfectly, but to come up with a decent product using rattle cans. They ain't going to look like Steve's Candy Kairos, but from 4 feet away and after a few beers, they look perfecto. Well, another thing I tried was the 3M Dinoc. After the third panel, I finally got it. Wrapping around round corners was pretty difficult at first, but once I figured out how much heat to apply on the material, it was a joy to use. Perfect material for challenged people like me.

Comment

Very nice! I love the way the Chorales have turned out.

Comment

Working...
                                X