The Chorales - An Usher / Vifa Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Chorales - An Usher / Vifa Project

Looks great. Was gonna do this exact project but never did!

Comment

Your getting to be quite the wiz at this.
      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Now, do you ever wonder why I call you all the time? Knowledge transfer by osmosis my friend.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        Your getting to be quite the wiz at this.
        Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
        ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
        LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
        Sonata Soundbar Project
        The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

Dude.... Banging. It. Out.

I didn't even have to have to give you time saving hints, like using spare cardboard boxes, or skipping glue for nylon straps... ;-) Amazing.

Comment

You forgot to disclose the amount of time it takes the wood panels to fuse together once the straps are applied, or when the cardboard box will turn to wood.

Originally posted by jonpike View Post
            Dude.... Banging. It. Out.

I didn't even have to have to give you time saving hints, like using spare cardboard boxes, or skipping glue for nylon straps... ;-) Amazing.

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
            Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

I think I'm done with the simming, so time to build this crossover. I'm just waiting for a couple of P-Core inductors to be delivered to finish up this project, and the hard part to come is the cab finish, at which I royally suck. Here's a couple of pics of the sim diagrams, so please feel free to comment. I also appreciate suggestions from many of you on the forum. Thanks.

Hong
              Attached Files

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
              Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

Originally posted by hongrn View Post
                I don't have any clarity across my own personal spectrum of interdependent dynamics within myself at all.
                Lol.

Seriously, nice project!

Comment

Hong, curious as to the freq are you crossing these drivers at ?
                  craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Glad you noticed that Craig. I'm having a hard time pushing the crossover point higher with this tweeter. I'm still working on it, because I don't think the XT25 will sound good the way it is. Will update this in a few days.

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                    Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

More to Day 6.

Pic 1 - Impedance sweep of the woofer in box to confirm tuning frequency,
                      Pic 2 - Far field in box measurement of woofer.
                      Pic 3 - Near field in box measurement of woofer.
                      Pic 4 - Far field in box measurement of tweeter.

The FRD Response Blender is just a great piece of software, and makes blending NF and FF measurements an easy and straight forward task.
                      Have you ever considered using the far field measurements without splicing on the near field?

Comment

Originally posted by rpb View Post
                        Have you ever considered using the far field measurements without splicing on the near field?
                        Thanks for the suggestion rpb. Here's the latest sim. I like the crossover point better, but the phase tracking sucks, so I'll have to work on that. What do you think Craig?
                        Attached Files

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                        Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion rpb. Here's the latest sim. I like the crossover point better, but the phase tracking sucks, so I'll have to work on that. What do you think Craig?
                          I really like your cabinet design. Your driver selection gives your project great potential. Good work so far.

Having worked with this tweeter(as quite a few here probably have), here are a few thoughts.

1. I would definitely use a trap on the tweeter resonance. Push the xover point up to 2500 or steepen the slope. As is, it has a good chance of sounding nasally, and the hump at 900hz won't help either.

2. It doesn't look like you have compensated for baffle step loss. I would use the far field woofer response and shoot for the overall response to be where it is at 150hz. Unless you are going to place these right up against the wall, the sensitivity should probably end up in the low 80s.

3. Try shooting for a 3rd order slope on the woofer and a 4th order on the tweeter(your almost there on both counts), that should go a long way to closing the gap on the phase alignment.

Some of these are just my preference some are general ROTs, hope it helps.

Great start!!
                          Chris

Goofing around since 2000.

Comment

much better. i also agree with the idea of pushing the tweeter up just a little more if possible and using a trap. this is going to be a great design though. some really great drivers for the money.
                            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Chris, Craig, thanks for the help. My brain is kinda fried right now, so I'll take a break, but I'll get on this again tomorrow. Greatly appreciate your suggestions.

LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                              Sonata Soundbar Project

Comment

Chris, Craig, thanks for the help. My brain is kinda fried right now, so I'll take a break, but I'll get on this again tomorrow. Greatly appreciate your suggestions.
                                breaks are good. you have a pm.
                                craigk

Comment

Working...
                                X