• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Chorales - An Usher / Vifa Project

Originally posted by Beau View Post
    Johnny,

Yes, yes we did. I am savoring them.

You are now my brother.

Don't Try to Drag Me Down (see what I did there?)
    Ha. I thought you'd get them. We must be a pair of sick boys. They should throw us in the ring of fire. Maybe we'll get sentenced from 99 to life.
    Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
    Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
    Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
    Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
    Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

That's the Story of My Life.

I guess I have Bad Luck.
      Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

So I drove around Placentia all day Saturday hoping to hear these things going. No luck. :-)

Comment

You didn't see the house with the grey roof and green front lawn, and Rush music pumping out of the garage last Saturday???
          Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
          ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
          LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
          Sonata Soundbar Project
          The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

And boy did the music coming out of the garage sound good!! Thanks for having us over Hong! The Chorales were amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by hongrn View Post
              You didn't see the house with the grey roof and green front lawn, and Rush music pumping out of the garage last Saturday???
              No, darn it. But I was hoping a friendly bump of this thread would be rewarded with many wonderful listening impressions and or updates. :o

Comment

You spray painted your front yard?!?!?!?!?
                " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                  It takes more money to keep the lawn green out there than to build speakers! :eek: My son is tempted to plant astro turf.

Comment

What's wrong with my choice of color???

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                    Attached Files
                    Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
                    ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
                    LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
                    Sonata Soundbar Project
                    The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

What's wrong with my choice of color???
                      Nothing
                      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

I'm glad I found this thread. I started a very similar build a month ago. The box building is the easy part. I was eager to put something together so I went with a .75 ft3 box. My drivers are also 5.75 center to center, flush with the baffle.

I'm struggling with the design from here on out. I have a 2" precision port installed on the back about 8" right now. I left it a little long as from what I've figured it will end up in the 7" range somewhere.

I was figuring on a crossover point of 2400 for no other reason than it was in the middle of many of the suggestions I have read elsewhere.

I recently bought an XMC-1 and the mic it comes with for Dirac measurements I don't believe will work for creating frd files. I have downloaded REW, PCD and WinPCD. I've taken some measurements but the response falls off quite a bit as the frequency increases. I'm sure due to a mic with no proper calibration file. I have a UMM-6 from PE coming tomorrow so I'll try some measurements with that and see if I get better results.

I'm really confused on what distance to take the measurements from to create the frd files. I have a DATS V2 that I've already used for the zma files. How exactly should one set up the measurements to be used for WinPCD? from listening position, close to the drivers, etc? How do you interpret the graphs if the levels of both drivers are different? Should I use the same output for testing both drivers?

I have many questions. I'm shooting for results very similar to Homgrn's. I realize my box volume and dimension are a bit different so it's not apples to apples. But I really enjoyed reading this thread and hope to get on track to a successful build.

Here's a picture of the drivers mounted in the box. The speakers behind it I built almost 20 years ago with Peerless drivers and leap designed crossover from Meniscus. They sound nice but I'm looking for something more musical and I've learned a lot more since that. It's a great hobby which keeps my mind busy most of the day

PS, any help would be greatly appreciated. This all started when I heard a pair of Sonus Faber olympica's a few months ago and was astounded by the sound. I have no friends in this hobby and have heard very few really nice speakers to make comparisons. Building them is part of the fun. I'm pretty new to any audio forums so if you think I should start a new build thread to get more traffic, please don't be afraid to set me straight. I just thought there is so much good information and advice from well known people in this thread, it couldn't hurt to start here. Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	1167803

Comment

Originally posted by Deepstage View Post
                          I'm glad I found this thread. I started a very similar build a month ago. The box building is the easy part. I was eager to put something together so I went with a .75 ft3 box. My drivers are also 5.75 center to center, flush with the baffle.

I'm struggling with the design from here on out. I have a 2" precision port installed on the back about 8" right now. I left it a little long as from what I've figured it will end up in the 7" range somewhere.

I was figuring on a crossover point of 2400 for no other reason than it was in the middle of many of the suggestions I have read elsewhere.

I recently bought an XMC-1 and the mic it comes with for Dirac measurements I don't believe will work for creating frd files. I have downloaded REW, PCD and WinPCD. I've taken some measurements but the response falls off quite a bit as the frequency increases. I'm sure due to a mic with no proper calibration file. I have a UMM-6 from PE coming tomorrow so I'll try some measurements with that and see if I get better results.

I'm really confused on what distance to take the measurements from to create the frd files. I have a DATS V2 that I've already used for the zma files. How exactly should one set up the measurements to be used for WinPCD? from listening position, close to the drivers, etc? How do you interpret the graphs if the levels of both drivers are different? Should I use the same output for testing both drivers?

I have many questions. I'm shooting for results very similar to Homgrn's. I realize my box volume and dimension are a bit different so it's not apples to apples. But I really enjoyed reading this thread and hope to get on track to a successful build.

Here's a picture of the drivers mounted in the box. The speakers behind it I built almost 20 years ago with Peerless drivers and leap designed crossover from Meniscus. They sound nice but I'm looking for something more musical and I've learned a lot more since that. It's a great hobby which keeps my mind busy most of the day

PS, any help would be greatly appreciated. This all started when I heard a pair of Sonus Faber olympica's a few months ago and was astounded by the sound. I have no friends in this hobby and have heard very few really nice speakers to make comparisons. Building them is part of the fun. I'm pretty new to any audio forums so if you think I should start a new build thread to get more traffic, please don't be afraid to set me straight. I just thought there is so much good information and advice from well known people in this thread, it couldn't hurt to start here. [ATTACH=CONFIG]59375[/ATTACH]
                          Generally you just measure from an arbitrary distance. Because of limitations due to reflections in a room, most measure from about 3 to 4 feet. Leave the spl of the amp the same for both drivers. If you want to start a new thread, I'll be glad to help you, as will others. You might want to look into a measuring system called HOLM. It's easy to use, and free. PCD is a great tool, and I really enjoy using it. For my own speakers, I go old school (mostly), and do trial and error x-overs. It's more work, but more fun. You need to have lots of parts on hand though.

Comment

If you have the same drivers (it looks like it) as Hong, I'd try his crossover, the baffles aren't that different. I usually measure 3-4 feet out, but also take measurements from other angles and distances, and plug those in to pcd as well.

There is a car dealer around here that paints his lawn green for st patricks day every year. It stands out.

Comment

Thank you. I will be playing around with some measurements tomorrow when the new mic arrives and I'll see if it's more usable. I'll create a new post also and try to give as much info as I can about my setup. Can't wait to get home from work tomorrow and start tinkering.

Comment

I started a new thread, as well as modified the speakers for biwire capability, but mainly to aid in testing each driver and modifying the crossovers once built to avoid taking the speakers apart dozens of times. Plus I thought it would be kinda cool to make enclosures for the speakers that the speakers can sit on. Sort of a go-between from stand to speaker. But I'm getting ahead of myself,,,,,,,,,,,,,insert horse then cart

Comment

Working...
                                X