How loud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How loud?

How loud do you listen at home? Do you ever use an SPL meter to check at your listening position?

And what about live concerts, ever check them with a smart-phone app, and what kind of #'s are you seeing at your seat?

I was playing with the SPL meter in Audio Tools (for an iPhone) this morning and was peaking around 98 or 99 db at about 8-9 feet (my normal listening position). I consider this quite loud, wouldn't normally listen that loud and wouldn't want it any louder.

I know some of you are heavy metal listeners, I'm wondering if you prefer your music extra loud?

Re: How loud?

I haven't tried an SPL meter, but looking and comparing to various dB SPL example charts like here: http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answer...specifications, I listen somewhere between 75dB and 90dB, 80dB typical. I wear earplugs at live concerts, to save my ears and because it flat out hurts without them, but I haven't measured there, either.
    Francis

Comment

In my house with my Radio Shack meter anything above 89db is very loud! Normally I'm comfy with the loudest sounds at 85db. Mark

Comment

Normal TV is 55-65db but with a good Movie it goes up to 65-75db but when the tunes come in the db is usually higher at 65-90dbs. I find that the back ground noise has a lot to do with it. If its real quiet in the back ground music can sound great at 60-70dbs. The movies sound or feel even louder when the bass shakers are going strong.
        ‘There are none so blind as those who will not see.’

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
          And what about live concerts, ever check them ...
          I have files full of them from when I was the dB cop at a major venue. They range from the low 90s for acts like the Boston Pops and Tony Bennett to approaching 120dB with the Scorpions and David Lee Roth, until I made them take it back down to the 115dB maximum allowable by the town. 100 to 110dB is average, measured 125 feet from the stage, although there's not that much difference with respect to distance, as modern line arrays allow for power shading that keeps levels pretty uniform out to at least 200 feet.
          www.billfitzmaurice.com
          www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Bill,

Is that A-weighted or C-weighted? Just curious because it can be 10-15 dB different depending on the music type.

Marc

Comment

The other day I was listening at about 105-110 dB AVERAGE SPL on the couch (16 feet from the speakers). Granted, it was with hearing protection on, just trying to test out some new speakers. The kicker is that I ran out of amplifier as the speakers still had more to give.

Normally, I listen somewhere in the 70-80 dB range. Sometimes I like to push into the mid 80's, but the wife complains.

Comment

Originally posted by msibilia View Post
                Bill,
                Is that A-weighted or C-weighted? Just curious because it can be 10-15 dB different depending on the music type.
                C weighted. I also took A weighted, they tended to be 10dB lower.
                www.billfitzmaurice.com
                www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Was a bit disappointed that the last Tower of Power concert wasn't as loud as I listen at home.

Comment

I usually listen in the mid 70s and occasionally a little higher.

Comment

depends on how much i've had to drink ... i like it loud !!! but but have never measured ...
                      Paper Towers
                      RS180P/28F surrounds
                      Boombox

Comment

I listen to a range of volumes depending on the situation, If there are others in the house I am probably in the 75-80 dB range, but I prefer to listen at around 80 - 85 dB when I really sit down and I can get away with it. Sometimes I rock it a little and it probably gets into the mid 90's for little bit.

I don't know exactly how loud it got when I was cranking Money For Nothing over the David towers and the amp's meters were peaking. Maybe Wolf has an idea. Oh, that's right. He ran from the room. :D (For a short time there, it was on par with a live concert in my family room).
                        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
                          How loud do you listen at home?
                          Nominal low to mid 80's
                          And what about live concerts, ever check them with a smart-phone app, and what kind of #'s are you seeing at your seat?
                          At the mix board in the low 90's for cover bands at fairs.
                          "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                          “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                          "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Depends on the selection.

Vocal music is usually mid 80s.

Something like Tool or Rammstein usually peaks at around 105. Those type of listening sessions usually last only a couple of selections before the volume knob gets turned back down. Some music is meant to be felt and not just heard.
                            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Usually 75-85db with my A weighted spl meter, and occasionally 90-100, for a few songs. I listen to a lot of metal, and I wouldn't say I necessarily listen to it too much louder than other types of music. I try to stand by the mixing console at concerts. I've only worn ear plugs once, at a scorpions concert.

Comment

Working...
                              X