The Tarkus wannabes debuted at Dakota DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tarkus wannabes debuted at Dakota DIY

First of all, my apologies for the design with the NLA woofers. I have a hunch there are still a few of these laying around out there somewhere though. Also, my apologies for the blatant Tarkus design rip-off. This project never really took off until I decided to go that route, and imitation is really the sincerest form of flattery.

NAME
    I referred to these as the curse of Charlie Brown for quite a long time. After they were nearly finished I got over that phase and started to consider Tarkettes as a name. But since I had already plagiarized the design I soured on butchering the name as well. So if this clears the unofficial DIY naming clearinghouse, I intended to christen these The Relayers, after that outstanding 1970's Yes album that hijacked so many 40-minute chunks of my time back then.

DRIVERS
    This design uses:
    Tweeter - Dayton RS28F-4
    Midrange - Tang Band W4-1320SJ (neo)
    Woofer - Usher 8137A

Click image for larger version

Name:	DayTBUsh_C1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	1192389Click image for larger version

Name:	DayTBUsh_C3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	1192390

DESIGN
    These originally were going to be a regular tower design. Ho-hum. Once I got the thought in my head for the 2-piece format, then progress finally took off. Much of the original crossover simulation work was done with lots of help from this board. I suppose those old threads are available in the archives. Thanks again to everyone who chipped in back then.

FINISHClick image for larger version

Name:	DayTBUsh_C5.jpg
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	1192391Click image for larger version

Name:	DayTBUsh_C6.jpg
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	1192392

SOUND
    I'm Happy.

Re: The Tarkus wannabes debuted at Dakota DIY

Since I have them, here are a couple more shots.

Name:	DayTBUsh_C2.jpg
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	1167028Click image for larger version

Name:	DayTBUsh_C7.jpg
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	1167029

Comment

Dude, I like them! Besides JRs Blue towers, these are some cool looking speakers! ..."Tarkus" design rip off or not, nice job.
      A mains
      The Ventures
      Open Invit8tions
      RSR
      Sound Troopers
      Acorns
      DGBG's
      The Monuments

Comment

Rich, you did a great job on these. Drivers were very well integrated and offered some serious slam on the low end.
        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I really liked these. Excellent sound and very innovative craftsmanship. The bamboo mids are extremely nice.

Well done! :applause:

Jim

Comment

Thanks for the kudos guys. It is greatly appreciated. Jim and JR, I really enjoyed your designs as well.

Comment

Nice driver choices. Nice save on the finish, too!
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
              Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Speakers so good that I'm thinking of a similar build.
                Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

These were my favorites of the day. Great sound top to bottom.

Ron
                  C-Note Iron Driver Build
                  The Lydias
                  The Cherry π's
                  The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
                  My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

As you say 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery' and inspiration can come from anything anywhere. My Storm Troopers are a combination of Dan N's Echelons and a design idea taken from a speaker I saw 40 years ago that's been percolating in the back of my mind since.

Never apologize for inspiration but always give credit where credit is due! Yours is a terrific design and I wish I could have heard it.....in fact, it's given me another idea for my next design! Here's a pic of the ST's.

Marty

Name:	Storm Troopers.jpg
Size:	504.7 KB
ID:	1167051

Comment

I like the look of your STs. I'm going to try to make it to Iowa this year and wondering if you're coming and will be bringing these?
                      Paul

Originally posted by martyh View Post
                      As you say 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery' and inspiration can come from anything anywhere. My Storm Troopers are a combination of Dan N's Echelons and a design idea taken from a speaker I saw 40 years ago that's been percolating in the back of my mind since.

Never apologize for inspiration but always give credit where credit is due! Yours is a terrific design and I wish I could have heard it.....in fact, it's given me another idea for my next design! Here's a pic of the ST's.

Marty

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58189[/ATTACH]

Comment

I believe they were there last year, Paul.
                        Cheesehead doesn't typically bring a project more than once.

Later,
                        Wolf
                        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                          I like the look of your STs. I'm going to try to make it to Iowa this year and wondering if you're coming and will be bringing these?
                          Paul
                          As Wolf said, we were treated to the Storm Troopers last year. They were super! I intend to bring the Relayers to Grinnell, after some encouragement by Bryan K.

Comment

I thought these were the top pair as well. Unique finish, I love the "purple hue" and these hit a low frequency that I felt but didn't necessarily hear. So I thought they dug the deepest of the bunch and it impressed me.
                            My Build Thread's
                            Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Originally posted by turn2 View Post
                              As Wolf said, we were treated to the Storm Troopers last year. They were super! I intend to bring the Relayers to Grinnell, after some encouragement by Bryan K.
                              Thank you for the kind words. I have to admit that in that setting they vastly surpassed my expectations, but I believe much of the credit goes to the way Bryan and JR set up that wonderful hall. Junior is right though, I've never brought the same design twice and honestly with as crazy as my life has become in the past four months I doubt I'll have a project ready for 'The Big One' in October. If we make it there at all this year it may be with the ST's.

And I apologize for the thread hijack.

Comment

Working...
                              X