Center Channel for Solstice?>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Center Channel for Solstice?>

I am interested in building a center channel to go with the Solstice Mains I just built. I was interested in one with a Ribbon/Planer Tweeter and similar Morel woofers in an WMTMW 2.5 way. Does anyone have any ideas? Is a Ribbon better for the vocals in a center channel or do I need to match what is used in the L/R Mains?

Re: Center Channel for Solstice?>

Better off matching them. If it were me- I'd think the xover wouldn't need changed much from the original. I would place the tweeter the same distance from the top edge as in the tower, and run them in an MTM.

But- Jeff would be the authority on the idea.
    Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

The Solstice drivers and crossover will work fine in a center channel MTM.
      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

It depends on the ribbon. With a MTM you really need a lower crossover point and closer driver spacing will help as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
          The Solstice drivers and crossover will work fine in a center channel MTM.
          Jeff - will the 1.6 cu/ft Knock Down Work?

Comment

Originally posted by troy.starheim View Post
            Jeff - will the 1.6 cu/ft Knock Down Work?
            Yes, that would work OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
              Yes, that would work OK.
              Jeff - one more question, will it work as a sealed enclosure? Bye the way, the Solstice speakers are REALLY NICE! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by troy.starheim View Post
                Jeff - one more question, will it work as a sealed enclosure? Bye the way, the Solstice speakers are REALLY NICE! Thanks.
                As long as you're not expecting a lot of bass extension then it will be ok.

Comment

Jeff - What would you recommend?
                  Last edited by troy.starheim; 07-01-2015, 08:56 AM.

Comment

I would like to make an center channel for my Solstice speakers as well and was to wondering what to do for the port, do I add one at each end or go with two round ports or just use the existing cabinet and just make an new front baffle to center as an MTM and keeping the Tweeter at the same height as Wolf recommend. And Jeff thank you for letting us newbies be able to make some real nice sounding speakers without any knowledge of speaker design.

Comment

I am interested in making a center channel for the Solstice speakers, as well. I am a rank novice when it come to speaker building. However, I have enjoyed the search for a DIY speaker that would work well in a HT application, and I think the Solstice L&R, are my choice. Then there remains the center channel, surrounds and height speakers for DTS: X. I read in previous posts in this thread that "the 1.6 cu ft flat pack would work." I looked around PE, and couldn't find a a 1.6 cu ft speaker cabinet to make the recommended MTM center channel. Can anyone help me on this? Also, does anyone have any ideas what DIY designs I should use for the surrounds and for the height channels? I'm a bit awash in speaker info right now, so any help would be deeply appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by telmore View Post
                        I am interested in making a center channel for the Solstice speakers, as well. I am a rank novice when it come to speaker building. However, I have enjoyed the search for a DIY speaker that would work well in a HT application, and I think the Solstice L&R, are my choice. Then there remains the center channel, surrounds and height speakers for DTS: X. I read in previous posts in this thread that "the 1.6 cu ft flat pack would work." I looked around PE, and couldn't find a a 1.6 cu ft speaker cabinet to make the recommended MTM center channel. Can anyone help me on this? Also, does anyone have any ideas what DIY designs I should use for the surrounds and for the height channels? I'm a bit awash in speaker info right now, so any help would be deeply appreciated.
                        They may be referring to the 1.16cu gt knockdown here:

http://www.parts-express.com/denovo-...inet--300-7066

I cant speak for sure, and someone please correct me if Im wrong.

Comment

Comment

So, the normal solstice has some baffle step built into xover.

Could we make a tmm center speaker not mltl but keeping to the 8.75" width with no xover changes ?

given qts = .29, Fs = 33hz, and vas = 1ft3.

2 x morel in .707 would be 12 L, even 2 woofs in .577 would need 20L for F3 near 83hz.
                            For a sealed qtc of .5, the woofs need total 1ft3 of area (88hz F3).

norman

Comment

I have a 33” x 7” x 15” deep space for a center channel. I have Solstice speakers for mains. Is the space I have big enough for a Solstice center channel?

Comment

Working...
                              X