HD Radio, does anyone use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD Radio, does anyone use it?

Would anyone with HD Radio in home or car care to comment on any advantages or disadvantages? I'm thinking of getting a new car stereo and am intrigued by HD but don't know if it's worth it or if I'll even use it. I understand that it can include title and artist info but is there any improvement in sound quality or reception range?

Re: HD Radio, does anyone use it?

Clarity is better than regular radio - that alone is worth it, though not CD quality but comparable to XM. Also, HD radio has more channels than the regular radio. I have it in my car and like it better than regular radio - same programming, better clarity. depend how much more you gotta pay for it - mine came with it as default.

Comment

I've been using an HD Radio tuner in my audio systeme for several years. I got it because my local PBS station with classical music switched to HD transmission. It works fine and sound fine. That said, I only use it for background and low-level music, and I don't care about it providing artist and title, etc.
      Paul

Originally posted by Dirttracker73 View Post
      Would anyone with HD Radio in home or car care to comment on any advantages or disadvantages? I'm thinking of getting a new car stereo and am intrigued by HD but don't know if it's worth it or if I'll even use it. I understand that it can include title and artist info but is there any improvement in sound quality or reception range?

Comment

I like HD radio in my car as it gives me a few more options. Seems like fewer commercials. A few stations jack around with the eq. with makes them sound terrible.
        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Clarity is better than regular radio - that alone is worth it, though not CD quality but comparable to XM.
          I find XM Radio quality in my area to be absolutely atrocious. It sounds like 64 kbps mp3 music to me. My truck came with free XM but I stopped listening to it after a week. Blech. There aren't any HD radio stations around here, but they do have a few in some of the cities that I frequent. SQ seems to be better than standard radio but not quite CD quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Blenton View Post
            I find XM Radio quality in my area to be absolutely atrocious. It sounds like 64 kbps mp3 music to me. My truck came with free XM but I stopped listening to it after a week. Blech. There aren't any HD radio stations around here, but they do have a few in some of the cities that I frequent. SQ seems to be better than standard radio but not quite CD quality.
            I totally agree. My truck also came with XM Radio. I listened to it during the free introduction, but gave up on it after that. They kept on lowering the subscription rates trying to entice me to sign up, but the sound quality was just too bad to do so.
            The only redeeming value was during extended drives far from urban areas without decent FM reception.
            Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
              I totally agree. My truck also came with XM Radio. I listened to it during the free introduction, but gave up on it after that. They kept on lowering the subscription rates trying to entice me to sign up, but the sound quality was just too bad to do so.
              The only redeeming value was during extended drives far from urban areas without decent FM reception.
              +1. The option to choose extra stations is nice, but I would never pay for the poor music quality.

Comment

XM is satellite radio. HD radio is broadcast radio from local radio stations. HD radio doesn't cost anything except for the tuner.

Comment

I have HD in my car and I listen to the HD channels more often then the non-HD. Better selection, usually the less "popular" music (not the same 10 songs over and over), and almost no commercials. But I have found the stations in my area tend to rotate the music genre/selections more often than normal.

In my experience with the OEM HD radio in my VW, the quality is usually better than FM and always better then XM. But it does depend on the radio station. Some are obviously broadcasting better source material than others. Some are close to CD quality, while others are clearly low bit rate digital. For AM, it is substantially clearer than normal AM.

Comment

I have not had my HD Radio on in a while (Car has been in storage with it). Around major cities; GREAT radio quality, IMO > satellite (satellite sounds very tinny to me.) Well worth the price.

I am looking at upgrading my daily driver's radio, most $100 single DIN options I have seen seem to come with HD radio, standard now.

The only con to it (worth it for the sound quality), it takes a little longer to change frequencies for it to 'lock on' to the digital signal.
                    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

Comment

I bought a JVC HD radio a couple of years ago to put in my wife's car. It wasn't long before she started complaining about it. Then I drove her car and saw why. The problem we had was the HD stations would go in and out depending on where we were driving. It would cut out completely then come back on and repeat the last few seconds of what you had just heard. It also would cut in and out sounding like a CD skipping. We don't live in the middle of nowhere, but we don't live in the city as well. I would have just turned the HD setting off, however that option was buried in the menus and would reset every time you turned the car off. It was not a savable setting. The JVC got ripped out and in its place today is an Alpine non HD stereo.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffKnob25 View Post
                        XM is satellite radio. HD radio is broadcast radio from local radio stations. HD radio doesn't cost anything except for the tuner.
                        We are aware of that.

Someone stated that XM quality and HD quality are comparable and better than regular FM. While that may be true of HD radio, it certainly is not true of XM! Like someone said: the quality of XM is atrocious.
                        Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

I installed a Kendwood head-unit with HD radio and it is very good. The sound quality is much better than XM with the exception than if you are out of range it can sound fuzzy sometimes.

Comment

Are there any home audio add on HD radio receivers? I wouldn't mind listening through my home system for back ground music. Pandora isn't bad but there's a local jazz/blues that I enjoy in the car.

Jim

Comment

Mine is a Sangean HDT-1 which I bought 3-5 years ago for the reasons I stated in Post #3. It's a tuner intended precisely for a home audio system component and works/sounds quite good IMO. Unless you can find a used one somewhere, I think they're NLA, however. I also remember Sony having something similar.
                              Paul

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
                              Are there any home audio add on HD radio receivers? I wouldn't mind listening through my home system for back ground music. Pandora isn't bad but there's a local jazz/blues that I enjoy in the car.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X