New Wave buyouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Wave buyouts

Ok, so I got a little time to work on these this weekend. Attached are some pics of the physical mods, which John already showed. I just opened up the internal divider with a 3" hole saw, then filled the rear cavity with polyfil and the front cavity with some fiberglass. I made sure to leave a clear path from the back of the woofer to the port.

XO modification to follow...

Dan
    Attached Files
    The Hurricanes
    The Baronettes
    Conneccentric
    UX3

Comment

It was a nice surprise that the buyout inductors popped up while I was messing with this mod. The whole upgrade can now be had for $17/pair as seen in the BOM below. The mod consists of swapping out 1 cap, adding 1 inductor, and adding in a cap/resistor circuit. The results are pretty good for this cost with flat FR and good phase tracking near the xo frequency, which moved up substantially to 3kHz. As John mentioned, there is a pesky hump around 1kHz, but I think it wont be too audible as shown. The components in the pic below are ones that I had on hand - the ones in the BOM will look different.
      Attached Files
      The Hurricanes
      The Baronettes
      Conneccentric
      UX3

Comment

When performing this mod, make sure you mark the tweeter terminal that the red wire is attached to. Mine did not have an identifying mark so I could only tell the polarity through measurement. Below are pics of swapping out the 10uf cap for the 3.3uf cap. Try to cut the leads so you can attach the new cap easily and still use the old one.
        Attached Files
        The Hurricanes
        The Baronettes
        Conneccentric
        UX3

Comment

Next snip the lead nearest the cup on the 4uf cap and cut the red W+ wire such that what is still connected to the PCB can reach the 4.5mH inductor lead. The other end of the inductor should be connected to the 4uf cap and the wire that continues to the positive woofer terminal. That inserts the inductor into the circuit. Then snip the red T+ wire to insert the 1uf cap and 10 ohm resistor in series. Depending on the components used, some creativity will be needed to securely mount the inductor in such a way to minimize crosstalk with the other inductor, but the cap/resistor circuit can be put right next to the tweeter if necessary.

And that's it. Re-attach the woofer and tweeter the same way they were connected. I haven't had time to listen yet, or measure distortion, but it should be much improved. BTW, this mod is optimized for the BK52s to be up on stands away from walls.

Dan
          Attached Files
          The Hurricanes
          The Baronettes
          Conneccentric
          UX3

Comment

Nice work Dan.
            John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

DanP. Would these changes apply to the 6 inch version.......I believe the tweeters are the same. Thoughts?

BobC

Comment

Originally posted by upsman View Post
                DanP. Would these changes apply to the 6 inch version.......I believe the tweeters are the same. Thoughts?

BobC
                I would think not. The nature of a series crossover is that every component affects everything else, so changing the woofer (coil) will probably change both the woofer and tweeter transfer functions.

Dan
                The Hurricanes
                The Baronettes
                Conneccentric
                UX3

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                  Nice work Dan.
                  Thanks John.
                  The Hurricanes
                  The Baronettes