Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

New Wave buyouts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Wave buyouts

Any thoughts on re-purposing the cabinets for other projects. Finished already and you cant beat the price......

BobC

Re: New Wave buyouts

I had that same thought when I picked some up at the tent sale. The box is 1/2 inch MDF with a wood veneer. With square edges the veneer and finish are pretty fragile. Inside the box is a center divider that almost creates a dual chamber reflex cabinet. The grill is solid MDF with cutouts for the tweeter and woofer. The grill guides are friction pins.

So for me, I'd have to open up the center divider with a hole saw, remake the grill or remove and fill the grill guide pins, patch the edge chips and repaint. It's a bit more work than I wanted.

The speaker itself has some potential. Cast frame woofer, 2 inch coil, vented pole piece. There's a real crossover with polyester caps. Coil is high gauge/ resistance wire. It sounds a bit hot, but that might be a simple resistor change.

It's not high on my list to measure and mess with but there a few people here than might get a kick out of this one.
    John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

These sound too good to be true. Cast frame woofers with 2" voice coils are usually not cheap and the tweeter at least looks quality from the pics.

John - did you get the 5.25" or the 6.5"? How did they sound out of the box? These would be great for a cheap 5.1 system for folks that weren't retarded about building their own speakers (like myself) and looks like they might be very nice with a few mods. Definitely going to pick up a pair - I wish I would have seen them at the tent sale.

Dan
      The Hurricanes
      The Baronettes
      Conneccentric
      UX3

Comment

Dan, here you go. Out of the box a bit to hot. Kind of cool how the grill smooths out the response. This was taken at 24 inches, blended omni mic response
        Attached Files
        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Thanks for the measurements John.

Comment

Ooh, thanks John. That tweeter level is probably a shunt resistor away from being fine, but that distortion peak at 1kHz is a little worrisome. I wonder if that could be fixed with a steeper slope on the tweeter. At any rate, they measure as good as any other $50/pr speaker and have better bones to work with. Definitely going to play with these.

Dan
            The Hurricanes
            The Baronettes
            Conneccentric
            UX3

Comment

Just ordered a pair of the 5.25"ers. I should have them by Tuesday. I'll report back in a couple weeks if anyone is interested.

Dan
              The Hurricanes
              The Baronettes
              Conneccentric
              UX3

Comment

Start modifying mine. Just discovered it has a series x-o. Tweeter is reverse polarity.
                John H

Comment

Ha! I dug into mine this weekend too! Reversing the polarity on the tweeter smooths out the response, but makes the highs even hotter. The woofer has a distortion hump near 1kHz and the tweeter distortion gets out of control starting below 3kHz.

Did you put any holes in the divider yet? Did it have any effect on the FR?

Dan
                  The Hurricanes
                  The Baronettes
                  Conneccentric
                  UX3

Comment

Yes I cut some holes and added some insulation and gasket tape. I'd say that combinations was better but I did not measure before. Maybe you could do an impedance sweep? My after is attached.
                    Attached Files
                    John H

Comment

I'll post the "before" impedance sweep tonight along with some other measurements. It will be interesting to see a couple different xo mods on these. Btw, the tweeter looks very much like the MCM $5 dome, complete with removable plastic fascia: $5 Tweeter

Dan
                      The Hurricanes
                      The Baronettes
                      Conneccentric
                      UX3

Comment

Could somebody please post pictures of the woofer, including the back?

I wonder if the 6-1/2" version has that same ~1Khz distortion peak?

Originally posted by DanP View Post
                        ...Btw, the tweeter looks very much like the MCM $5 dome, complete with removable plastic fascia: $5 Tweeter
                        What does the tweeter look like if you take the plastic faceplate off? Wonder if it would be a good fit to the $5 diysoundgroup.com waveguide?
                        "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

I can post a few pics of the woofer tonight. To make a decent x-o it's taking more parts than I want to spend.

The tweeter has an fs of about 1,000 hz
                          John H

Comment

Pics. I ditched the allen heads
                            Attached Files
                            John H

Comment

Thanks. Looks so strange, in that last picture, huh.
                              "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X