New Project: Micro PC 2.1 For Mom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project: Micro PC 2.1 For Mom

I'm building some speakers for Mom. She spends a lot of time at the computer, so this was the logical first choice. She is also still using the factory speakers in her TV in the living room, so there's another project for the list later.

This project will consist of three builds: Tom's Micro 2.1 Amp Project, Wolf's Synchaeta's, and a small, preferably efficient sub (TBD). I think this whole project will come in at under $200.00, which is not bad all things considered.

Here is a link to Tom's Amp Project for those looking for more details: http://www.parts-express.com/magalog...Zarbo_Full.pdf

IMHO, Tom did a fantastic job on the write up and I hope I am just "one of the many" that's going to give this little amp project a shot. Going to try to stay as true to his design as I can but there may be a few minor changes to cater it to my project. It's for this reason, the link above is supplied.

Here is a link to Wolf's Synchaeta's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...nimus-7-revamp

Had the opportunity to hear these first person and have to admit I was immediately drawn to them. The quality of sound coming from this tiny speaker was astounding, very rich and full sounding. To top that off, you could hold one of these in the palm of your hand, literally. Really looking forward to this build and more importantly, looking forward to my Mother's surprise when she hears these for the first time.

The Subwoofer(yet to be determined): The Synchaetas would probably do fine for desktops without a sub, but since I am using Tom's 2.1 amp project, might as well find a small sub to compliment them. I ordered a pair of these Peerless buyouts: http://www.parts-express.com/peerles...river--299-125 . I was hoping two of these in parallel would keep up with the Synchaetas, but haven't had a chance to look at it real hard yet, so let's just say these might be what I use, they might not. Another woofer I looked at was the DC160S-8. I'll try to narrow it down this week. If you guys have suggestions, feel free to plug them in, just remember this is not a power house amp, it's rated at 30 watts to the sub.
    Last edited by Kevin K.; 01-09-2017, 04:43 PM.
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    Ben's Synchaeta's for Mom
    The Archers
    Rick's "db" Desktop CBT Arrays
    The Gandalf's

Re: New Project: Micro PC 2.1 For Mom

I will be mounting the drivers to the rear of the baffle. Here are a few pics of the progress from this weekend:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150717_0010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	667.7 KB
ID:	1167498 Getting that pesky gasket off was a bit tricky. I found the easiest way for me was to peel it like an onion.

Name:	20150717_0011.jpg
Size:	843.9 KB
ID:	1167499 Here it is with the gasket removed

I used the ND25FN-4, which comes with no faceplate. Here is a pic of the mount I devised to secure the tweeter to the baffle. The tool is made out of urethane tooling board and the part is vacuum formed plastic: I placed a piece of foam between the tweeter and mount to make sure there are no resonance issues.

Name:	20150719_0012.jpg
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	1167500

Name:	20150719_0013.jpg
Size:	611.3 KB
ID:	1167501

Here's a pic of the baffle front with drivers mounted.

Name:	20150719_192159.jpg
Size:	523.8 KB
ID:	1167502
    Last edited by Kevin K.; 07-20-2015, 12:09 AM. Reason: typo
    My "No-Name" CC Speaker
    Kerry's "Silverbacks"
    The Archers
    The Gandalf's

Comment

Ordered some Nutmeg Burl Veneer last Friday, hopefully it will be here in time for next weekend.

Name:	20150717_0016.jpg
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	1167503
      My "No-Name" CC Speaker
      Kerry's "Silverbacks"
      The Archers
      The Gandalf's

Comment

Wow, impressive not only with the tweeter mounting solution but the fit and finish is top notch. Personally I think the veneer is a great choice will be subtle but still have a lot of movement to it. Keep it up, I'm subscribed!
        Paul

The "SB's" build page
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-4-(pic-heavy)

Comment

Absolutely perfect work, as usual. Are you going natural on the veneer or do you plan on using a dye/stain?
          -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
            Absolutely perfect work, as usual. Are you going natural on the veneer or do you plan on using a dye/stain?
            Thanks Kerry. Probably natural, kinda depends on how it looks to me once I have it in my hands. Did you have a certain color you think would look good on it?
            My "No-Name" CC Speaker
            Kerry's "Silverbacks"
            The Archers
            The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by bullittstang View Post
              Wow, impressive not only with the tweeter mounting solution but the fit and finish is top notch. Personally I think the veneer is a great choice will be subtle but still have a lot of movement to it. Keep it up, I'm subscribed!
              Thanks for the compliment Paul. I noticed you are local, maybe after I get these finished you could come by and check em out, let me know what you think.
              My "No-Name" CC Speaker
              Kerry's "Silverbacks"
              The Archers
              The Gandalf's

Comment

Kevin,

Looking good so far. I think the choice of Wolf's Miminus re-do project would be a good match for the plate amp.
                I've been thinking of different small sub choices to use with it and although I think the 'Voxel' is probably the best choice output vs. size, even the ferrite version of the W5-1138 has crept up to around $40 now.

The Peerless drivers you linked to have been getting my attention for awhile, but since I already have too many speakers laying around, I didn't purchase any.

Just thinking out loud... the ND105-4 is about $27 and will dig pretty deep in a slightly smaller enclosure, check out Chris Roemer's Neo Nano speakers for box/port size... maybe not a true 'sub' but maybe something to consider, I know small is likely pretty important for a mom. I could see myself using one of those for a smallish sub and facing driver and port down at the floor in a square but tall design. Could be cool and inexpensive.

Also, the amp is rated at 30 watts with an 8 ohm speaker, it may produce a smidge more with a 4 ohm driver...though the specs are really sparse. I've been using a 16 volt 5 amp power brick, which produces more output than the 12v supply did, and have paired it with 4 ohm subwoofer drivers and it has had no problem at all with any of them.

In fact, I even hooked it up to my pair of D-3's (4 ohm) and a 12 Titanic MK2 subwoofer! It did fine aside from some upper bass coming through the sub. No shut-downs or overheating whatsoever, sounded nice and got louder than I normally listen believe it or not! I wish there were more time at the MWAF, I'd have loved to get it cranking to demo it a bit.

Thanks for considering using the 'Micro-B' amp to power your project. I hope a few folks end up building it, I'd love to hear others' thoughts on how they like the amp board. By the way, did you see/hear Chris Perez's table top radio using that same board and the four 1" Aura drivers on front? That thing was very cool. I have plans to build one for my wife's sister when I get the urge to cut some wood again.

Tom/Z
                *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Thanks Tom. I looked at the Tang Bands but was concerned about their efficiency when paired with the Synchaeta's. The new higher price didn't help their cause either. I love the ND105's, but again, concern about efficiency. As far as the sub goes, I don't think it needs to dig super deep, she doesn't watch Movies on the computer, just listens to music. So mid 40's to 50hz will probably suffice. Since this is for her computer, I planned on mounting the amp in the sub enclosure and having her control the volume with the computer. Did you ever look into the standby feature on the amp? It would be nice for it to shut itself off after a certain amount of time with no use.

I did get to see Chris Perez's table top radio at the show, but didn't realize it was using this amp. Really Cool Project!
                  My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                  Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                  The Archers
                  The Gandalf's

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin K. View Post
                    Thanks Kerry. Probably natural, kinda depends on how it looks to me once I have it in my hands. Did you have a certain color you think would look good on it?
                    If it ends up in the grain color of the picture, I would probably consider just rubbing it with some Danish oil (natural or light color), spraying some Sealcoat, and then whatever top coat you choose. I might consider some kind of deep red tinted dye but I would want to test it first to compare.
                    -Kerry

www.pursuitofperfectsound.com

Comment

Thanks Tom. I looked at the Tang Bands but was concerned about their efficiency when paired with the Synchaeta's. The new higher price didn't help their cause either. I love the ND105's, but again, concern about efficiency. As far as the sub goes, I don't think it needs to dig super deep, she doesn't watch Movies on the computer, just listens to music. So mid 40's to 50hz will probably suffice. Since this is for her computer, I planned on mounting the amp in the sub enclosure and having her control the volume with the computer. Did you ever look into the standby feature on the amp? It would be nice for it to shut itself off after a certain amount of time with no use.

I did get to see Chris Perez's table top radio at the show, but didn't realize it was using this amp. Really Cool Project!
                      As far as I know there isn't an auto on/off feature per se. The two pin connector next to the sub control pins 'mutes' the amps when shorted if memory serves, but it's still 'on.'

I use a power bar with my desktop computer, so when I'm done with the computer, and it shuts down, I just flip the switch on the power bar and the amp, computer, monitor, etc. all shut off.

For my laptop setup, I use something like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Etekcity-1...luded/43350342

Same deal, shut down the computer and hit that switch... both my Triumph w25 watt sub amp and my Lepai 2020A amps turn off as well as the PS to the computer with no bending over.

BTW I think the sub portion of the amp would have enough power with a 16v ps to destroy or at least greatly over-excurse the ND105 given the right music choice; the 5.25" TB can take more power that this amp board will provide, though.

I'm looking forward to seeing pics as you go!

TomZ
                      *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                      *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Thanks for the compliment Paul. I noticed you are local, maybe after I get these finished you could come by and check em out, let me know what you think.
                        Totally missed you were in my "neck of the woods". I'd be glad to get together and listen to them. I heard them at MWAF, but 6 rows back didn't do them the justice they deserved I'm sure.
                        Paul

The "SB's" build page

Comment

Check around and see if anyone possibly has one of the old 6.5" subwoofer buyouts from a few years back. I built a pair of them, each in a PE .56cu ft knockdown cab, with a 2" dia x 10.75" long port (tuned somewhere in the mid 30s IIRC) and they dig really nice and deep (f3 in the upper 30s, with a nice roll off in their ported cabs).

I am not sure of their sensitivity, but mine use the 25w Dayton plate amp and each get far louder than I ever need them in my bedroom/computer use. If you are interested in more info message me and I will pass along as much as I can.

Comment

Name:	20150726_1.jpg
Size:	629.7 KB
ID:	1167643Click image for larger version

Name:	20150726_2.jpg
Size:	654.2 KB
ID:	1167644Click image for larger version

Name:	20150726_3.jpg
Size:	654.2 KB
ID:	1167645

Didn't get a lot done this weekend. The kiddos just got back from being on Vacation with the "X" and I haven't seen em in a week, so spent most of the weekend with them.

I spoke with Ben and asked him what he thought about tilting these for a desktop application since they are so small. He agreed they would benefit the listener with the slanted baffle in this application. I used a 20 degree angle which should put the tweeters close to aiming at the ears from the normal desktop position.

I will be attempting to get these glued up, seams filled with bondo and veneer applied by the end of this next weekend, will post more pics after that. This will be my first attempt at wood veneer without a paper backing. I have already started the flattening process of the veneer and plan on applying it with a cold press glue. Any tips or suggestions on the application are welcome. Thanks.
                            My "No-Name" CC Speaker
                            Kerry's "Silverbacks"
                            The Archers
                            The Gandalf's

Comment

Great idea, very cool looking. FYI I will be stealing this design!
                              Paul

The "SB's" build page

Comment

Working...
                              X