Dayton DVC 15 1/4 wave TL.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton DVC 15 1/4 wave TL.

I've got a Dayton DVC 15 on the way and want to do a 1/4 wave TL for it. I'm getting 174 inches of line length and 126 sq inches of vent area. Does that check out with you guys? I want to go a 4 turn box with the vent directly firing into the listening area through a wall, with the sub down firing into a loading chamber that will direct sound into listening area.

The reason I want to go with a 1/4 wave TL is that I've been using an Elemental Designs sub in one for 5 years now. It is amazing how well this sun and box do everything. Low notes like the Helicarrier taking off for the first time in Avengers to music with heavy bass, or kick drums-everything sounds amazing. I'm only running about 175 watts off a Dayton 250 plate amp. The Dayton DVC will see 500 watts from a BASH 500. I think this will be a tremendous sub when finished, but a couple of things that I'm not sure of I want opinions on. the box has 4 turns, but to make it easy I fired the sub down to have a cleaner look as this will be the only part seen( the port outlet and the loading are.

here it is in all it's glory.
    Attached Files

Re: Dayton DVC 15 1/4 wave TL.

So the driver is the Dayton Audio DVC385-88 15"?
    Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

Yes it is.

Comment

How did you determine the line's length and CSA would be optimum for this woofer and/or give you the response you desired?
        Paul

Originally posted by lbzdually View Post
        I've got a Dayton DVC 15 on the way and want to do a 1/4 wave TL for it. I'm getting 174 inches of line length and 126 sq inches of vent area. Does that check out with you guys? I want to go a 4 turn box with the vent directly firing into the listening area through a wall, with the sub down firing into a loading chamber that will direct sound into listening area.

The reason I want to go with a 1/4 wave TL is that I've been using an Elemental Designs sub in one for 5 years now. It is amazing how well this sun and box do everything. Low notes like the Helicarrier taking off for the first time in Avengers to music with heavy bass, or kick drums-everything sounds amazing. I'm only running about 175 watts off a Dayton 250 plate amp. The Dayton DVC will see 500 watts from a BASH 500. I think this will be a tremendous sub when finished, but a couple of things that I'm not sure of I want opinions on. the box has 4 turns, but to make it easy I fired the sub down to have a cleaner look as this will be the only part seen( the port outlet and the loading are.

here it is in all it's glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
          How did you determine the line's length and CSA would be optimum for this woofer and/or give you the response you desired?
          Paul
          Resonant frequency for line length ((1128/20.9hz)/4) x12) and Sd of sub for vent area. I used this formula for a Elemental designs 13kv2 about 5 years ago and it is mind blowing how good it sounds. Goes extremely low with scenes like Bane's hijacking of the CIA plane on the Dark Knight Rises, with great impact and speed on rock tracks. Put it this way, we used it in our garage (around 8000 cu ft) when we let the kids watch movies out there with our projector, that people playing poker could not hear themselves. I believe the 1/4 wave TL is an underutilized design and very simple for people like me. The only downfall is size, but I have all the space I need. I've also used this design on an Ed 8 and it was way too much for a master bedroom.

Comment

This is what HornResp says the output of your TL is going to be like....

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150726-DEVC385-TL1.gif
Views:	1
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	1167628
            Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

I can't argue about what you've heard but unless you can model the predicted performance you really don't know what to expect. A subwoofer is quite a bit more forgiving, however, since you're pretty much only interested in what happens below 100 Hz. Assuming the actual T/S values for the woofers are close to those published, a line length of 174" ought to be fairly close to optimum considering this woofer's Fs and Qts.
              Paul

Originally posted by lbzdually View Post
              Resonant frequency for line length ((1128/20.9hz)/4) x12) and Sd of sub for vent area. I used this formula for a Elemental designs 13kv2 about 5 years ago and it is mind blowing how good it sounds. Goes extremely low with scenes like Bane's hijacking of the CIA plane on the Dark Knight Rises, with great impact and speed on rock tracks. Put it this way, we used it in our garage (around 8000 cu ft) when we let the kids watch movies out there with our projector, that people playing poker could not hear themselves. I believe the 1/4 wave TL is an underutilized design and very simple for people like me. The only downfall is size, but I have all the space I need. I've also used this design on an Ed 8 and it was way too much for a master bedroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                I can't argue about what you've heard but unless you can model the predicted performance you really don't know what to expect. A subwoofer is quite a bit more forgiving, however, since you're pretty much only interested in what happens below 100 Hz. Assuming the actual T/S values for the woofers are close to those published, a line length of 174" ought to be fairly close to optimum considering this woofer's Fs and Qts.
                Paul
                I will post build pics when I can. I figure the only thing it will cost me is roughly 2 sheets of MDF. I'm trying to do it on the down low, since my wife doesn't exactly know I bought it. :eek: I forgot to mention the ED13k sub only had 170 watts going to it and the Ed 8 incher only had 100 watts. The Dayton DVC 15 will have 500 watts from a BASH amp. I'm really pumped. Only real problem is I will basically have to build it in place, since my back won't allow for lifting that much sub box. Good thing my wood shop is adjacent to HT room in progress. :D

Comment

Working...
                X