Hamster Habitat Sub

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamster Habitat Sub

My last setup in the Ranger was pretty wild and intense, but made me realize what I enjoy most about a subwoofer; low low impact. When I had the eD 13A in my truck it was the most enjoyable....except for the lack of leg room. :p So went to the four 12's, but it just lacked the low end I wanted.

So in comes a custom one of three supposedly protoype subs by Thilo at the former TC Sounds. Reminds me a little of the 13A I had but actually nothing like it.

Details -
    Composite cone and cap
    8-layer flat aluminum coil
    Full copper TC9 proto motor
    Solid mid-Q driver with low Le and lots of xmax
    2.75" slug stack
    Dual 2 ohm
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwo...tc-sounds.html

So as is always the struggle with my Ranger....space. I've been trying to keep the passenger seat fully functional and I'm pretty sure I have failed four times now. :p This time is guaranteed to be a success.

So the recommended enclosure was 1.8 cubes at 27Hz with about 31 sq in of port. When I simmed it showed a little wiggle room down to about 25 sq in of port, so I was planning on going with a 6" port but there was physically no way to get it in there. So I kicked around ideas and some rough mockups showed that two 4" ports should work. Of course each needed to be 49" long. :p I love crazy builds.

So begins the fun of a Std cab Ranger build.

Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Re: Hamster Habitat Sub

Wow, I could never keep all that clear in my head.
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Wow, seems like half the volume is port tubes.
      John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Holy Cow!

That's a lot of port! And the voice coil looks like it was made with Romex! That is some low gauge wire there.
        Curious, what's the box volume minus the ports? You sure needed to get creative to get that much port in there, nice!

TomZ
        *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
        *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Thanks fellas! The port was definitely a challenge, but I really wanted to use PVC instead of a slot.

I recalculated everything this morning....

Gross internal volume = 2.3 cubes
          Ports = .6 cubes
          Driver = ~.08 cubes
          Bracing = negligible

Net internal volume = 1.6ish cubes.

The nice thing about the way I built it is that the couplings are on the side of the box and the ports extend out, so I can change the tuning of the box with a max tuning of 34hz. The way I built it tuning should come out around 27-28hz. I was hoping to get the net volume closer to 1.8 but that caused more headaches than necessary with the external ports and I've already used all the space I can for the enclosure itself.

I should end up with an F3 of 24hz, a +1db peak at 31hz, anechoic. I think the small cab of the Ranger helped boost the sub 40Hz when I had the 13A in there so I should get a bit more reinforcement down there. :D :D

I'm excited to see how this compares to the 13A.
          Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Quick question....how do you figure tuning if one port tube is shorter/longer than the other? Just curious how it would affect the response....

Comment

I may be wrong, but the only way to do that is with an impedance sweep.
              Some people are addicted to Vicodin. I'm addicted to speaker building.

The Chorales - Usher 8945A/Vifa XT25TG Build
              ESP Project 101 Lateral MOSFET Amplifier
              LM4780 Parallel Chipamp
              Sonata Soundbar Project
              The Renditions - Active/Passive Towers

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                Quick question....how do you figure tuning if one port tube is shorter/longer than the other? Just curious how it would affect the response....
                Average length of the 2 ports will be actual tuning length of both ports.

Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Man Joey!!!! I could just see you sitting around the firehouse doing curls thinking, "I am going to turn that fire pole into a port." Awesome creativity and excited to see the end result.
                  If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation.
                  What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness.
                  It's slow death.

//Burn n' Die//Dream Weaver//Maximus//ABC Bookshelf Speakers//Dayton Twin Towers

Comment

I cannot wait to get a report on how this turns out.

Hurry up.

Comment

Those hamsters are in for a nasty surprise. I hope they are wearing their hamster helmets.

Comment

Why put the port tube in the box at all? Wouldn't it be easier to just run it external, behind the driver's seat, for example?
                        "It suggests that there is something that is happening in the real system that is not quite captured in the models."

Comment

First of all -

I am in total awe, I could never attempt a design like that - ok, maybe with a nice Sketchup model, maybe.

Second, I love my TC Sounds sub, but I wish they would do a better design for breathing with that basket.
                          Makes it more difficult to get your baffle correct.

Third, sorry, you're going to have to redo the PVC, one of the pipes is 1/4 inch shorter (just kidding)

Fourth, you'll probably blow the windows out of that Ranger!

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Shake rattle and roll....your side view mirrors will shake so much that you will have trouble seeing the cars......seriously :eek:
                            NLA

Comment

Originally posted by Deward Hastings View Post
                              Why put the port tube in the box at all? Wouldn't it be easier to just run it external, behind the driver's seat, for example?
                              That's what I was thinking.

Comment

Working...
                              X