Amplifier Building vs old and used?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amplifier Building vs old and used?

I am currently looking at this deal wondering if i should jump on it http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/o...ationFlag=true .

I was also looking at this but not sure if it would be worth the extra $ http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/o...ationFlag=true

I have also been looking at for a while now building my own amplifier, my main question is has anyone done it and can it be done for cheaper or better quality around this price range for what is being offered in the above ad.

Any help with places to buy, opinions on building vs buying, what i should do for around $200. I should say what i am looking for first :P I am looking for an amp (power amp alone at first i have integrated amps that can drive a power amp) to drive my mains, 2 channel 103db efficiency 4 ohm, this is a home use hifi intended setup, but plays at roughly 100-105db (give or take a few db). Currently they are drawing a fair amount of power out of the last rotel that i had hooked up, the VU meter was saying it was running at 80W at 8 ohms on the heaviest bass parts of many songs such as chris jones long after youre gone and others that, of course when i need to remember them, have slipped my mind right now! Not sure how accurate the VU meter is but that is the number;)

Do the circuit boards in the power amplifier make a difference in the sound, or is it mostly the transformers? I am pretty new to all of this amplifier building but my research continues :rolleyes: Would i be safe to buy a cheap board like http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Assem...723120945.html or should i look up the schematics for a good design and make it from scratch?

Thanks in advance you guys have been a huge help in all of my audio investments :D

Re: Amplifier Building vs old and used?

well there are alot of things when it comes to amps, do you prefer a certian class amp, such as A,A/B,D/T.

for amps besides the class you have a preference for, as far as other parts of a quality amp. PCB and PCB layout both of those depending on who you ask are #1 or could even be PSU layout/design, then component selection, then transformers. though transformer selection is kinda tricky, i dont know that many companies that make them, the most important though is to get the right voltage and current for the amp.

Comment

So the boards are a pretty large portion of the consideration?

Currently i prefer class a amplifiers as that is what i have heard that sounds the best to my ears, i have no heat complaints, hydro issues, and am looking for the best sound possible. I have only ever heard cheap class D and T amps and they have not sounded good at all so that is not a fair comparison.

Comment

If I were you I'd ask on a hifi forum.

Over in this part of the world, old JVC amps are starting to get popular - LINK

Iirc the Nad Silverline S300 is class A and sounds great.

Comment

Man, those Rotels look nice!
          I'd buy the complete setup for $200, you'll need or want it sooner or later.

You can build your own amps, but it's going to cost you a lot more than it seems at first.
          You can Google these if you wish:
          You can get an Abletec SMPS (500 W or so) here at PE for $20, and 2 IRS2092 LJM boards
          (300 W each into 4 ohms) for about $25 each. So that's about $70 so far - but the case,
          switches, connectors, wire, will run you at least $100. So now you're looking at about $200 or
          more for a nice Class D powerful, clean amp.
          The DIY Gainclone LM3886 amps have a similar cost basis, but sound very good.
          Trouble is, many people will say that they prefer Class A/B or even Class A amps.

I used to think that all amps sounded the same, but actually they really sound different.

So I'd buy that 60 W/ch Rotel setup, and I'd suggest looking at Ebay (or equivalent) for
          a used Adcom GFA 535 or 565 (IIRC). Lots of people love their Class A/B sound.

Hope this helps.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by fatmarley View Post
            If I were you I'd ask on a hifi forum.

Over in this part of the world, old JVC amps are starting to get popular - LINK

Iirc the Nad Silverline S300 is class A and sounds great.
            I will find and ask on a hifi forum as well but so far some good info is coming up here, any forums you recommend including pinkfishmedia.

I am a little more limited in my choices for now in this part of the world :P

I will watch for an NAD silverline s300 as well thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
              Man, those Rotels look nice!
              I'd buy the complete setup for $200, you'll need or want it sooner or later.

You can build your own amps, but it's going to cost you a lot more than it seems at first.
              You can Google these if you wish:
              You can get an Abletec SMPS (500 W or so) here at PE for $20, and 2 IRS2092 LJM boards
              (300 W each into 4 ohms) for about $25 each. So that's about $70 so far - but the case,
              switches, connectors, wire, will run you at least $100. So now you're looking at about $200 or
              more for a nice Class D powerful, clean amp.
              The DIY Gainclone LM3886 amps have a similar cost basis, but sound very good.
              Trouble is, many people will say that they prefer Class A/B or even Class A amps.

I used to think that all amps sounded the same, but actually they really sound different.

So I'd buy that 60 W/ch Rotel setup, and I'd suggest looking at Ebay (or equivalent) for
              a used Adcom GFA 535 or 565 (IIRC). Lots of people love their Class A/B sound.

Hope this helps.
              As for the rotels i think i will jump on them, the soonest i can go hear them is next week, sellers orders ;) , so i will post up here how it goes!

All of your info on building amps is going to help a lot, thanks. I think ypu are right i will buy these rotels for the time being and then do some more research and look into building an amp.

Comment

I've built lots of amplifiers. Class A, AB, D, tubes, chips, descrete transistors, etc. I always build them because I find it fun and rewarding. But I don't build them to save money ;)
                Craig

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                  I've built lots of amplifiers. Class A, AB, D, tubes, chips, descrete transistors, etc. I always build them because I find it fun and rewarding. But I don't build them to save money ;)
                  I see :P well be in touch when its time to build !

Comment

Jason: Craig is an EE and as you stated:
                    I am pretty new to all of this amplifier building
                    Just something to consider
                    "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                    “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                    "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
                      Jason: Craig is an EE and as you stated:

Just something to consider
                      All of these things to consider buying is looking more my speed, for now :P

Comment

Originally posted by jason171717 View Post
                        I will find and ask on a hifi forum as well but so far some good info is coming up here, any forums you recommend including pinkfishmedia.

I am a little more limited in my choices for now in this part of the world :P

I will watch for an NAD silverline s300 as well thanks.
                        Hifiwigwam is a good forum.

Not sure if you can get Cambridge Audio where you are but if you can I think the new amplifiers are excellent value for money. I have a Topaz AM1 that I bought because I blew a channel on my old Onix OA21 (Nice little British 80s amp) and I think it sounds great for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by jason171717 View Post
                          All of these things to consider buying is looking more my speed, for now :P
                          A corollary from my original post is:

You can spend $100-200 and build some nice Class D or even Class A/B amps, and have a lot of
                          fun (and some frustration in my case) but in my mind, if
                          I'm thinking about spending $350-450 to build a high-end amp, it makes much more sense
                          to buy an Emotiva or some other "very stout" amp and be done with it.

I think you are one the right path with the kijiji link - here in the US, lots of us watch Craigslist for
                          similar audio bargains. You just have to know the device reputation, and the expected used price range.

Hope this helps,

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by fatmarley View Post
                            Hifiwigwam is a good forum.

Not sure if you can get Cambridge Audio where you are but if you can I think the new amplifiers are excellent value for money. I have a Topaz AM1 that I bought because I blew a channel on my old Onix OA21 (Nice little British 80s amp) and I think it sounds great for the money.
                            Yea we get cambridge amps up here none so far on kijiji. Do you know if this is the cap i have to change to fix the emi leak in my old rotel? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438979924.969483.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	1167813

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                              A corollary from my original post is:

You can spend $100-200 and build some nice Class D or even Class A/B amps, and have a lot of
                              fun (and some frustration in my case) but in my mind, if
                              I'm thinking about spending $350-450 to build a high-end amp, it makes much more sense
                              to buy an Emotiva or some other "very stout" amp and be done with it.

I think you are one the right path with the kijiji link - here in the US, lots of us watch Craigslist for
                              similar audio bargains. You just have to know the device reputation, and the expected used price range.

Hope this helps,
                              Thanks for the help. Can you even get emotiva for $400?

I still have to do some more research to find what the price range is but i am pretty sure, from what i have seen, this is a good deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X