replied
    Re: Amplifier Building vs old and used?

Behringer A500 , buy two brand new with free shipping for $400
    donc

Leave a comment:

• DDF
    replied

I have 2 original NAD 3020s, an original Bryston 2B and a Bryston 2B LP pro. In my experience, electrolytic caps stand a good chance of going south and needing replacement after ~ 25 years. I recapped the power supply in both Brystons and one NAD is in now need. Symptom is low level hum. So its risky to buy too old an amp.

I also have an LM3886 amp, from a chinese ebay suppler. Build quality was good but I prefer the sound of the old NADs and the Brystons. I played the amp at a DIY get together and no one was too thrilled with it.

I have heard an LJM amp and it smoked all the previously mentioned amps. It was very clean and powerful. Just be careful if paring with bright speakers, it may be a bit too hot sounding.
    I've heard great things from reliable sources about the ClassDaudio amps (similar design to the LJM but more expensive; however more turn key and better support)

Leave a comment:

• johnastockman
    replied

Originally posted by jason171717 View Post
    Thanks for the help. Can you even get emotiva for $400?

I still have to do some more research to find what the price range is but i am pretty sure, from what i have seen, this is a good deal.

I got my brand-new Emotiva UPA-2 for $399. Amazing build quality and SQ, super robust, loafs running my Statement Monitors' 4-ohm load to ridiculous levels. The used Adcom or Hafler would be something I'd consider, terrific amps. We sold Adcom and they were super-reliable with any hard-to-drive 4-ohm speaker. Guys on the Emotiva forum have gear for sale...I was thinking about selling my USP-1 pre-amp (no longer produced) to fund an XSP-1 pre-amp purchase. I've heard they were coming out with a new 2-channel pre-amp like the USP-1 and in that price-range, but so far nothing. The XSP-1 is the only one they have right now and it's pricey. The UPA-2 is so capable, I'll be keeping that. Let us know what you get and what you think.

John A.

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied

Yup!

http://www.antekinc.com/1000va/

Leave a comment:

• SpeakerScott
    replied

I've done this math many times....if it's for FUN or a super-specific purpose go ahead and build the amp. If the idea is to get a high quality amp for a good cost, or even learning about how they work a used amp can be an awfully good value. I just got a 150WPC into 8 ohm, Crown amp for $50 because one channel didn't work. The root cause was a bad connection in a phono jack. $3.00 fix and I got a ~50lb beast of an amp for $53 and an hour or two of work. It has a 1kVA transformer in it and I couldn't buy one for under $100-$150...so....a steal.

Scott

Leave a comment:

• replied

So the boards are a pretty large portion of the consideration?
    Not really. Many home made amps have little or no circuit boards with only point to point wiring. What matters much more is the component quality and grading/matching.

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied

Yeah ( 15 years ago ) when I first saw amps sold on the internet, I was shocked and dismayed at the prices.

Leave a comment:

• jason171717
    replied

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
    I yam what I yam .
    Don't know the used market in your area, Online prices are usually much higher.
    There are so many guys who become DJ's or form garage bands ( who later get out of the biz ), that used gear is easily found.
    Some people are real good at finding deals: At a bank sale I saw Crown amps going for $200 :eek:.
    That vintage guy sounds like a plan ( avoid Flame-Linear )
    Thanks for the help Syd!

I have found that online prices are usually pretty high compared to used i have found, not including the rotel for free ;)

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied

This popped up as a related item with your second link.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/c...sor/1093467166

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied

Im not calling you old or anything but wow ;) ! What do you recommend a good price point is used?

Im going to this vintage amp guy i know, great guy he fixes up old used amps and sells em cheap, so we will see if by tomorrow i am the owner of a new (old) amp
    I yam what I yam .
    Don't know the used market in your area, Online prices are usually much higher.
    There are so many guys who become DJ's or form garage bands ( who later get out of the biz ), that used gear is easily found.
    Some people are real good at finding deals: At a bank sale I saw Crown amps going for $200 :eek:.
    That vintage guy sounds like a plan ( avoid Flame-Linear )

Leave a comment:

• dst
    replied

Check out DIY with Hypex modules, or from Not cheap but amazing. Or look at Class D Audio's modules. Bang for buck: Emotiva.

Leave a comment:

• Whitneyville1
    replied

Try browsing Audiogon.com for good used gear. Throw out the high and low prices and you'll see the "median" prices. Harmon Kardon made some excellent separates (man this sounds awful!) last century.

Leave a comment:

• jason171717
    replied

Originally posted by Sydney View Post
    As a reference: my Hafler 220 amps are from the early 80's ( older than some forum members :D ). Used they sell for the same price paid.
    I'd also buy a good used amp vs a cheap kit of questionable quality.
    Im not calling you old or anything but wow ;) ! What do you recommend a good price point is used?

Im going to this vintage amp guy i know, great guy he fixes up old used amps and sells em cheap, so we will see if by tomorrow i am the owner of a new (old) amp

Leave a comment:

• jason171717
    replied

Originally posted by weinstro View Post
    I don't have statistical knowledge of the market for Rotels, but it just seems high and for $400 there are a lot of other interesting amps to consider.

Your speaker is probably a good deal less than 103 dB sensitivity, but even if it's 93 dB you can probably get plenty loud with 68 watts - which is the power rating for a properly built LM3886 chip amp.

I would use it as a preamp (really just switching and control), assuming it has preamp outputs.

Sigh. Too many things out of your control for my liking. Unless this vendor and design have strong recommendations from users you trust, you would have to worry about counterfeit devices, device matching, equivalent beta/Ids ratings to original design, quality of pcb routing, etc.

Originally developed by Marshall Leach, a professor at Georgia Tech. Cloned multiple times on diyaudio. More info here:
    http://users.ece.gatech.edu/mleach/lowtim/
    As for the lm chip, is that considered a pure 63 w? Or is that like the yamaha ratings?

I am not sure if i can use the rotel as a pre amp i still can not get rid of the electrical type of ticking noise it produces in anything connected to it when my theater/ game computer is running.

I was just putting that chinese website up here for mostly a shot in the dark ;) all web recommendations for canada will be taken much more seriously!

I will have to look into that leach amp some more it seems pretty popular.

Leave a comment:

• Sydney
    replied

As a reference: my Hafler 220 amps are from the early 80's ( older than some forum members :D ). Used they sell for the same price paid.
    I'd also buy a good used amp vs a cheap kit of questionable quality.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X