Announcement

Collapse

Columbus Day Sale

Shop Our 24-Hour Columbus Day Sale on 10/14/19 at Parts Express! Click the Parts Express Logo at the top left of this page.
See more
See less

Amplifier Building vs old and used?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Amplifier Building vs old and used?

Originally posted by jason171717 View Post
    Thanks! I so far have been very impressed with the sound quality, though it seems to heat up fairly fast compared to all other amps i have, not sure if that is just its design or i have a problem, the speaker wire wasnt in all the way the first time, barely any contact (real rookie move ;) ). After that the heat subsided a bit but i was playing it quieter as well so by tomorrow when it has a fresh start we will see how it does it is too bad you gave away the hafler what amp do you use now?
    Well, a variety!

I've got a couple of DIY amps - LM3886 Gainclone (68W/ch) in my bedroom - a IRS2092 (250W/ch) I just finished, and a vintage Kenwood KM-208 (a real sleeper - great sound and specs).

They all sound a bit different, which was a big eye-opener for me.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Haven't read the other posts but the LM3886 is excellent. I have an audiolab 8000a which is a renowned integrated amp which cost around $1000 in the early 90s and the gainclones I used to use where probably better. That said the audiolab does something really awesome to electric guitars and has nice space. I love it. They go for $300 or less and they have a great phono stage if you're into that.

The cool thing about gainclones though is that if you need a 6 channel amp to go active or have surround or whatever, you just build more. Super useful thing to know how to do for an audio diy'er. Nelson Pass once posted a list of useful circuits with these included. Linkwitz used them in various designs.

I built my first one back when i thought you were supposed to drip the solder on to the joint and it worked regardless. No fires or anything, which is more surprising when you consider that I housed them in shoe boxes (dont do this). Its was really fun to demo a cardboard box with wires coming out of it and watch peoples faces when they heard them.

My point is that they are accessible for a first time builder. Maybe skip the shoe boxes though.

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
        Well, a variety!

I've got a couple of DIY amps - LM3886 Gainclone (68W/ch) in my bedroom - a IRS2092 (250W/ch) I just finished, and a vintage Kenwood KM-208 (a real sleeper - great sound and specs).

They all sound a bit different, which was a big eye-opener for me.
        I never thought speakers could have a different sound, i used to think its only the speakers and the quality of the medium being used. Boy was i wrong :P

How much did that irs2092 cost to make and how does it stack up musically against your other amps?

Comment

Originally posted by upsideDownNBackwards View Post
          Haven't read the other posts but the LM3886 is excellent. I have an audiolab 8000a which is a renowned integrated amp which cost around $1000 in the early 90s and the gainclones I used to use where probably better. That said the audiolab does something really awesome to electric guitars and has nice space. I love it. They go for $300 or less and they have a great phono stage if you're into that.

The cool thing about gainclones though is that if you need a 6 channel amp to go active or have surround or whatever, you just build more. Super useful thing to know how to do for an audio diy'er. Nelson Pass once posted a list of useful circuits with these included. Linkwitz used them in various designs.

I built my first one back when i thought you were supposed to drip the solder on to the joint and it worked regardless. No fires or anything, which is more surprising when you consider that I housed them in shoe boxes (dont do this). Its was really fun to demo a cardboard box with wires coming out of it and watch peoples faces when they heard them.

My point is that they are accessible for a first time builder. Maybe skip the shoe boxes though.
          I so far have heard lots of great stuff about the lm chips i have a feeling that may be the chip for me to base my amp off.

That shoebox would be a real spectacle as long as it doesnt start to heat up! Cant believe you didnt have any problems making a shoe box amp ;)

That might be a pretty good thing to build multiples and run my 3 way mains as active speakers but then i have to get an electric XO right?

Your point is well noted, thanks! I am still deciding if i would be able to solder everything without issue or not :P

Comment

Originally posted by jason171717 View Post
            I never thought speakers could have a different sound, i used to think its only the speakers and the quality of the medium being used. Boy was i wrong :P

How much did that irs2092 cost to make and how does it stack up musically against your other amps?
            Get something like this:
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Assembled-LJ...item19f6af618c

The LJM designed boards are well-regarded.

And a power supply:
            http://www.parts-express.com/abletec...6v-1a--129-147

So the base cost of the components is < $100. You of course need to add a case, power and signal connectors, etc.

I think the sound is very, very good. Massive power capabilities, ultra quiet and low distortion.
            Plus, the amp is pretty small and light.

BTW, unless you are very experienced with soldering and electronics, buy finished boards.
            there are plenty of challenges in the build, even with modular blocks.

Hope this helps.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Working...
            X