Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you know when youve abondoned a project?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you know when youve abondoned a project?

Its when it has cobwebs inside of it, literally.

Before Christmas last year, I took on the task of a pair of curved floorstanders. What a terrible idea.

I have spent more time building things to help build the cabinets than i have actually working on the cabinets. Its really a PITA to get the 1/8" mdf to bend around the radius. I have built a clamp frame that failed. I use slats of wood, layered and strung together with rope to make them more manageable, but that also failed to successfully wrap the sides. I used a brad nailer and hundreds of brads to hold them in place, but, you guess it - failure.

So i put it down. For months. And months.

So the other day, halfway sarcastically, and in a bit of rage, i decided to clamp the front edge with 2x4s, and simply pull the back edge together and use tape to hold the mdf to the curve along the spine. Lots and lots of tape. I let it sit overnight, then came back to check my work.

And guess what?

It worked. And not only did it work, it worked really well.

So, now I know two things - spiders love speaker cabinets, and i waste too much time overthinking and overengineering.

I will post some pictures later, Tapatalk doesnt let me.
    Last edited by dustinbagby; 08-18-2015, 02:33 PM.

Re: How do you know when youve abondoned a project?

If I leave open cabinets in the garage it only takes a day or two for a spider to make a home of it. Cut some MDF in the shop and all the webs become very clear.
    "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
    exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Duct Tape - It's not just for repairs any more!

Comment

Sounds like you might have made use of a vacuum bag, like is used in veneering to put pressure on the MDF.

Comment

Originally posted by PassingInterest View Post
          Duct Tape - It's not just for repairs any more!
          I actually used masking tape. I didnt want the sticky residue from duct tape on the cabinets since these will be bare MDF for a while.

Comment

I get the most impressive full spider webs on my front porch. Saw a huge spider in
            the latest one last night. I have to start taking pictures of these.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Basel View Post
              I get the most impressive full spider webs on my front porch. Saw a huge spider in
              the latest one last night. I have to start taking pictures of these.
              That happens every August around here.

Comment

Wolf spiders are everywhere around here. Youll be lying in bed and see one go running across the floor. They are almost impossible to keep out of your house/garage.

Comment

I recently took to trying to repaint some baffles (for the 3rd time) from a year-old-project.

Did some work on them last night, went to check on them this morning and there was a spider web in the tweeter cutout. That was quick

Wish I would have taken a pic, but I was rushing to spray a quick coat of clear before heading to work. Definitely a lot of spiders around lately with some insane webs popping up all around my house.

Comment

Working...
                  X