Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"House sound" Do the designers here have a "house sound"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "House sound" Do the designers here have a "house sound"?

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
    Ben, I'm pretty sure everyone knows that you design your own speakers. Don't let a childish tag get to you. In fact, I contrasted our approach to crossovers because they are different. But that doesn't mean your speakers aren't excellent, because some of them are very good indeed. It's just that I tried to bring you up in the ways of the master, but you chose your own way. ;)
    Apparently not everyone does, as I've been told some don't- long story. I just figured I would set it straight out in the open. The tags have been out of hand since MWAF, and they finally got to me.

Yep- I saw your contrasting approach stated, and thank you for the compliments- even if "I did it differently". (BTW- that quote was used almost everyday in Geometry class because I never solved theorems and proofs like the rest of the class.) I've gotten used to doing things differently than the masses, as that is just the way my brain is wired.

Ryan- thank you as well.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      Apparently not everyone does, as I've been told some don't- long story. I just figured I would set it straight out in the open. The tags have been out of hand since MWAF, and they finally got to me.

Yep- I saw your contrasting approach stated, and thank you for the compliments- even if "I did it differently". (BTW- that quote was used almost everyday in Geometry class because I never solved theorems and proofs like the rest of the class.) I've gotten used to doing things differently than the masses, as that is just the way my brain is wired.

Ryan- thank you as well.

Later,
      Wolf
      Sorry to hear that you didn't pass geometry. :D
      Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
        Sorry to hear that you didn't pass geometry. :D
        LOL! That's not what I meant....
        I did get the answers or solutions, just never like anyone else.

Thanks for the laugh,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by skatz View Post
          Jeff can you say more about what your "recipe" is? And amplify how you go about designing the power response?
          Jumping on this to ask if a recipe might mean a preference for particular x-o slopes. Would the preference for example butterworth over LR2 vary by MT vs. MTM or should we also look for preferred slopes as a function of the x-o frequency?
          John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Jeff, you keep mentioning that you and Wolf use different recipes. Since I haven't had the chance to listen to many of your designs (actually his Caritas last week were the first I think, which were amazing for $89, but I'm not sure I got your voicing style from the short listen), I'm still hoping to get a general sense of the differences in approach you guys use.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center
            CJD In-Khan-Neatos - A Dayton RS180/RS150/RS28 In/On Wall MTW

Comment

Is there any way to identify who is placing those obnoxious tags? If this has been going on for a while, I think an Admin should just indicate who it is, and they should get called out.

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
                Is there any way to identify who is placing those obnoxious tags? If this has been going on for a while, I think an Admin should just indicate who it is, and they should get called out.
                AFAIK there is no way of finding out whodunnit, but it does need to stop.
                Your results may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                  Jumping on this to ask if a recipe might mean a preference for particular x-o slopes. Would the preference for example butterworth over LR2 vary by MT vs. MTM or should we also look for preferred slopes as a function of the x-o frequency?
                  Good question John! I'm curious as well. On the 3 series crossovers I've done so far, all of been BW slopes with the last 2 coming out to BW5. The parallel came out to LR4 generally. I don't target a particular slope but do check it once I am satisfied with the Sim.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

I'm curious about this too as I've only been doing this now for a couple years. Wouldn't the targeted slope be dependent on either the natural roll off of the drivers used, and also as much as that, how close you're pushing those drivers to their limit?

For example, lets say you were using a driver that played fairly respectably out to 2.5khz, but fell apart quickly after that... then say you wanted to cross that at 2.5khz. In a situation like that, you'd want the steepest acoustic slope possible right?

A different example would be a midwoofer that played well out to 4khz, mated with a tweeter that played down to 1.8khz... Finding a cross at about 2.5khz with more like a 2nd order on both would be fine in this situation... right?
                    "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                    "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
                      I'm curious about this too as I've only been doing this now for a couple years. Wouldn't the targeted slope be dependent on either the natural roll off of the drivers used, and also as much as that, how close you're pushing those drivers to their limit?

For example, lets say you were using a driver that played fairly respectably out to 2.5khz, but fell apart quickly after that... then say you wanted to cross that at 2.5khz. In a situation like that, you'd want the steepest acoustic slope possible right?

A different example would be a midwoofer that played well out to 4khz, mated with a tweeter that played down to 1.8khz... Finding a cross at about 2.5khz with more like a 2nd order on both would be fine in this situation... right?
                      The answer is....maybe. I don't target a certain slope or crossover point. But let the drivers tell me where they want to meet. That might mean 2nd or 3rd order electrical, it might mean a notch. It really is driver dependent.

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                        The answer is....maybe. I don't target a certain slope or crossover point. But let the drivers tell me where they want to meet. That might mean 2nd or 3rd order electrical, it might mean a notch. It really is driver dependent.
                        Right, that's exactly what I meant. The slope is dependent on the drivers you're using. More in reference to JH's question about particular slope preferences. I don't really see how you could prefer a specific slope, when it's the driver that dictates where it should roll off.
                        "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk

Comment

The driver doesn't totally dictate the crossover point. But it's natural roll is part of the acoustic slope with the filter applied. The designer should use that info to develop a filter that sums the drivers properly but can also adjust the q and rate of the slope to their liking. LR4 is targeted often because many find it to be the most pleasant and natural (subjective opinion there)

Comment

Curt's Speaker Design Works

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
                            - Aristotle

Comment

Awesome and informative response Curt, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by curt_c View Post
                                ...Your aural acuity deteriorates as you tire or with exposure to loud conditions.
                                I've found this to be very true: During Audio and Video editing, playing audio stems repetitively fatigues my ears quickly, requiring pauses to de-focus. Cleanse the aural palate so to speak.

don’t just sit in the sweet spot, but get up and walk around the room. ...
                                Highly recommended practice for Live sound EQ as well.
                                Personally I would not have a design that did not provide acceptable off-axis performance.
                                "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
                                “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
                                "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Working...
                                X