advice getting started putting Finalists together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice getting started putting Finalists together

i've received the parts and mdf flatpack cuts for the "Finalists" speaker design.

i'm looking at this thread to see how to put them together:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...st-Build/page2

anyone got suggestion on type of clamps i'll need? how many? and would homedepot clamps suffice? gorilla wood glue, is that ok?

tia

Re: advice getting started putting Finalists together

Gorilla wood glue will work fine. As far as how many clamps to buy, I think the more the better. If you end up having too many, you could return them or keep to use in future projects. I'm not sure what HD clamps your referring to but I like Harbor Freight's clamps. They are cheap so you can buy a bunch and they work well. Here's a pic of one, you can get all different lengths. Good luck on your build.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_14720.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1167942
    Last edited by Jeff F.; 08-23-2015, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff F. View Post
      Gorilla wood glue will work fine. As far as how many clamps to buy, I think the more the better. If you end up having to many, you could return them or keep to use in future projects. I'm not sure what HD clamps your referring to but I like Harbor Freight's clamps. They are cheap so you can buy a bunch and they work well. Here's a pic of one, you can get all different lengths. Good luck on your build.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59627[/ATTACH]
      i mentioned homedepot clamps, only as in a general reference, i too have no idea type/brand. well, harbor freight is closer to my home so i'll go there and prices can't be beat. i see what type the guy used in the thread of him building his Finalists, i'll just get a bunch of those.

thanks for confirming that.

Comment

I also recommend the hand screw type clamp. The pistol grip action clamps don't provide as much force and tend to slip if you do clamp too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by marvin View Post
          I also recommend the hand screw type clamp. The pistol grip action clamps don't provide as much force and tend to slip if you do clamp too hard.
          i'll get a few of those too. thanks!

Comment

I agree with Jeff on those Harbor Freight clamps. They aren't as rigid as a Bessey or a Jorgenson clamp (the steel rod is almost like spring steel), but they still work great and they're about half the price or less. I have about 10 of the HF clamps and have yet to break one. As far as how many, more is definitely better. I'd say minimum of 6 or even 8 per cabinet glue up, but more is better.
            "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
            "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

i'm putting together a pair of Finalists. the specs, advice and writeups about them plus DIY cost made them the winners of my first DIY speakers.

i had Melby Audio <@>melbyaudio<dot>com cut the cabinets for me from MDF. i have no tools or experience with that craft. i also had them solder the x-over for me. i got the drivers from them also.

i forgot to get a few other items that comes with the Meniscus Audio "Finalist" kit, so i'm waiting on them while i view the Finalist thread by
              "lowpolyjoe" on the forum from 2013. he did a beautiful on them with the veneer and build.

my build won't have the veneer done, i don't think. if i want veneer i'll have to find someone local to do that. not sure what i'll do the finish of the cabs, paint or stain or ?

anyways, i dry fitted a speaker to ensure parts fit and uploading some images. MelbyAudio did a really good job with the cuts. i haven't started glueing the cabs yet as its very hot in my garage now as i reside in the SW desert area. the heat may not be an issue for the speakers/glue but it's an issue for moi. ;-)

i'll check back periodically and post a question of two regarding this my first DIY speaker build and any other advice folks have.
              Attached Files

Comment

here is one cab dry fit...
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice!! Nice caps too [emoji41]
                  "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk

Comment

Dry fit looks good

In my opinion, the Finalists are a little more challenging than the most other builds. Having the cabinet pre-cut is a great way to go to save time and frustration.

I really love veneer and the species I picked for my Finalists are some of my favorites. Came out pretty good except for some odd wrinkles on the cabinet tops.

I always assumed that painting was easier than veneer work, but this past year I tried to paint the baffles on a few projects and it was much more difficult than I expected to get a high quality, glossy finish.

If you're looking for a relatively quick and easy finish, I hear a lot of people say good things about DuraTex. It's paint that you roll on with a textured roller. I have not used it myself but plan to try it out some time. Search for it on the Parts Express main site.

Good luck. Looking forward to continued status updates.

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
                      Nice!! Nice caps too [emoji41]
                      glad to hear that. adds to a beginners' overall confidence in the project.

Comment

Originally posted by lowpolyjoe View Post
                        Dry fit looks good

In my opinion, the Finalists are a little more challenging than the most other builds. Having the cabinet pre-cut is a great way to go to save time and frustration.

I really love veneer and the species I picked for my Finalists are some of my favorites. Came out pretty good except for some odd wrinkles on the cabinet tops.

I always assumed that painting was easier than veneer work, but this past year I tried to paint the baffles on a few projects and it was much more difficult than I expected to get a high quality, glossy finish.

If you're looking for a relatively quick and easy finish, I hear a lot of people say good things about DuraTex. It's paint that you roll on with a textured roller. I have not used it myself but plan to try it out some time. Search for it on the Parts Express main site.

Good luck. Looking forward to continued status updates.
                        thanks for the tip on the DuraTex and your experience with spray painting! i think your speakers look beautiful and you put a boatload of work into them. reassuring they sound so good too. like you i have a Denon. mine is avr-x300 that i will push sound out of.

for those of us without the tools and craftsmanship to do woodworking, the MelbyAudio folks sure helped me out. he worked with me on the shipping costs too. very good people to work with and the cuts all fit nice and snug.

even so, i'm relying much on your build documentation and notes!!

i'm hoping to start this month gluing, (i'm using liquid nails and/or titebond to glue).

would you have a recommendation on which pieces to start gluing first? i.e., like a side panel to a front or back piece first?

appreciate everyone's help/advice!

Comment

This is my cousin's Blues MTM in the pre-made cherry PE cabinets. He didn't like the original bolts that held the baffle on, so he glued the baffle on with PL construction adhesive, then bondo'd some grill magnets in, then he finished them with Duratex. They look incredible IMO, that Duratex really is great stuff.

(If the pic is there, it worked. If not, I tried from my phone and obviously it didn't work)

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1441225887367.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1168143

Comment

+1 for Duratex. It is the easiest easiest way I know to get a good looking finish on MDF. Not as fancy as veneer or a piano gloss paint, but much easier.
                            Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

Comment

Originally posted by sydkz View Post
                              would you have a recommendation on which pieces to start gluing first? i.e., like a side panel to a front or back piece first?

appreciate everyone's help/advice!
                              I'd suggest you work from the side up so you can position the mid tunnel easily. The last two pieces you assemble should be the last side and the outer front baffle, in that order.

HTH

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X