Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: advice getting started putting Finalists together

Originally posted by Melby Audio View Post
    Looking good! let me know if that mid tunnel brace does not patch up nice. We could probably work out a way to get you a new one if need be.
    will do and thanks for the offer. i'll give the triage a go tomorrow and report back in a couple of days and let you know. thanks

update: 10.12.15 :: it worked out fine. thx
    Last edited by sydkz; 10-12-2015, 06:25 AM.

Comment

day:7-12

the triage was successful on my errors.

the tunnel piece that i had sanded too much off also had a piece of it crack when i put a clamp in the wrong place on it and stressed it too much.

i simply filled those two cracks with wood filler, used two c-clamps to squeeze them closed and then sanded (lightly) and they came out flush. no problemo. so far so good.
      Attached Files

Comment

day: 12

now for filling in the gap i created with too much sanding.

i had some wooden shims i pushed into the gap. in one of the images you can see where i trimmed off the protruding part of the shims from inside the tunnel cutout.

i put a bunch of glue on the shims and pushed them in tight. waited a day for that to dry, then began filling in the hole with wood filler a little at a time, wait a day, fill in some more. then hand sanded it. it came out ok and the strength of the cabinet and its window brace are strong so i'm happy that error got fixed.
        Attached Files

Comment

day 13:

so both here are both cabinets, ready for foam and x-overs. i'll post images of that phase in a few days.
          Attached Files

Comment

days14-17: or there about's

puts some terminals on the xovers and glued some wooden standoffs for them. MelbyAudio put the xover's together. they came all ready to go and with wires attached. i just added the terminals and color wires for my own eyes and such. they did all the hard work.
            Attached Files

Comment

more from the xovers.

images might need to be rotated. they appeared ok on this end but looked rotated after uploading.
              Attached Files

Comment

these are the 3" diameter terminals i had. the switch needs a 1/2" hole. i thought that hole would too big for the 3" terminals, but i got them in there. they'll work as i orientated the switch for up & down so the terminals aren't so much in the way when i go to testing "near & far".
                Attached Files

Comment

remaining two side panels with foam glued on ready to be glued to cabinet. i cut a "route" into the foam for the xover's. i didn't anticipate that prior to gluing the foam onto the panels. always little things like that that pop up.

i put two little knobs on the mid-driver tunnel back covers.

getting closer to finish time...but i am slow
                  Attached Files

Comment

hey Jim

i got all the panels glued now. filling in a few tiny spaces between them and sanding a bit.

for the baffle, i just glue that on right? i don't think i'll try bolting them on.

Comment

Originally posted by sydkz View Post
                      hey Jim

i got all the panels glued now. filling in a few tiny spaces between them and sanding a bit.

for the baffle, i just glue that on right? i don't think i'll try bolting them on.
                      Yes, that should be fine.

Jim

Comment

he's back!

took me awhile but i just put the first coat of dura-tex on the cabs today. i spent a few weeks doodling a bit with glue-sizing the mdf edges and a few coats of zinsser. probably didn't need it since dura-tex i see now doesn't need a primer. oh well. i was waiting on the dura-tex to be shipped and it gave me some new experience puttin about in the garage.

i don't know if i'll use the "sponge" roller for the second coat or do i have to? seems enough "texture" for me just with the first coat. so maybe one of the smooth rollers i have laying about.

Comment

The Duratex "coats" go a long way. I got the little 2-way kit and after 6 coats with the foam roller on the TriTrix boxes, I had 1/3 of the Duratex left over. I used the included roller for each coat on these, all 6.

The only prep on the MDF I did was sanding, then a wipe-down with a couple of tack cloths. I thought it wouldn't take as many coats as I used, but after the first go around, I realized I needed more than two or three. If that might be more texture than you want, you can experiment with a different roller type/texture. I didn't try anything else, just the roller that came in the kit. Let us know how it turns out and what you used roller-wise.

John A.
                          "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                          Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                          Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                          Pioneer TX-9500 II
                          Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                          Statement Monitors
                          Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                          Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                          Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Originally posted by johnastockman View Post
                            The Duratex "coats" go a long way. I got the little 2-way kit and after 6 coats with the foam roller on the TriTrix boxes, I had 1/3 of the Duratex left over. I used the included roller for each coat on these, all 6.

The only prep on the MDF I did was sanding, then a wipe-down with a couple of tack cloths. I thought it wouldn't take as many coats as I used, but after the first go around, I realized I needed more than two or three. If that might be more texture than you want, you can experiment with a different roller type/texture. I didn't try anything else, just the roller that came in the kit. Let us know how it turns out and what you used roller-wise.

John A.
                            those look good! that's what i'm using, the roller that came with the dura-tex. it will take at least 2-3 coats for me at least. i may try another roller, not sure. there's no need for any type of clear coat after the dura-tex is there?

thanks for the help

Comment

I wouldn't use one. I'd be afraid of compatibility issues with the materials, but maybe someone has done it and found the right clear to use. It can make dusting an issue with the rough surface, but the guy I made those for loves it. I used spray-on Duplicolor bed liner in the past for many speakers and subs, never used clear. Still going strong with no flaking, chipping or deterioration problems. From what I've experienced so far with the Duratex, I expect similar results and long term viability.

John A.
                              "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                              Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                              Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                              Pioneer TX-9500 II
                              Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                              Statement Monitors
                              Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                              Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                              Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Originally posted by johnastockman View Post
                                I wouldn't use one. I'd be afraid of compatibility issues with the materials, but maybe someone has done it and found the right clear to use. It can make dusting an issue with the rough surface, but the guy I made those for loves it. I used spray-on Duplicolor bed liner in the past for many speakers and subs, never used clear. Still going strong with no flaking, chipping or deterioration problems. From what I've experienced so far with the Duratex, I expect similar results and long term viability.

John A.
                                good to know, then i won't venture into that step. one less step suits me. i'm sure i've added more steps than i actually needed anyways. ;-)

the second coat looks good. one more coat may just nail it for me. thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X