• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnastockman
    replied
    Re: advice getting started putting Finalists together

Yes, the stands I'm using are the ones that PE has:

http://www.parts-express.com/sanus-s...stand--240-808

After searching extensively, they were the only ones I found that were the correct height AND had a top plate big enough for the Statement Monitors. I oriented them front-to-back instead of how the pic shows them in the side-to-side config because of the Monitors depth. A piece of that rubber mesh tool drawer liner sits between the speakers and the top plates so they're quite solid. They're metal and well built, sturdy enough for the weight of those speakers. For friends, I have taken other stands that have the small top plates and made a piece that fits over the stock top plate. I'd rout out the bottom of my piece about 1/8" depth so it would fit over the top plate and adjust the overall dimensions of my piece to fit the bottom of the speakers. Then I'd drill out mounting holes and countersink the head part of the screw/bolt so it sits below the surface of the piece I made. A nice work-around if you can't find the dimensions you need.

John A.

Leave a comment:

• sydkz
    replied

Originally posted by johnastockman View Post
    Looks great! It sure feels amazing to finally get the speakers done and hooked up, enjoying your music collection all over again. Did you like how the Duratex turned out? It makes me smile every time I see a build/project come to fruition, because I know the feelings and emotions you can experience by going with the DIY option. How are those stands working? Is the top plate big enough? Just curious, as I have two "center channel speaker" stands that are 18" tall. They put the tweeters right at a good height when I'm sitting down. I got them because the top plates were larger than other stands I looked at. An 8" x 9" top plate was too small for the Monitors. I was going to build my own stands using some thick-wall 6" PVC pipe and MDF, but my abilities to build anything had deteriorated too much and faster than I anticipated. Anyway, so happy you're listening to them!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61740[/ATTACH]

John A.
    the stands work fine and are heavy but the top plate could be a bit larger really, at least for these speakers. these speakers are bigger than i originally thought. i put no skid type pads on the top plates so the speakers themselves won't slide too easy. i've already bumped into them a few times when i'm not using my cane and they stayed. tweeters are 48 inches from floor to center of tweeter. almost perfect for my ears when i sit in the sweet spot on my couch. i moved the speakers another 6" forward, that's about 18" from back of speakers to wall. i like them there a bit better with the eyes closed test and the mid-tunnel plug out and switch at "far" position. i'm gonna move them a little closer together too and try that spot.

did you get the center channel stands at PE? are those the stands in your image there? i see you have the ribbon tweeter too. those speakers sure look good!!

yes, i'm quite happy too and very pleased with them. had no idea how much "acoustics" i have been missing with the old system. glad i did the DIY approach though it had its moments, but building anything does. so yessir, i'm enjoying these speaker very much.

i'll post some measurements someday soon as i want to try doing that too.

Leave a comment:

• johnastockman
    replied

Looks great! It sure feels amazing to finally get the speakers done and hooked up, enjoying your music collection all over again. Did you like how the Duratex turned out? It makes me smile every time I see a build/project come to fruition, because I know the feelings and emotions you can experience by going with the DIY option. How are those stands working? Is the top plate big enough? Just curious, as I have two "center channel speaker" stands that are 18" tall. They put the tweeters right at a good height when I'm sitting down. I got them because the top plates were larger than other stands I looked at. An 8" x 9" top plate was too small for the Monitors. I was going to build my own stands using some thick-wall 6" PVC pipe and MDF, but my abilities to build anything had deteriorated too much and faster than I anticipated. Anyway, so happy you're listening to them!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Statement Monitor with stand.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	1170233

John A.

Leave a comment:

• sydkz
    replied

Nice work! Looking forward to some photos. I tried my Statement Monitors using different placement options and the mid tunnel closed vs open. I have the luxury of putting them anywhere I want, so they can be away from the back wall as much as they need. Right now, it's 20". I took some notes with closed and open. The plugs will stay in the drawer, as the soundfield really opens up without them in. You can really tell when you close your eyes...the width increases beyond the physical locations and the depth opens up to give you a bit of front/back extension. I always find it fascinating how things like imaging and soundfield presentation can be discerned much better when you just close your eyes. I know there's some physiological and psychological processes going on and I can't explain that part, but it does work. It has helped me immeasurably over the years for evaluation purposes. I learned it back in the early 70s while I was attending the classes that Pat Snyder and Dave Graebener hosted here in Seattle. Pat would talk about how your perception of imaging/soundfield was changed and enhanced with your eyes closed. My boss, the owner of The Stereo Shoppe, also told me when I first started there, showing me how to take effective notes during listening sessions. Always close your eyes he said. 10 years after my experiences with Pat and Dave, the owner told me the same thing.

John A.

that's fascinating!! i can do the same here regarding placement, anywhere i want to test and such. cats & friends don't mind. ;-)

in the image i uploaded tonight in my music room, the speakers are currently 12" from wall (edge of speaker to wall) and 85" center of speaker-to-speaker. just randomly put them in those distances today.

hmm, 20" for yours, ok, i'll try that distance too. i'm gonna try your suggestions and Jim's suggestions. i think i got it backwards when i read about those specs in their design paper when i first started this project. typical for me. glad you guys opened my eyes so to speak, and i'll play around with that with music and movies and check it out. i'll try the eyes closed approach for sure.

musicians that are blind have always fascinated me with their uncanny skill. often wondered if their perception of tones and note choices were perceived by them slightly differently than those of us who are not blind. with the compensation of their hearing being kicked up a notch or two as the human body is incredible in that area of compensating to help out.

i'll play around with these Finalists, take some notes, and report back.

Leave a comment:

• sydkz
    replied

Originally posted by Jim Holtz View Post
    Excellent! That's great to hear.

It sounds like you have the placement for open back mids. I'd suggest you give the Finalists a listen that way and see what you like best. Open back with the switch down really opens up the sound stage. It works great on movies too.

Enjoy!

Jim
    ok. will do. i was listening to some fusion station off the internet via the Denon today, cranked up a bit and these speakers sure push some air through the top tube!! so cool.

i'll try your suggestion tonite and tomorrow and check it out. i'll report back later.

Leave a comment:

• sydkz
    replied

here are 4 images showing the back (again) with the mid-tube open just for grins in case someone wanted to see it.

and one image of them in my music room where i hang out. the camera and i are not pro's so hope the clarity is adequate for you folks.

you'll see where put one of the polk rt55 as a center for now.

thanks much for the team work here, you folks pitched in more than you'll know.

for now, i'm gonna enjoy the find sound i'm hearing and chill out. cheers!!!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• sydkz
    replied

here are the finished monitors as best as i can finish them.

really really nice sounding, did i mention that before? i think so.

this is the front and one image showing the back. stating the obvious. ;-)
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• johnastockman
    replied

Nice work! Looking forward to some photos. I tried my Statement Monitors using different placement options and the mid tunnel closed vs open. I have the luxury of putting them anywhere I want, so they can be away from the back wall as much as they need. Right now, it's 20". I took some notes with closed and open. The plugs will stay in the drawer, as the soundfield really opens up without them in. You can really tell when you close your eyes...the width increases beyond the physical locations and the depth opens up to give you a bit of front/back extension. I always find it fascinating how things like imaging and soundfield presentation can be discerned much better when you just close your eyes. I know there's some physiological and psychological processes going on and I can't explain that part, but it does work. It has helped me immeasurably over the years for evaluation purposes. I learned it back in the early 70s while I was attending the classes that Pat Snyder and Dave Graebener hosted here in Seattle. Pat would talk about how your perception of imaging/soundfield was changed and enhanced with your eyes closed. My boss, the owner of The Stereo Shoppe, also told me when I first started there, showing me how to take effective notes during listening sessions. Always close your eyes he said. 10 years after my experiences with Pat and Dave, the owner told me the same thing.

John A.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Holtz
    replied

Excellent! That's great to hear.

It sounds like you have the placement for open back mids. I'd suggest you give the Finalists a listen that way and see what you like best. Open back with the switch down really opens up the sound stage. It works great on movies too.

Enjoy!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• sydkz
    replied

they're ALIVE!

i got the drivers installed yesterday afternoon, and connected them to my Denon AVR-x3000. like WOW factor exponential with the tunes now! i put one of my old Polk rt55 as a center channel just for now. that made a big difference with a movie.

but for music, the Finalists are blowing me away in a grand way. right now the speakers are ~15" out from wall and ~8' between them sitting on 24" high stands (PE stands). and i'm ~11' from them on the couch. i'm using the equalizer on the Denon and not Audiology for now. the near/far switch is set to near. i perceive a slight boost in highs set at near. and i have the mid-tube closed vs open. i'll experiment more with that later.

these are some really really nice sounding monitors!! worth the wait as the build took me a long time even with the panels pre-cut. fitting i completed them on veterans day, considering that is why i'm a bit slower than most.

i'll get some images uploaded at their finished state in a couple of days. enjoying what my ears/brain have missed all this time with the old Polks rt55's.

oh, and i've downloaded a couple of apps to take measurements. i'll post those when i actually get those apps to work. ;-)

thanks for all the help and advice from everyone on this thread!! i couldn't have done this without your help. really appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• sydkz
    replied

I wouldn't use one. I'd be afraid of compatibility issues with the materials, but maybe someone has done it and found the right clear to use. It can make dusting an issue with the rough surface, but the guy I made those for loves it. I used spray-on Duplicolor bed liner in the past for many speakers and subs, never used clear. Still going strong with no flaking, chipping or deterioration problems. From what I've experienced so far with the Duratex, I expect similar results and long term viability.

John A.
    good to know, then i won't venture into that step. one less step suits me. i'm sure i've added more steps than i actually needed anyways. ;-)

the second coat looks good. one more coat may just nail it for me. thanks

Leave a comment:

• johnastockman
    replied

I wouldn't use one. I'd be afraid of compatibility issues with the materials, but maybe someone has done it and found the right clear to use. It can make dusting an issue with the rough surface, but the guy I made those for loves it. I used spray-on Duplicolor bed liner in the past for many speakers and subs, never used clear. Still going strong with no flaking, chipping or deterioration problems. From what I've experienced so far with the Duratex, I expect similar results and long term viability.

John A.

Leave a comment:

• sydkz
    replied

The Duratex "coats" go a long way. I got the little 2-way kit and after 6 coats with the foam roller on the TriTrix boxes, I had 1/3 of the Duratex left over. I used the included roller for each coat on these, all 6.

The only prep on the MDF I did was sanding, then a wipe-down with a couple of tack cloths. I thought it wouldn't take as many coats as I used, but after the first go around, I realized I needed more than two or three. If that might be more texture than you want, you can experiment with a different roller type/texture. I didn't try anything else, just the roller that came in the kit. Let us know how it turns out and what you used roller-wise.

John A.
    those look good! that's what i'm using, the roller that came with the dura-tex. it will take at least 2-3 coats for me at least. i may try another roller, not sure. there's no need for any type of clear coat after the dura-tex is there?

thanks for the help

Leave a comment:

• johnastockman
    replied

The Duratex "coats" go a long way. I got the little 2-way kit and after 6 coats with the foam roller on the TriTrix boxes, I had 1/3 of the Duratex left over. I used the included roller for each coat on these, all 6.

The only prep on the MDF I did was sanding, then a wipe-down with a couple of tack cloths. I thought it wouldn't take as many coats as I used, but after the first go around, I realized I needed more than two or three. If that might be more texture than you want, you can experiment with a different roller type/texture. I didn't try anything else, just the roller that came in the kit. Let us know how it turns out and what you used roller-wise.

John A.

Leave a comment:

• sydkz
    replied

he's back!

took me awhile but i just put the first coat of dura-tex on the cabs today. i spent a few weeks doodling a bit with glue-sizing the mdf edges and a few coats of zinsser. probably didn't need it since dura-tex i see now doesn't need a primer. oh well. i was waiting on the dura-tex to be shipped and it gave me some new experience puttin about in the garage.

i don't know if i'll use the "sponge" roller for the second coat or do i have to? seems enough "texture" for me just with the first coat. so maybe one of the smooth rollers i have laying about.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X