Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I may not be around as much for a while...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnastockman
    replied
    Re: I may not be around as much for a while...

Thanks for sharing your issues and prospects with us. As a young man around 10 years old, I had to deal with Ankylosing Spondylitis (well, still do actually), a defective HLA-B27 gene that made my immune system "see" my joint cartilage as defective, so it destroyed it...all of it. I had to use crutches to get around for 12 years because by the time I was 14, my entire spine and both hip joints had completely fused. I went through unimaginable challenges to be able to walk w/o any help and achieve my dream of being able to ride motorcycles again. The surgeries were cake compared to the tortuous 3-days-a-week-for-6-years physical therapy to get my 12-year atrophied muscles working again. After 3 years and 3 total hip replacement surgeries (the first one failed and had to be re-done), I threw away those crutches and bought my first street bike in May 1983 and never looked back. I endured 3 more hip replacements from 1983 to 1993, as the cement used to secure the implant would deteriorate and had to be re-done. In 1989 and 1993 I had the new-then cement-less implants "installed" and no trouble since.

I wish you the BEST...I learned that it's not what happens that's important, it's how you take it. My prognosis was not good in the beginning, I was looking at a permanent wheelchair existence and docs said I most likely would not live past 40 with all the degeneration from all the other collagen-based tissues, joint cartilage and muscle fibers. It took me almost 2 years to find a surgeon that would perform total hip replacements on a 22-year-old guy. I learned also NOT to tell them my dream/goal was to ride a motorcycle again. If I had gone through all I did to play some ball sport, climb a mountain or run a marathon, I would've been lauded as a hero, applauded for my courage, conviction and determination. Did it to be able to ride a motorcycle? Get outta here loser! Not worthy of any attention, adulation or congratulations. I never did it for attention or congratulation, it was my dream, yet I was treated like I was doing something immoral or illegal, by both friends and the medical community. Anyway, we all care about you and wishing a healthy recovery and solution. It doesn't matter what issue it is, as it's all relative to your own foundation of experiences. Mine is not worse that any one else in a health-risk situation, it's just a different one. Good luck and keep us apprised of your health and how things are going for you.

John A.

Leave a comment:

• Ron_E
    replied

Wishing you a speedy return to good health.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• tubesguy
    replied

Best of luck to you, Jeff. The living donor situation can work very well, as it recently did in the case of one of my good friends who was able to donate to his wife. And just think - you with a healthy kidney, and your brother off the smoking. What a combo!

Leave a comment:

• speedle
    replied

All our prayers are with you Jeff, it sounds like you're on the right path to recovery now. Thanks for everything you do and for keeping us updated!

Leave a comment:

• peepaj
    replied

Best wishes and prayers go out to you Jeff. The one little piece of advise I can pass along is Do Not eat Ham while on dialysis, My dad was on it for 9 years and said it will make you sick the next time you go for dialysis.

Leave a comment:

• biff
    replied

Be well my friend, you are an amazing man and the good will you have shared will surely help your journey.

Leave a comment:

• thekorvers
    replied

Sorry to hear about your troubles Jeff. Hang in there and maintain a positive attitude. You will be sorely missed while you are gone, so hurry up and get better. You have a lot of admirers here!

Leave a comment:

• EarlK
    replied

Best Wishes Jeff, along with many Prayers for your health.

EarlK

Leave a comment:

• corradizo
    replied

God bless you Jeff.

Leave a comment:

• davepellegrene
    replied

Good luck! Hope you get well soon.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• woodsart
    replied

Very pleased the neck surgery went well. You're on your way.

I also have an apology to make concerning the Kairos. I mentioned before the top end lacked some sizzle or crispness. Come to find out it was internet issues. Our internet signal/cable entering our home is damaged, so we have been experiencing lost connections...slow speeds and interference. It took awhile to see this but one day they sounded up to speed and performing like Champs. Comcast will be here tomorrow to correct the problem.

In the meanwhile I received the 3 quarks impeccably packed and the little Voxel. So, I will be busy. I will post some pics.

The Lord Bless And Keep You!

Leave a comment:

• skatz
    replied

Jeff I logged on to tell you that I went to PE today and bought a pair of Solstice kits when I found this thread. Gives everything a different perspective. I have every confidence that you will ultimately do well, but there will be challenges. It might actually help your recovery to remain connected to the board. I know you are hoping for a transplant. Better still would be the promise of stem cell research and the ability to grow a new kidney for you from your own cells! That could happen someday. So enough said for now; you know we are all with you as you go through this ordeal.

Leave a comment:

• 4thtry
    replied

Jeff,

Best wishes for a fast recovery. Hope to see you again at InDIYana 2016!

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Stu
    replied

Hey Jeff,

God Bless you my friend. I know everything will be ok and I know the Lord will heal you! All the very best.

Leave a comment:

• ejh2854
    replied

What they said! ...best wishes for a smooth and speedy recovery.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X