Speedster build in surplus store boxes and a NeoCD1.0 question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedster build in surplus store boxes and a NeoCD1.0 question

After building the Overnight Sensations and Voxel sub, I'm now working on a set of Speedsters in boxes I found at Ax-Man Surplus for $3 each. The box dimensions (7" W x 10" T x 8" D) are almost to spec for the Speedsters. They are a bit beaten up, but it will add to the character.

I'll get some more pics added as I get further along, but I have a question.
    Are the Fountek NeoCD1.0 supposed to have a sealed rear chamber? I'm in the process of returning this one due to a flange issue (can be seen in second pic), but noticed that the rear chamber on both tweeters have a gap as can be seen below:

The replacement tweeter looks to be fully sealed.
    Thanks for you assistance with this,
    Nate
    Last edited by silverD; 10-02-2015, 12:20 AM. Reason: Moved question to the top
    My Builds - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Re: Speedster build in surplus store boxes and a NeoCD1.0 question

Hey silverD, those look like a blast! Love the little boxes, I hope you figure out how to allow them to still open up, very cool indeed. The Fountek's are way above my pay grade. Keep us posted, neat mini-speak build. Have fun, all the best, Mike

P.S. Welcome to the club, you are now an official Audio Lunatic!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LongHorn64 View Post
      Hey silverD, those look like a blast! Love the little boxes, I hope you figure out how to allow them to still open up, very cool indeed. The Fountek's are way above my pay grade. Keep us posted, neat mini-speak build. Have fun, all the best, Mike

P.S. Welcome to the club, you are now an official Audio Lunatic!!!
      Thanks LongHorn! I plan on keeping the hinges and latches intact and will use closed cell weather stripping to seal it when it latches. I'll tack the wire to the hinge side to allow it to open.

At $50 a driver, I need to make sure that the ribbons are not a defect. I'm sure someone will know.
      Thanks,
      Nate
      My Builds - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

I'm really looking for input on whether the NeoCD1.0 should have a sealed rear chamber without gaps. I'm almost ready to mount the drivers. I can call PE as well.
        Here is a pic of the progress:

Thanks,
        Nate

Comment

Originally posted by silverD View Post
          I'm really looking for input on whether the NeoCD1.0 should have a sealed rear chamber without gaps. I'm almost ready to mount the drivers. I can call PE as well.
          Here is a pic of the progress:

Thanks,
          Nate
          AFAIK, the encasement that has the gap is only around the transformer. The membrane actually meets the aluminum 'sinks on the top and bottom of the case through and underneath the faceplate. I don't know if the TxF chamber is adjoined to the membrane area internally or not. You could always schmear some caulk/silicone around the perimeter to seal it up and have no worries.

Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
            AFAIK, the encasement that has the gap is only around the transformer. The membrane actually meets the aluminum 'sinks on the top and bottom of the case through and underneath the faceplate. I don't know if the TxF chamber is adjoined to the membrane area internally or not. You could always schmear some caulk/silicone around the perimeter to seal it up and have no worries.

Later,
            Wolf
            Thanks Wolf, good suggestion. I did call PE earlier and a tech is looking into it and will call me back. I'll post what I find out.
            I'm marking the driver and port mounting holes as well as cutting back some of the dense foam rubber that was in the box when I bought them. I'm leaving ~40.5 inch^3 of the material to reduce the box volume back to spec.
            Nate

Comment

I'm looking at one of my NeoCD1's and there's no gap but it clearly looks like it's a two piece construction and yours has a gap at the seam that mine doesn't.

Ron
              C-Note Iron Driver Build
              The Lydias
              The Cherry π's
              The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
              My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

Originally posted by Ron_E View Post
                I'm looking at one of my NeoCD1's and there's no gap but it clearly looks like it's a two piece construction and yours has a gap at the seam that mine doesn't.

Ron
                Thanks Ron,
                The PE tech got back to me and said that it isn't of concern, but if I do have issues to give them a call. I took Wolf's advice and sealed it with some gel super glue. I hope to get them assembled tomorrow
                Nate

Comment

I completed the Speedsters over the weekend and they sound great! Another awesome Paul C. design. They are in a 11.5" x 13" room and the W4-1720 beasts do very well with low end extension. The NeoCD1.0 are my first ribbons and they sound fantastic. I've been able to pick out nuances in tracks I have not heard before.
                  With my phone, AudioTool app, and iMM-6 mic I was able to verify that the spec'd tweeter polarity didn't produce a null. When I reversed the tweeter's polarity, the null was evident.
                  Here are a few pics of the completed surplus box Speedsters:

As you can see I cut out about half the foam that lined the sides of the box. I'm not sure what those letters on the foam indicate or what was stored in them previously.
                  Nate

Comment

Nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEio4rQDU5A

Comment

Pretty Cool! Nice job! Mark

Comment

Haha, best suggestion so far!
                        Thanks djg and Mark.

Comment

Wow those really turned out great! The abilility to open them and show the insides is pretty cool. Nice work!

Comment

Nate, are those boxes sold out? I looked at their site and couldn't find them.
                            Can't beat the price!

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Basel View Post
                              Nate, are those boxes sold out? I looked at their site and couldn't find them.
                              Can't beat the price!
                              Pete,
                              I'm sorry to say that they were the only 2 I saw at the St. Paul location. They are very interesting surplus stores (as the pictures would indicate) here in the twincities. I'm surprised they even sell on the internet since they carry so much random stuff.
                              Last edited by silverD; 10-07-2015, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X