Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearforce One
    replied
    Found this thread v interesting, since I love a well-executed shortcut, so I started scouring the interweb for anything suitable..

There's a lot of crappy "boxes" out there, but I eventually found this potential gem for quite reasonable money. In the UK though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Sol...D/174426507263

Bought two for myself, with a view to the future..

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied
    Re: Speedster build in surplus store boxes and a NeoCD1.0 question

Originally posted by silverD View Post
    Thanks Pete and Paul. I have recently been keeping an eye out for items that could be used as speaker cabinets when checking out thrift stores.
    That's when you know you're addicted. ;) It's OK, we all can relate.

Leave a comment:

• silverD
    replied

Thanks Pete and Paul. I have recently been keeping an eye out for items that could be used as speaker cabinets when checking out thrift stores. I was thrilled to find these surplus boxes that worked out for a project. They are unique and sure did cut down the time spent on this build.
    Nate

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

This is super cool. You are the envy of many a DIYer with those boxes.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Basel
    replied

Thanks, didn't know that. They came out really nice by the way.

Leave a comment:

• silverD
    replied

Originally posted by Pete Basel View Post
    Nate, are those boxes sold out? I looked at their site and couldn't find them.
    Can't beat the price!
    Pete,
    I'm sorry to say that they were the only 2 I saw at the St. Paul location. They are very interesting surplus stores (as the pictures would indicate) here in the twincities. I'm surprised they even sell on the internet since they carry so much random stuff.
    Last edited by silverD; 10-07-2015, 01:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Basel
    replied

Nate, are those boxes sold out? I looked at their site and couldn't find them.
    Can't beat the price!

Leave a comment:

• dynamo
    replied

Wow those really turned out great! The abilility to open them and show the insides is pretty cool. Nice work!

Leave a comment:

• silverD
    replied

Haha, best suggestion so far!
    Thanks djg and Mark.

Leave a comment:

• Psycoacoustics
    replied

Pretty Cool! Nice job! Mark

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied

Nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEio4rQDU5A

Leave a comment:

• silverD
    replied

I completed the Speedsters over the weekend and they sound great! Another awesome Paul C. design. They are in a 11.5" x 13" room and the W4-1720 beasts do very well with low end extension. The NeoCD1.0 are my first ribbons and they sound fantastic. I've been able to pick out nuances in tracks I have not heard before.
    With my phone, AudioTool app, and iMM-6 mic I was able to verify that the spec'd tweeter polarity didn't produce a null. When I reversed the tweeter's polarity, the null was evident.
    Here are a few pics of the completed surplus box Speedsters:

As you can see I cut out about half the foam that lined the sides of the box. I'm not sure what those letters on the foam indicate or what was stored in them previously.
    Nate

Leave a comment:

• silverD
    replied

Originally posted by Ron_E View Post
    I'm looking at one of my NeoCD1's and there's no gap but it clearly looks like it's a two piece construction and yours has a gap at the seam that mine doesn't.

Ron
    Thanks Ron,
    The PE tech got back to me and said that it isn't of concern, but if I do have issues to give them a call. I took Wolf's advice and sealed it with some gel super glue. I hope to get them assembled tomorrow
    Nate

Leave a comment:

• Ron_E
    replied

I'm looking at one of my NeoCD1's and there's no gap but it clearly looks like it's a two piece construction and yours has a gap at the seam that mine doesn't.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• silverD
    replied

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    AFAIK, the encasement that has the gap is only around the transformer. The membrane actually meets the aluminum 'sinks on the top and bottom of the case through and underneath the faceplate. I don't know if the TxF chamber is adjoined to the membrane area internally or not. You could always schmear some caulk/silicone around the perimeter to seal it up and have no worries.

Later,
    Wolf
    Thanks Wolf, good suggestion. I did call PE earlier and a tech is looking into it and will call me back. I'll post what I find out.
    I'm marking the driver and port mounting holes as well as cutting back some of the dense foam rubber that was in the box when I bought them. I'm leaving ~40.5 inch^3 of the material to reduce the box volume back to spec.
    Nate

Leave a comment:

Working...
X