Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuse on a horn

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fuse on a horn

    I'm wondering if anyone can give me some info on protecting a horn with a fuse. A friend keeps blowing their tweeter in their PA rig. It has a decent crossover in it which is never affected. I believe it's a 3rd order crossover. Components are high end. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of sizing a fuse for the crossover or just the tweeter at least.

  • #2
    Re: Fuse on a horn

    The problem with a fuse is that it's resistance changes when it heats up. I wonder if a better answer would be a larger compression driver?
    Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Fuse on a horn

      Originally posted by Melby Audio View Post
      The problem with a fuse is that it's resistance changes when it heats up. I wonder if a better answer would be a larger compression driver?
      I was afraid you'd say that. Ha ha. Well that my be what we do next.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Fuse on a horn

        Fuses tend to either blow too soon or not at all. The best way to protect HF horns is to multi-amp with an active crossover, which lowers HF driver-killing distortion, and use a limiter. Constantly blowing drivers is also an indicator of not having enough speakers to do the job.
        www.billfitzmaurice.com
        www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Fuse on a horn

          Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
          Fuses tend to either blow too soon or not at all. The best way to protect HF horns is to multi-amp with an active crossover, which lowers HF driver-killing distortion, and use a limiter. Constantly blowing drivers is also an indicator of not having enough speakers to do the job.
          How do active crossovers work? Would that require re wiring the cabinet and having a separate input for the horn?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Fuse on a horn

            Unless there are two inputs, going active would involve re-wring. What are the make and model of the speaker in question? That would help in determining what would be the best solution.
            Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Fuse on a horn

              I have no idea whether this would work but how about the light bulb solution JBL and some others have used?

              http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...lla-33/392532-

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Fuse on a horn

                Originally posted by philthien View Post
                I have no idea whether this would work but how about the light bulb solution JBL and some others have used?
                It may help, but it won't turn an inadequate system into an adequate system.
                www.billfitzmaurice.com
                www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Fuse on a horn

                  Originally posted by philthien View Post
                  I have no idea whether this would work but how about the light bulb solution JBL and some others have used?

                  http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...lla-33/392532-
                  I still remember this scene from a local wedding when I was a teen:
                  Somebody decides to spring a "surprise" photo sideshow (with music) on the couple.
                  No audio provision was made ahead of time, so the MC (on a stage) passes down a wireless mic to the family "techie" to carry over to the projector / ghetto blaster setup - who proceeds to walk 10 feet in front of the mains stack without muting the mic.
                  Untrained instinct kicks in, techie immediately cups the mic with his hand, shifting the feedback up in frequency and roughly doubling amplitude.
                  Simultaneously (circling back on topic) - a bright glow is seen emanating from the mains' ports... until the horns blow a second or two later.
                  Moral of the story: I'm not sure the bulbs are as foolproof as a properly setup voltage limiter.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Fuse on a horn

                    Originally posted by RDK View Post
                    I'm wondering if anyone can give me some info on protecting a horn with a fuse. A friend keeps blowing their tweeter in their PA rig. It has a decent crossover in it which is never affected. I believe it's a 3rd order crossover. Components are high end. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of sizing a fuse for the crossover or just the tweeter at least.
                    May I suggest a Polyswitch?

                    "A polymeric positive temperature coefficient device (PPTC, commonly known as a resettable fuse, polyfuse or polyswitch) is a passive electronic component used to protect against overcurrent faults in electronic circuits."

                    http://www.parts-express.com/cat/pol...ble-fuses/1433

                    Hopefully your friend has plenty enough amplifier power as opposed to not having quite enough.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X