Chromecast Audio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chromecast Audio?

Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
    Twitter: @undefinition1

Re: Chromecast Audio?

Hard to say if it will allow for streaming of local files. What I have read it talks about the cast feature being in "your favorite apps". It's said to support optical as well. Will it support high quality file formats and what DAC is it using?
    Only time will tell...
    My Builds - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

I'm pretty sure all you need is an app that can stream to a Chromecast device. Pandora would work, but there are also apps that can stream local files from your device to a Chromecast. I bought a pair of Chromecast on sale once for about $60-$70. I use one with a TV and my plan was to hack the audio out from the other one and use it for streaming audio. These would eliminate the need to hack. I have no idea what the sound quality would be like though. I would think that it would compress any local files into some other format before it sends it to the Chromecast, but I might be wrong on that.

Comment

My buddy just bought one of those and streaming Spotify sounds great, that's even on a set of speakers with ribbon tweeters.
        A mains
        The Ventures
        Open Invit8tions
        RSR
        Sound Troopers
        Acorns
        DGBG's
        The Monuments

Comment

From my read, the new device connects your phone or tablet to speakers and is part of Google's attempt to stay in the game in a more mobile-(and less-desktop-)centric universe.

They are basically in the business of selling ads. If there is a way to sell more ads by streaming your local files, then it will happen. If not, it will not happen.

Comment

To the OP, it works with any "cast enabled app". That's how I understand it. Looks no different than Apple airplay with the exception that it will actually work with more than just iTunes. It would make a lot more sense to me if there were a Windows driver you could install that would stream all audio from any program to the device, just like selecting any other audio output.
            "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
            exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

The app or software that plays must be Cast enabled.
              Few music players are. None that have advanced features like playlists, remote content access, etc.

There is an add on app for Android called AirAudio that will hack Android to allow any app to cast to almost anything that can receive a stream.
              It works, unlike all the others I've tried.
              The only downside is it requires root access. This is apparently a limitation of the Android operating system and probably explains why it works.

I use it to send audio to a Raspberry Pi, a receiver and an older Airport, with any app that I want to use to play content.

I'm still looking for hardware specs on this thing.
              If it is decent then the price certainly makes it very attractive.
              But it still has all the software limitations and hacks that all the other Squeeze pretenders have.

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post

What exactly about my favorite tunes will it cast? Does it just stream Pandora and Spotify (ie: internet sources)? Because there's a LOT more to what I listen to than just some streaming. Specifically, can it play back local files? If so, then could this--maybe, just maybe--be that Squeezebox replacement everyone's been longing for all these years?
              ~99%
              Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
              Make me a poster of an old rodeo
              Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
              To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

Originally posted by bobbarkto View Post
                The app or software that plays must be Cast enabled.
                Few music players are. None that have advanced features like playlists, remote content access, etc.

There is an add on app for Android called AirAudio that will hack Android to allow any app to cast to almost anything that can receive a stream.
                It works, unlike all the others I've tried.
                The only downside is it requires root access. This is apparently a limitation of the Android operating system and probably explains why it works.

I use it to send audio to a Raspberry Pi, a receiver and an older Airport, with any app that I want to use to play content.

I'm still looking for hardware specs on this thing.
                If it is decent then the price certainly makes it very attractive.
                But it still has all the software limitations and hacks that all the other Squeeze pretenders have.
                Thank you, Bob. You're helping me get to the bottom of this.

A few months ago, a guy I worked with lent me a Chromecast. I tried it, and thought it worked well, for what it did. However, it was no match to having a plain old Windows PC hooked up to the TV. The Chromecast was more of a "walled garden"--at least from what I could tell--and a PC, well, I can make it play pretty much anything I want from any website or file or whatever.

There may have been more functionality the Chromecast was capable of, I just didn't know about it.

Comment

One person I talked to about Chrome Cast Audio CCA? saw it a potential low cost threat to Sonos

Comment

Originally posted by mike s View Post
                    One person I talked to about Chrome Cast Audio CCA? saw it a potential low cost threat to Sonos
                    Maaaaybe, but I don't know. I think it's two different markets. Like, the Chevy Spark might be a decent bang for the buck car, but it's not stealing away any of BMW's customers.

Comment

Chromecast Audio?

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                      Looks no different than Apple airplay with the exception that it will actually work with more than just iTunes. It would make a lot more sense to me if there were a Windows driver you could install that would stream all audio from any program to the device, just like selecting any other audio output.
                      You can do that for AirPlay devices with Airfoil. http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

Comment

Originally posted by rhodesj View Post
                        You can do that for AirPlay devices with Airfoil. http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/
                        That's neat, too bad it's $30 on top of the $120 you'd already pay for the Airport. I am hoping something similar is made for the much less expensive Chrome Audio device. It's only a matter of time. I think it would benefit Google greatly to make the chrome audio protocol open source.
                        "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with

Comment

I'm going to check these out at RMAF and in the near future get one: Aurilic Aries Mini or BlueSound Node 2. The BlueSound first generation Node 1 is on sale at Audio Advisor for $339. Both of these look like stellar products. They are loaded with features for the price.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/a...LpbqSusZ8lD.97

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BDNODE2

Comment

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
                            Looks no different than Apple airplay with the exception that it will actually work with more than just iTunes.
                            FYI, Airplay works with anything that plays or streams music on an iDevice. For audio, that's any player app OR native files stored on the device, even when viewing video. For video, Airplay streams both audio and video through Apple TV.

Airplay mirroring will mirror your device's display to your TV through Apple TV as well, so for presentations or showing off pictures etc. the TV displays exactly what's showing on the device.

Airplay is a wireless streaming ability built into the device's operating system, it's completely independent of the application or source. This is true based on my experience anyway... anything I've tried works this way, both on iPads and iPhones.

The price of Chromecast audio makes it VERY intriguing. If the sound quality is good and connectivity issues don't plague it, I'm sure it will be a hit. Airplay can be expensive, but compared to Sonos and other higher end solutions it's a relative bargain. It also works VERY well.

Some scoff at the cost of the Apple Airport Express, and I was one of them until I tried it out as a wireless router... for several years it served not only as a wife-friendly wireless streaming solution for speakers in our kitchen (no wires!), but also served as the MAIN WIRELESS ROUTER in our 1800sqft 3 story townhouse. Now I have three of them, and have extended my wireless coverage to include my entire (modestly sized) back yard, most of my front yard, and have added wireless streaming to speakers in my back garden as well as my garage. Three Dayton DA30's handle amplification beautifully, and their auto-on circuitry means no wasted power.

Regarding Sonos, I'm convinced the people who most often buy that stuff are those who a) have lots of money, b) aren't aware of more economical solutions, and c) are not very technically savvy and are afraid of "messing with stuff". I think it's ridiculous to think that cheaper devices won't erode their market share, especially as they become more common and better known. With Apple and now Google offering MUCH cheaper alternatives, I would hazard a guess that expensive Sonos-like products won't be increasing sales anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by superspeeder View Post
                              FYI, Airplay works with anything that plays or streams music on an iDevice. For audio, that's any player app OR native files stored on the device, even when viewing video. For video, Airplay streams both audio and video through Apple TV.
                              I should have been more clear. On a normal computer, as far as I can tell iTunes is the only option without some 3rd party software at extra expense. It would appear that airplay is intended for Apple mobile devices.

The problem with these devices (airplay or chromecast audio) for me is on a software level, not hardware. With Linux devices, I can enable them to broadcast all audio output to the local network, and receive and playback on any other linux device on the same network. This to me is far more powerful and functional, as it removes any need for software support such as "airplay support", "cast enabled" or any of those terms. The software simply plays audio as it always did, and the capability of the OS audio system takes care of the rest.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X